Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi Guys,

I avoid eating out at all costs. I think I have developed an anxiety with eating out (which is not a bad thing I guess). I'm used to eating what I know I can eat and when I eat something different it makes me anxious. Anyone else feel like this?

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

Nah. I know that they won't prep the way that I do but that is ok. I just make good choices when ordering and I feel good about it.

I end up having to eat out with friends or associates on a fairly regular basis. Like @ says, make careful choices, and eat slowly. One other thing I do is to divide up whatever comes on my plate before I start eating. I try to guess on the low side of what I can handle. It is better to be a tiny bit hungry than it is to feel bloated and uncomfortable for an hour or so. Diving it up gives you a definite stopping point.

I travel for work, so I had to figure out how to do restaurants pretty much from the start (I'll be a year out next week.) My game is to 1) check appetizers as a meal choice, 2) look at the gluten free options as many will be low carb, 3) order a cup of Soup only, 4) make a share plan with whoever I'm with, or 5) box up most of it. I have learned that not ordering makes the waiter and your meal mates uncomfortable, so I always order something. At buffets, I always look for big slices of watermelon. They make your plate look fuller, but are actually not much content. Lastly, don't be shy about asking for what you need. A lot of restaurants wont put plain chicken breast on their menu, but if you ask, they'll make it for you. (That's where going with the gluten free game pays off!!) I found Panera was super about just giving me chicken breast with no stuff for about $2.00. You can do it...and it's fun to feel like you can socialize normally again.

Sent from my SM-G920V using the BariatricPal App

Thanks for the insight. I've had lots of problems since surgery. I have reflux and a small hiatal hernia so trying to find foods that won't make me dry heave or be sick has been very hard. Anytime I go out I eat fish because it's easiest for me to digest. chicken I can't eat unless it's stewed or shredded very finely. I have lots of intolerances to food as well so I guess that's where the anxiety comes in. Thanks for your responses. I will have to continue to work with my surgeon to see what I can do.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App