Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I am 3 days post op. It is painful when I drink Water and I get painful gas under my ribs and in my back afterwards. I also can't do broth or jell-o or anything, it makes me nauseous. I am able to drink my Protein water but only with it diluted with water. So here are my questions:

1. What is the MINIMUM Fluid intake for a day to prevent dehydration

2. Does the burping and painful gas go away?

3. Does all of this get better?

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

I hope so. Gas pain is lodged in my shoulder and neck. Gotta keep walking, it will go away., but it can take several days. The burping is intestinal gas, thats easier to get rid of. My doc prescribed zofran (an anti-emetic). I have taken one each day. I am trying to drink 1 oz every 15 mins. I have had a constant dull headache since surgery, I think it is related to caffiene withdrawal. Not taking pain meds for fear of Constipation.

I am 3 days post op. It is painful when I drink Water and I get painful gas under my ribs and in my back afterwards. I also can't do broth or jell-o or anything, it makes me nauseous. I am able to drink my Protein Water but only with it diluted with water. So here are my questions:

Yes, it gets better! First do everything you can to get as much Water as you can--popsicles, ice chips, etc. Second, make sure you walk to move the gas out easier. If you can find Mylanta mini's, these helped me tremendously. Finally, hopefully you have taken time off of work, etc to heal. Take really gentle care of yourself and concentrate on walking and sipping. I wish you well!

I was lucky to have very little gas pain. Walking is the only thing I've heard of that really helps get rid of it. My heating pad helped with the soreness I had, and I've heard it helps with the gas pain as well.

I did not get my 64 oz of Water in per day for the first week, but I usually managed about 48 oz. I felt a little dry, but didn't need to go in and get an IV so I guess I did OK. I sucked on popsicles and even froze Syntrax nectar lemonade flavored drink into tubes like ice pops and sucked on those to try and get as much Fluid in as I could. Jello counts as Fluid too, BTW. Just keep tiny glasses of Water (I used a shot glass) by you all the time, and try to constantly sip sip sip.

It DOES GET BETTER.

I'm on day 3 as well. GAS-X strips! They are my new BFF. I can't stress it enough. I really think the worst pain /discomfort I have now is gas. I feel more comfortable walking around the house. I've had to redefine what my version of SIP actually is. I think I've been gulping all my life! Once I mastered the art of the sip, things improved.

Its gets better wayyyyy better it was rough at first well the first month for me but I wouldn't have traded this life for anything I'm loving it and the results are wonderful just hang in there

Sent from my SM-G920T using the BariatricPal App

1) my doc said minimum 60 oz even early on.

2) Yes! the gas will subside! Keep on walkin'.

3) It all gets better! :)

Have you asked about getting anti-nausea meds? I took them for about a week post op. Really helped with getting Water in.

I'm 12 days post surgery. It WILL get better! My mantra has been, "tomorrow, I will feel better." I found taking a deep breath and holding it helped me when I felt the upper gas pressure. GasX strips can help with the intestinal gas. Water has not been my favorite thing because it doesn't go down as easily as juice or broth...not sure why. But I make myself drink it and mix half and half with juice to help with that. I also found walking while sipping seemed to be easier too. Hang in there!

Sent from my SM-N910G using the BariatricPal App

I'm 8 days out, noticed my sips were not small enough. I've always been a gulper. Thankful I haven't had much pain when I drink. I did the first few days now not so much . Haven't had a lot of gas issues. Was given an acid pill for 30 days perhaps that helps. Yogurt was too think with extra Protein powder so thinned out with soy milk (has more Protein then milk) it does get better hang in there. Also took durolax to help with BM, that helped a lot.

I'm on day 3 of my recovery. The gas pains still hurt me in the chest and back, and I'm a bit nauseous from trying to sip enough Water and also take my pills. Learning how to take pills again is a real challenge and I struggling to get my Water in as well. I'm terrified I'll get dehydrated and need IV fluids. I'm trying to prevent that, it's very hard to drink enough though! I hope it gets better for you soon.

I am 3 days post op. It is painful when I drink Water and I get painful gas under my ribs and in my back afterwards. I also can't do broth or jell-o or anything, it makes me nauseous. I am able to drink my Protein Water but only with it diluted with water. So here are my questions:

Me too !! Had minds Dec 12!

Sent from my SM-N910T using the BariatricPal App

I'm on day 3 of my recovery. The gas pains still hurt me in the chest and back, and I'm a bit nauseous from trying to sip enough Water and also take my pills. Learning how to take pills again is a real challenge and I struggling to get my Water in as well. I'm terrified I'll get dehydrated and need IV fluids. I'm trying to prevent that, it's very hard to drink enough though! I hope it gets better for you soon.

Me too! They told me in the hospital that I can take any of my medications that are smaller than an M&M whole, but when I tried it got stuck in my stomach. And I can't drink enough water to help it go down because if I drink too much to fast I get horrible pains. Sigh. I know this gets better and I know it takes time, it's just so labor intensive counting my fluids, taking my pills etc.