Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

3lb loss almost two weeks out

I had my surgery on Dec 5, Monday will be two weeks. I have only lost 3 pounds so far and I'm feeling a little discouraged. I average between 700-900 calories a day, I get all my Protein and fluids in. I feel absolutely no restriction, I can eat 1/2 cup of Soup, cream of wheat, a full 5oz yogurt whatever. Is it possible to fail at this? According to my fitness pal I'm eating way less calories than needed to lose weight so I'm confused and discouraged.

Good question for your surgeon's office or nutritionist. I was sleeved 11/29 and just advanced to semi-liquid at 15 days out which includes yogurt, cream of wheat and pureed Soup. As we all have seen - every surgeon's progression plan is different, but I don't even average 500 calories daily.

You will not fail if you are doing what you are supposed to - sometimes it just takes longer for your body to adjust to the new plan!

you are only two weeks out - you body is focused on healing after a major surgery, as it should be. Most people leave the hospital weighing more than they went in because of all the iv fluids. Let your body heal!!! yes some people lose a lot the first two weeks and then hit their first stall at week 3 (very common and there are a ton of posts about this), then others are more like me and don't lose anything for the first couple weeks - seriously, at my two week post op appointment I hadn't even lost a tenth of a pound. 6 months out and about 88lbs down. So the weightloss will happen but it will not be linear and everyone has a different rate and pattern of weightloss.

Use my fitness pal to track your Fluid, Protein, carb, fat intake but not follow it's guidelines for how many calories you need/how many lbs you should be losing - it is not set up for people who have had WLS.

as for restriction. One, on liquids you won't really feel restriction - that'll kick in one you are eating dense Protein. Also, at two weeks out, you are still healing - a lot of nerves were cut and will regenerate so do not try to rely on "full" sensations - with the nerves being cut, you might not be getting the signals. Stick to the portion sizes recommended by your practice - measure everything and once you've had the recommended amount, stop. At 2 weeks out I was transitioning to purees and I was only to have 2oz at a time max, about 1/4 cup. For noncaloric fluids (Water etc) drink as much as you possibly can. Talk to your medical team's nutritionist. Did they give a calorie guideline? if you are within that great but if not check in with the nutritionist, 900 calories seems a little high at two weeks out (I'm 6 months out and don't even hit 900 cals a day) but I also wasn't having Soup and cream of wheat - I stuck to high protein foods. Technically those were allowed on my plan but the NUT said to ONLY have those after meeting protein goals for the day and by the time I did that, I didn't really feel like anything else.

900 calories seems like a lot for two weeks post-op. I am in the 12th week post-op, and I am in the 900-1000 calorie range now. Looking back at my food journal, I didn't even break 500 calories until the beginning of Week 4 post-op.

That aside, as hard as it is, you have to be patient in the beginning weeks. Your body is healing and dealing with all kinds of internal goings-on. If you follow your plan, the weight will start to come off, but it is going to do it in its own time. That is an issue we all have to face.

Good luck!

How are you doing @@Frenchie1977? We had our surgeries on the same day.

I am doing well, all pain is gone now, I am on soft foods and tolerating th very well. I reduced my calories for a while and I have now lost 25 pounds. Thanks for asking. How are you doing?