Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Day 4 Post-Op - Is This Normal?

I had my surgery on 12/21 and have been doing very well with recovery. Zero nausea, manageable pain...only thing I'm still struggling with is gas/bloating/constipation which I'm working on with over the counter meds. I'm following my post-op diet faithfully and getting 80g Protein and 64g Water. I'm able to drink about 8oz of water, Soup or Protein shake in 15-20 mins. The literature my dr sent home with me - as well as everything I'm reading here in the forums - indicates it should be taking me upwards of 2 hours to consume 8 oz at this stage. Does this indicate something is wrong with my sleeve? Is it too big? I also feel hunger that I believe to be real and not just in my head. Curious if anyone else has had an experience like me, or if this is something I should address with my dr. next week?

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

liquids run right through your sleeve. Some people have problems swallowing at the esophagus. I did for just a few days because I had a hernia repair. But could drink 12 oz of Water in a few minutes and a whole pre made shake in 20 minutes.

I was hungry the first week (the 4th and 5th day were the worst), I was told that although the glands were removed with your stomach, the hunger hormones are still in my system. Don't know if that's true but by the end of the second week I was never hungry and now, 8 weeks post WLS, if I go a very long time without eating I do feel enough hunger to remind me to eat something.

@ I feel the same way. At 1st I thought maybe my stomach was still too big, but my surgeon reassured me that all is well and to keep up the good work. We just have to continue to follow doctors orders. I am struggling a bit with getting my fluids in. The best is yet to come. Thanks for sharing and Goodluck!

Sent from my SM-G935T using the BariatricPal App

Thanks all - I feel reassured. For gas and Constipation, my dr. Recommended taking up to 8 gas-x strips and two doses of Miralax per day. Still no action but I'm hoping for a Christmas miracle.

I had rny on 12/15, and aside from a small amount of diarrhea on day 4 and the tiniest terd you've ever seen on day 5, I had my first real BM today. I never felt constipated and my surgical gas was gone by around day 5-6, but I was a little concerned about not going. Today was the day, though. Merry Christmas Eve to me, lol! If I hadn't gone today, I was going to try miralax.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using the BariatricPal App

My husband had his sleeve on 12/20 -- mine is 3 years old. He can drink a whole Protein shake in a 15 mins or so as well.

I got to see the screen when he did his swallow test. It was super interesting -- his stomach was very small, but the liquid went into the stomach and then almost immediately into the intestines. This is why you should not have much trouble drinking as the liquid will move through. If you have trouble drinking it is due to intense swelling -- I don't think that is abmormal, but it is also not abnormal to be able to drink easily.

You will really feel the restriction once you move onto the solids.

I had my surgery on December 22 so I'm 3 days past my sleeve surgery. My stomach has been growling like I'm hungry for a couple days now. The growling is painful when it happens.

Has anyone else experienced this?

Kim

If I drink to fast I feel very nauseated... glad y'all are doing well...I ate scrambled eggs this morning...did okay...Merry Christmas fellow sleevers

I was sleeved on 12/21 as well I have no pain no nausea. I am having trouble with chest pains. It almost feel like a are a whopper and fries then finally took a sip of drink. I'm am not sure how long this is going to last. I tried to cook dinner for my family today and the pain was horrible. The only thing that helps is lying down. This is what I am drinking out of. I am good if I get two 8ounces down.

post-308170-1482714145487_thumb.jpg

Those are probably gas pains. They are awful. I've posted this several times, because it works. Lay with your knees and feet high above your head. sleep that way. It helps the pain and also helps expel the gas.

I was sleeved on 12/21 as well I have no pain no nausea. I am having trouble with chest pains. It almost feel like a are a whopper and fries then finally took a sip of drink. I'm am not sure how long this is going to last. I tried to cook dinner for my family today and the pain was horrible. The only thing that helps is lying down. This is what I am drinking out of. I am good if I get two 8ounces down.

Do you have to suck to drink from this cup? If so, that may be contributing to your gas pains. I tried to use mydaughter's cup which wasn't even a sippy, but it had a small top and it was a no go.

I sip. Do you recommend a regular cup? I thought this was helpful

I'm a revision patient. When I had lapband, I was able to find a child's cup that was insulated and I took the "sippy" valve out so that I didn't have to suck to get a drink. It was perfect. Now, I have my own child so there are plenty of cups around. Anything that doesn't require you to make suction should be fine, but if the cup is spill proof, it's probably going to give us some gas.

Gas x strips are great!!!