Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

doubts & 2 days til surgery

please help! today i have been having doubts all day. am i sure i want this?

what about gallstones? am i ok w/hair loss? will i have gas pain? am i going to be hungry? will i ever eat chicken again? will i be happier? my mind is racing. i cant sleep, i just keep crying.

Sent from my iPhone

I haven't had my surgery yet but, in anticipation of my own freak out, here goes:

Gallstones - all kinds of people get these, not just weight loss patients. You may or may not get them. Worry about that later, and just know that it is a simple procedure to get it dealt with.

hair loss - is temporary if and when it happens, and it will grow back.

Gas pain - temporary after the operation, just remember to walk as much as you can.

Hungry - some head hunger after surgery, but more than likely the hunger will be gone when you get past that stage. It may eventually come back, but use the first year to get yourself back on track without having hunger derail you.

chicken - probably. I haven't read anywhere that people can't eat chicken once they are back on solid food. That said, I guess there is a very small minority that can't eat meat after surgery, but in all likelihood, you won't be one of them. And, even if you are, there are lots of other options out there.

Happier - that's up to you!

We are all here because we made a choice to get healthier for ourselves. I would gladly give up chicken if it meant I could maintain a healthy weight for the rest of my life. I would not mind having my gallbladder removed if it meant I could maintain a healthy weight for the rest of my life. I know I will not enjoy the gas pains and Hair loss and head hunger, but those few days or weeks or months are nothing compared to being able to maintain a healthy weight for years and years. I don't want to deal with diabetes, painful knees and feet, back problems, heart conditions, sleep apnea, or any other number of problems that come with obesity. I want to dance again, to travel without fear (of embarrassment due to my weight or poor physical condition), and to enjoy my life. Despite the temporary inconveniences, the surgery will help be able to do that. And it will help you too. Focus on the long-term goal, not the short-term problems. Every problem has a solution.

what about gallstones? am i ok w/hair loss? will i have gas pain? am i going to be hungry? will i ever eat chicken again? will i be happier? my mind is racing. i cant sleep, i just keep crying.

Sent from my iPhone

I have my surgery on the 27th, I am self pay for the sleeve, $23,500. I have doubts every minute about doing this..I need to..but don't want to..scared of the unknown. I like to be in control, and this is so final and so much can go wrong.i am in horrible health, just had knee replaced too.but then, what if it works and I can be skinny again? Hw 281, cw250, gw160. liquid diet is going badly. Not sure I am strong enough.

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using the BariatricPal App

Gallstones is a maybe hair loss is to a certain extent and can be battled with vitimins Gas some people has it worst then others the sooner you start walking the less there will be. Luckliy ive had no issues with gas pain but i do get gassy if i feel uncomfortable i walk and never let it settle in to cause pain. Yes to hunger this is not a stavation surgery you will get hungry but you will need to learn your body over again. So hunger may not feel the same as it use to. I was use to feeling like i was starving so now a little hunger feel like im not really hungry at all. But mentally i know its time to eat and a few spoon full holds me for hours. chicken is Protein it will definately be back in due time. Don't stress yourself out with tears and dont worry about sleep once you get out of surgery the hospital will have more then enough meds to make it happen.

I wish you so much luck on your journey we all have our doubts and fears but name something thats worth having that does not come with risk. Life is everything and we have to deal with alot before and after surgery but we are fighting for our lives. Almost every risk is worth that even a bald spot Lol be strong You can do this

The Losers Bench

Edited by ThinJenne

Sent from my iPhone

I had to have my gallbladder out 15 years ago after losing 40 pounds on Weight Watchers. You could get gallstones even without having weight loss surgery.

I am thinking I will probably lose hair, but it will grow back.

I had gas pains after my gallbladder surgery but none at all after my sleeve. You never know.

Most people go back to eating chicken but do you love chicken enough to stay obese? I am almost 7 weeks out and I could not care less if I ever eat chicken again or not. There are lots of other things to eat.

So many people go into weight loss surgery thinking they will never eat a "normal" amount of food again. But our idea of "normal" is way bigger than it should be, if it wasn't we wouldn't be obese! I am slowly eating more and more, the way I see if is after a few months out we WILL be eating normal amounts, normal for people who are a healthy weight.

Edited by laceemouse

Do this for your health :). 9 weeks post op, had some emotional moments in the first weeks post op, but now know this was the best decision for my health and wellness, I feel great, down 84 lbs since july, 37 since surgery. Feeling better everyday!

Sent from my SM-N910P using the BariatricPal App

I was an absolute reck leading up to surgery. Crying all the time and major doubt. What am I doing? After the surgery all my doubts vanished. I am freaked out about the hair lose, my hair is one of my best features. I have to keep thinking if I'm not enjoying life due to my weight, is my hair that important? Plus it comes back, so I'm told lol

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

I just had the surgery 10 hrs ago. Had all the same fears (not chicken chocolate for me). I believe I made the right choice. Life is about choices and every choice has its risk. Sounds to me like you really want this or you wouldn't be have started this journey. You can do it!

I don't have much support. Didn't help that I had to wait 4 hrs after I checked in to get the surgery going. I almost walked out but didn't you can do this and we are all here to support you????

thanks Michelle6! your encouraging words are so kind. u r rt-i can do this. congrats! i wish u happiness!! keep me posted, plz, excited to hear from u. im here for support.

Sent from my iPhone

Just this morning I was thinking the same thing: "I've been doing really good on the pre-op diet, so u really need this?" But then u remembered that's I've done really well in every other diet I've went on and then gained it back. I HAVE to do this for me. You have to do this for you.

Pray, meditate or just ask the universe for strength. You'll be fine xoxo

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

Sent from my iPhone

Its ok!! Just Breathe!! Your not alone.. I too went through what y3oir feeling right now! I prayed and showed up for surgery. What helped me was remembering how far you have come, and keeping in mind the goal. "To be healthy" .. It also helps to write down the pros and cons to having the surgery and weigh the cost so to speak. Its a life changing surgery and your concerns and worries are valid.

As for me I still enjoy chicken veryyyy much ! Just less of course.

I lost hair BUT I LOST A TON OF WEIGHT TOO! AND THE hair GREW BACK AND THE WEIGHT WAS LOST FOR GOOD ????

I had Gas pain for the day of my surgery but the meds at the hospital took care of that. THANKFULLY!! If you have pain just ask for more meds!

I still have my Gallbladder and no issues with stones !

Im 7months post op !! Best DECISION EVERRR!! NO REGRETS!!

ALL THE BEST TO U!

Sent from my SM-G935P using the BariatricPal App