Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

You will be out when they insert it and so groggy that first day you won't even feel it. Mentally I wasn't thrilled when they were going to remove it but it takes a couple of seconds and it's done and out.

Relax and be brave.

Sent from my SM-N910T using the BariatricPal App

Best to check with your surgeon since this is one of those practices that varies widely. No right or wrong answer here. Just depends on your doctor's protocol.

I had one but many people don't. As others have said, you are out when it is inserted and it takes 2 seconds to remove. I really appreciated the convenience of being able to just rest in bed without having to deal with bladder issues. But that's me.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

Why do you think that they will put in catheter? I had my RNY in Sept & no catheter. I have had catheter 2 times before & didn't hurt. Don't worry no big deal.

I was just above 50 BMI but I didn't have to do a preop liquid diet...however I had the catheter and wasn't able to get up for over 12 hours. It wasn't awful.

I had one until yesterday, 2 days post surgery. I learning that my doctor is more on the conservative side based on what I'm seeing others post. No outpatient, everyone gets a catheter, strict liquids plan broken down to every 10 mins, Etc. I guess it's easier because there is a Bariatric recovery unit. I appreciate all the smalls things put in place to help us be successful

When I had my RNY I woke up with a Cath in. When They removed it I had no urge to go pee. They had to straight Cath me 3 times. They removed 3 IV bags full of urine. They couldn't or wouldn't release me until I could pee on my own. I was shocked because I have had surgeries with no problems in with this before.

Fast forward it to Sept of last years. I had my Panni done and of course I had a Cath. When they removed it I couldn't pee again. I sat on the toliet for 45 minutes trying to go running Water pushing on my bladder with nothing. They did the straight cath again. They say that it is pretty common. But that time I could go quicker because with my RNY I couldn't get enough fluids down but with the Panni I could drink more. Finally did my due and got to go home. As far as it hurting I can say it is a little uncomfortable when it is removed. Not near as bad as you anticipate You will be ok.

I had a cath and it was inserted after I was sedated and I don't remember it being removed. Right after surgery I was so out of it and it was safer for me to have a cath then for me to walk to the bathroom.

I hate catheters and I unfortunately had one! :-(

I was asleep while it was inserted, but I could certainly feel it every time that I moved in bed and walked. I begged for it to come out, but I had to wait until the next day until I had enough urine output.

I hate getting them taken out, but I was so relieved when it happened!

Sent from my SM-N920P using the BariatricPal App

I was completely unaware of the 'catheter' concept when I went into the OT. I had my surgery on the 17th of December, 2016.

When the nurse spoke about catheter, 'I freaked out' totally. The nurse was very gentle, so it did not hurt much during the insertion and removal. I am glad I had it. I was a little too weak and nauseated after the surgery, so every time I puked, I was glad I did not wet the bed. So I am kind of glad that I had it :).

Edited by up4challenge

As one who originally posted freaking out about mine. I am SO glad I had one. Didn't feel it at all when they put it in, and it was only uncomfortable right after taking it out.

Almost immediately I needed to use the restroom and went just fine. They stopped measuring after two urinations because I was doing so well.

Katy W- Louisburg, NC

Lapband revision to VSG with DS

HW- 297

Weight at Surgery-279

CW- will update at two week appt