Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Pregnancy before VSG Surgery

Hello everyone!

I'm new here and started my journey a few months ago after researching and meeting with a surgeon. I'm about 4/6 months of my mandatory diet/weigh in for my insurance. I've kept on track with everything and dumb of me I forgot my birth control this past week. My husband and I did sleep together and I'm now worried about pregnancy stopping my progress.

Has anyone become pregnant before having VSG surgery? If so, is there a certain amount of time you have to wait afterwards to have the surgery? And lastly, did your insurance require you to re-do your 6 month pre-op supervised diet?

Thank you for you help.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

After the birth of my son they recommended that I wait 6 months so all hormones stabilize and pregnancy weight is lost. I don't have a required diet with my insurance so I'm not sure how they would do that for you! Best of luck!

Sent from my SM-G930V using the BariatricPal App

Hello everyone!

I'm new here and started my journey a few months ago after researching and meeting with a surgeon. I'm about 4/6 months of my mandatory diet/weigh in for my insurance. I've kept on track with everything and dumb of me I forgot my birth control this past week. My husband and I did sleep together and I'm now worried about pregnancy stopping my progress.

Has anyone become pregnant before having VSG surgery? If so, is there a certain amount of time you have to wait afterwards to have the surgery? And lastly, did your insurance require you to re-do your 6 month pre-op supervised diet?

Thank you for you help.

If you seriously want to get the surgery over and done with you better start using some super birth control. Many people get an IUD because fluctuating weight makes the pill have a harder time working. Keep in mind you will also be told not to get pregnant for at least a year after surgery.

@@laceemouse absolutely understand. We already had talked about that but it just happened. I'm well aware of the year of waiting as well. I talked to the surgeon about that before anything. Was just wondering if anyone had had this happen. Thank you though.

@@courtney.rose.a. Thank you. Much appreciated. :)

Hello everyone!

Thank you for you help.

Last September i was all set up for my appointments and everything was good to go and then i found out i was pregnant. I stopped, had my daughter and then restarted the program again (currently 3/6 months completed). Insurance didn't require me to wait any specific time before restarting but my insurance required consecutive months so since i was pregnant for 10 months i had to restart this past September.

I've gotten pregnant twice before finishing up the process lol this is my 3rd time going for it. I have a 9 year old daughter, 3 year old son (got pregnant with him during the process) and 5 month old daughter (got pregnant with her last year when I was going through the process). I'm on the Mirena now. They said it was be best one to be on since I don't have to remember to take it and everything.

@@Krystyneh thank you so much. I'm definitely considering a more permanent birth control option since pills to me are such a hassle.

@@Krystyneh thank you so much. I'm definitely considering a more permanent birth control option since pills to me are such a hassle.

I've gotten pregnant twice before finishing up the process lol this is my 3rd time going for it. I have a 9 year old daughter, 3 year old son (got pregnant with him during the process) and 5 month old daughter (got pregnant with her last year when I was going through the process). I'm on the Mirena now. They said it was be best one to be on since I don't have to remember to take it and everything.

My daughter is 5 months too! Haha july 1st! My second time completing te process due to getting pregnant with her lol