Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

When does insurance approve?

@@moe_2175 that's so awesome! I have Aetna as well. I have 6 months of visits with my doctor so I'm hoping to walk in on the 11th and submit to the insurance that day. I'm hoping bc I have everything together I can get a surgery date scheduled and get my life back. So Aetna didn't require any extra testing for approval?

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

@@moe_2175 that's so awesome! I have Aetna as well. I have 6 months of visits with my doctor so I'm hoping to walk in on the 11th and submit to the insurance that day. I'm hoping bc I have everything together I can get a surgery date scheduled and get my life back. So Aetna didn't require any extra testing for approval?

My plan required 3 months obsv. with supervised exercise program or 6 months without. So joining a gym and having the personal trainer write up a training program and go at least once a week sufficed. My bmi is 38 and I have hypertension and pre-diabetic taking metformin. They put me on a sleep study and the result came back as having sleep apnea so it heightened my chances of approval. I was required to see the NUT once a month and had a chest X-ray and a couple of lab work. It went by pretty smooth and gone by fast!

Edited by bnicolexo

Does anyone have BCBS NC?

I have BCBSNC

Hello Everyone,I have my first appointment with the surgeon on Jan 11th and i believe all my ducks are in a row and i have met all of the qualifications for my insurance. When exactly does the insurance approve or deny? Do i need to be finished with all the testing before i get an after or will i be approved/denied pending testing results? also, does the doctors office schedule my testing appointments or do i do that at my leisure? I want to get a surgery date asap so im trying to get everything together now.Autumn

Hello! I too am so curious to have all this info! My first appointment is on the tenth. I was given a list of questions I have to call my insurance and ask them. I'm curious to see if it's six months with the surgeon or if previous attempts count with my primary.. we have been trying different things to help me. I am a huge planner. I like to have a plan for everything and all the unknowns are eating me up! Good luck at your first appointment! I'm interested in hearing about you appointment on the eleventh since we're close to the same stages!!

Every thing has been scheduled for the Jan 26 for stomach test and surgery on the Jan 31 already got meds for after surgery. Just afraid insurance will cancel before I get there just hoping it all works out

Hello Everyone, I have my first appointment with the surgeon on Jan 11th and i believe all my ducks are in a row and i have met all of the qualifications for my insurance. When exactly does the insurance approve or deny? Do i need to be finished with all the testing before i get an after or will i be approved/denied pending testing results? also, does the doctors office schedule my testing appointments or do i do that at my leisure? I want to get a surgery date asap so im trying to get everything together now. Autumn

I'm glad to see someone else wondering the same thing that I have. I keep searching for an answer as well. I had my first appointment on December 21st with my surgeon, dietician, and psychologist. I brought in recent lab work, ultrasound of my liver and gallbladder, my sleep study report, and chest X-Ray. Everything the insurance needs, I already have met. I talked to them and since they have copies of all my records, they said I'm good to go.

But I guess I was hoping someone would've said something at my doctor's appointment. All they kept saying is that they will send a letter out the first week of the year. I even asked, 'What would be in the letter? Would it say if I'm accepted into the program?' But the only answer I got was 'Oh, you're definitely in the program.' So, I never got my answer.[

So, long story short, I too am wondering if they submitted last week my information to the insurance for approval and what could possibly be in that letter. Maybe it's the tests they still may need me to do, although I can't imagine what it would be. I'm not sure if all doctors require an EKG or endoscopy, but my blood pressure, sugar, and cholesterol have always been really good.

Sorry, I'm just going out of my mind and really want to, one, have a surgery date, but two, find out exactly what still needs to get done.

***Edit to add*** My original appointment was January 11th, but I was so impatient, I changed surgeons just so I could get in a month early.

Edited by Finding_Stacy

@@Finding_Stacy that's actually pretty funny. My original first apt was march 20th so I changed surgeons too. For something so serious I don't know why so many questions are left unanswered. I feel like its a learn as you go type of thing.

Hello Everyone, I have my first appointment with the surgeon on Jan 11th and i believe all my ducks are in a row and i have met all of the qualifications for my insurance. When exactly does the insurance approve or deny? Do i need to be finished with all the testing before i get an after or will i be approved/denied pending testing results? also, does the doctors office schedule my testing appointments or do i do that at my leisure? I want to get a surgery date asap so im trying to get everything together now. Autumn

I'm glad to see someone else wondering the same thing that I have. I keep searching for an answer as well. I had my first appointment on December 21st with my surgeon, dietician, and psychologist. I brought in recent lab work, ultrasound of my liver and gallbladder, my sleep study report, and chest X-Ray. Everything the insurance needs, I already have met. I talked to them and since they have copies of all my records, they said I'm good to go.

But I guess I was hoping someone would've said something at my doctor's appointment. All they kept saying is that they will send a letter out the first week of the year. I even asked, 'What would be in the letter? Would it say if I'm accepted into the program?' But the only answer I got was 'Oh, you're definitely in the program.' So, I never got my answer.[

So, long story short, I too am wondering if they submitted last week my information to the insurance for approval and what could possibly be in that letter. Maybe it's the tests they still may need me to do, although I can't imagine what it would be. I'm not sure if all doctors require an EKG or endoscopy, but my blood pressure, sugar, and cholesterol have always been really good.

Sorry, I'm just going out of my mind and really want to, one, have a surgery date, but two, find out exactly what still needs to get done.

***Edit to add*** My original appointment was January 11th, but I was so impatient, I changed surgeons just so I could get in a month early.

You can call your insurance to see if they submitted the request and your status on approval...as a lot over wls vets will say, you are your own biggest advocate...it's ok to be proactive in this...bug the hell out of your surgeons office and insurance. The faster you get surgery the faster they get paid anyway

Sent from my SM-G920V using the BariatricPal App

@@Finding_Stacy that's actually pretty funny. My original first apt was march 20th so I changed surgeons too. For something so serious I don't know why so many questions are left unanswered. I feel like its a learn as you go type of thing.

Lol I almost changed surgeons but my surgeon has such a good reputation and was my quickest appt. But as I stated before be your own advocate...very proactive in this pre op process...I bugged and checked on everything...made my own appointments for stuff I needed to get done and everything. Lol today I drove up to my office to get a surgery date after not being able to reach the scheduler by telephone and they emailed her again and by them time I was in my car she called and scheduled me...you just have to make them aware of how important this and also don't be afraid to let them know you have a deadline you're trying to me...whether true or not.

@@BubblesOhSoSleeved you're a real bad ass. I love it!

Lol, I mean they are so slow with it and have other patients as well...I did all of my stuff over the holidays and still got approved within a month...you just gotta stay on their asses...and make them remeber they aren't the only bariatric offices in town.