Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Minnesota Folks-Where are you?

I had my surgery in Duluth on 8/31/09. I've tried for some time to find people from "up north" but have been unsuccessful. Glad to see people other than those down in the cities are around!

Hi Vic,

The group is open to any person regardles of your hospital location or whether Abbott hospital is your primary or not. It is located off of Chicago Ave. in Mpls in the Piper Blding. on the 6th floor. Group is every 2nd Monday of the month from 6-7:30.

I thoroughly enjoy the smaller group setting - everyone has the opportunity to check in- give support and listen. this group participates in 5k walk/runs and Galas, workshops etc. throughout the year. Very good support with a mix of oldies and newbies.

Hope you can make it.

Take care,

Newview

Been awhile since I have posted here. How are all you Minnesotans? How has your journeys been? I ws banded 2/13/07 232/182/145... It's been a bit of a struggle for me, but I am back on track and looking for some support here, If anyone has the time, please drop me a line. I am in chat also, and there is no one besides me in there from Minnesota, so come join us there is lots of good information there. Hope to see ya soon.

Hi all I'm in the northern side of mpls and I have health partners mn care insurance and was woundering if any one else has the same and what the process looks like with them. I have my semanair sceduled for next thurs the 26th.

Hi, I'm from West-Central Minnesota. I drove to the Bariatric Center at Abbott NW in September 2006 to have a lap band placed. As I was over 65 my insurance company required me to have my surgery at a hospital that did over 100 operations of this kind during the past year, and gave me the locations of only three in the State that qualified. My surgeon teaches at the U of M and I think there was a student in observation present. They had me go through a long list of tests before I was scheduled. I had to lose 30 pounds on my own before they accepted me also. I attended 3 seminars and several nutritional classes before being okayed. I have never been sorry since and would not think of having it removed. I am a frequent visitor to Lapband.com and visit here each morning with my cup of Java. Greetings to all other Banders from Minnesota! :D

Hello group! It's been awhile since my last post. My journey started in Jan 2008, where I started around 370lbs. I was able to loose 110 lbs plus before running into a serious with my band a couple of years back. The band slipped and I was having constant reflux no matter what was eaten. Water or food, it didn't matter. To fix the issue, all the Fluid was removed. Afterwards, I wasn't allowed to have any fluid injected for a period of time... I don't recall the length of time, but it was more than a few months. Though I have insurance, I can't keep up with the charges the insurance company will not cover, so more time lapsed. After a year or so, I returned to the doctor's office, but my doctor was no longer available. He had moved on! So, the new doctor checked things out with a serious of expensive tests and radiology. After a bit more time, the new doctor inject just a few cc to see how things behaved, then a month or later another cc. Its been more than an a year since I last seen a doctor because of the bills. Prior to the 3 cc I gained about 60 pounds back and since I've lost 30. It's been a long road, but I am still 70 pounds less than where I started and I am working (slowly) on reducing more without the doctors. I feel pretty good for the most part... the part that doesn't always feel good is more age related than anything...

Hi Minnesotans, I found this group several days ago and wondered why it wasn't hopping with activity. We must have a lot of Lap Banders in the area because we have some good bariatric centers available. I love my Band and would not part with it! I used to attend Group Band meetings but they were held 50 miles in distance. Rather far in winter, and I don't know if there are any active now. How would I go about finding out? Or if there are any more being held closer? The lap band path is a rather lonely one but with Lap Band Talk we can find encouragement. Keep pushing!

Hello there! I am new to this site. I had my band back on July 15, 2013. I had my surgery with Dr. William (Bill) J.Lee from Southern Minnesota Surgical.

today I found out he closed his local business and moved somewhere else in MN. I haven't had a huge weight loss since having my band placed: and now to top it off I have to find a new physician three days before I was supposed to have my next fill. Very frustrated right now!!!

I go to the teaching hospital/bariatric center near Abbott NW of Minneapolis. They do hundreds of our type lap band placements and my insurance company suggested them along with several others locations doing a quantity of our type. (Not so many problems!) Rochester mayo does not do these I was told. I've had 2 fills and will hopefully be getting another on October 7th. No problems, knock on wood! I love my band.

Hi Joanne,

Well I am glad to hear you love your band. I do too, just not my situation at the moment. I live near and work in Mankato, so having the surgeon right in town was great. If I had my fill it wouldn't be a big deal but I'm hungry and can't get into anyone for a fill for up to a month:-(

Hello neighbor☺️I am also in the twin cities. I was banded almost 2 years ago and I am glad that you have joined the group . It's nice to see another Minnesotan in this forum from the TC hopefully we will be able to be inspired and encouraged by our journey.

I'm not from the Twin Cities, I'm about an hour and a half south in the Mankato area. I'm three months in and finally getting to the green zone or so I am told.

:) We are all on another general site I guess. My lap band was placed September 8, 2006 at Abbott NW in Minneapolis and I am a Senior with B.C.B.S. insurance. I had the choice of 3 locations in the State that my insurance would cover (accept). They requested Bariatric Center & Surgeon who had a large track record. . . .maybe over 100 a year. . I don't recall the exact quantity . .

My computer is acting up . . . so I'm signing off. . .

:) We are all on another general site I guess. My lap band was placed September 8, 2006 at Abbott NW in Minneapolis and I am a Senior with B.C.B.S. insurance. I had the choice of 3 locations in the State that my insurance would cover (accept). They requested Bariatric Center & Surgeon who had a large track record. . . .maybe over 100 a year. . I don't recall the exact quantity . .

My computer is acting up . . . so I'm signing off. . .