Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Got approved but still not sure....

I just called my insurance on a whim to check the status and found out I was approved 2 days ago, but the doctor's office hasn't called me yet to schedule surgery. I'm still not 100% sure if I want to go through with it. I need to lose 100-110#. I have sleep apnea but no other health issues. In fact I'm extremely healthy! The reason I even began looking into surgery was to be proactive before the health problems start because of my weight. I don't know how to decide if I should go through with surgery or not!

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using the BariatricPal App

It's your best chance to lose the weight and keep it off. It's not a cop out ... it's a tool and a tough one, but I did it in order to stop the lose/gain syndrome which always left me further behind. You need to make the decision that is best for you.... but I see very few who are disappointed with their choice. Good luck.

Sent from my SM-G935V using the BariatricPal App

It's your best chance to lose the weight and keep it off. It's not a cop out ... it's a tool and a tough one, but I did it in order to stop the lose/gain syndrome which always left me further behind. You need to make the decision that is best for you.... but I see very few who are disappointed with their choice. Good luck.

Sent from my SM-G935V using the BariatricPal App

Thank you...I like the encouragement

I was really fat. I am down to just mostly fat now, but I was similar to you. My BP was normal, as in 120/75 or so. Cholesterol was 142, triglycerides at 90, so on and so forth. I had no sleep apnea. Just a couple of months before deciding to do this, I hit the lowest number I could have to be diabetic. So except for being fat, I was pretty healthy. I was also very active for a fat guy, working a job where I was on my feet most of the day.

This surgery is not a magic bullet, but it is a tremendous tool for helping to get rid of the excess weight, and give you a chance to reset your life. You are the one to make the decision, and I will not tell you what I think you should do. I can only tell you what I did and why. I am glad I had it. I would do it again if I had to make the decision again. Good luck with your own decision.

I was really fat. I am down to just mostly fat now, but I was similar to you. My BP was normal, as in 120/75 or so. Cholesterol was 142, triglycerides at 90, so on and so forth. I had no sleep apnea. Just a couple of months before deciding to do this, I hit the lowest number I could have to be diabetic. So except for being fat, I was pretty healthy. I was also very active for a fat guy, working a job where I was on my feet most of the day.

This surgery is not a magic bullet, but it is a tremendous tool for helping to get rid of the excess weight, and give you a chance to reset your life. You are the one to make the decision, and I will not tell you what I think you should do. I can only tell you what I did and why. I am glad I had it. I would do it again if I had to make the decision again. Good luck with your own decision.

Thank you! Funny thing is, the only thing about it that scares me is being put under.

@@jdk524 I worried a little bit about it, but once you are being prepped, you just lie back and let people take care of you. That's what I did.

Thank you! Funny thing is, the only thing about it that scares me is being put under.

I guess you have never had surgery before? It really isn't a big deal, you go to sleep and wake up in recovery. Think of it this way, even if your heart stopped during surgery they would be able to start it up again. They have all the equipment they need right there.

I guess you have never had surgery before? It really isn't a big deal, you go to sleep and wake up in recovery. Think of it this way, even if your heart stopped during surgery they would be able to start it up again. They have all the equipment they need right there.
Guess I just need comforting thoughts like that. Only surgery in ever had was wisdom teeth...but that doesn't really count.

THIS IS JUST MYYY PERSONAL OPINION

Was you put to sleep for your wisdom teeth? Personally, I find it very comforting to ask Jesus for forgiveness right before the anesthesiologist says to count backwards. (I've only had 4 surgeries including my wisdom teeth that I was put to sleep for but personally I've never had a fear as long as I ask for forgiveness) I know as long as I have repented of my sins that I am covered whether I live or go to heaven! Either way I'm blessed! To me that's comforting.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

THIS IS JUST MYYY PERSONAL OPINION

Was you put to sleep for your wisdom teeth? Personally, I find it very comforting to ask Jesus for forgiveness right before the anesthesiologist says to count backwards. (I've only had 4 surgeries including my wisdom teeth that I was put to sleep for but personally I've never had a fear as long as I ask for forgiveness) I know as long as I have repented of my sins that I am covered whether I live or go to heaven! Either way I'm blessed! To me that's comforting.

I can do that...Very peaceful...thank you

I was terrified of being put under. I was nervous walking into the OR, but once I was laying on the (shockingly comfortable) table I was okay. They put a mask on my face and told me to take deep breaths. I was laying there after a few breaths going "well, this isn't going to work" and then I was waking up, being told everything went well and they were taking me to recovery. I have no fear now, knowing the process and seeing how many people were there solely to take care of me.

In preop the nurses couldn't believe I was so completely calm. I sent my husband out so he could ride my son to work and my surgery was late. I was alone, no phone...no tv on. Just relaxing knowing that my new life was starting. I had been under for my gall bladder but I wasn't nervous then either.

My surgeon came in to talk to me. Wondered if I wanted a rundown on the procedure. I told him to do his job well....and I would do my part after. He laughed. I told him yesterday at my 6 week checkup that he did a great job except he took my patience when he operated. I swear I can't make that scale budge!

Edited by sherri~

In preop the nurses couldn't believe I was so completely calm. I sent my husband out so he could ride my son to work and my surgery was late. I was alone, no phone...no tv on. Just relaxing knowing that my new life was starting. I had been under for my gall bladder but I wasn't nervous then either.

My surgeon came in to talk to me. Wondered if I wanted a rundown on the procedure. I told him to do his job well....and I would do my part after. He laughed. I told him yesterday at my 6 week checkup that he did a great job except he took my patience when he operated. I swear I can't make that scale budge!

This brought back a memory. My doc came in to speak with me just before he operated. I said to him, "Doc, we have a saying in my profession which I would like to pass on to you."

"What's that?"

"Measure twice, cut once!"

He laughed pretty hard, and said that the chief surgeon had that on the wall of his office.

Everyone on this forum that went through this procedure got through the surgery. I just asked the entire operating room staff if they watched their you tube tutorial last night so they were fresh and ready to go.

Sent from my iPad using the BariatricPal App