Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

The Statistics are not in our favor? (According to my worried Dad)

Good luck and keep your chin up! Do not think about regaining and do not have any doubts. You are doing the right thing and you won't regret it. Best wishes to you!

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

My Dad is hard hitting me not to have this surgery. I am 46, BMI 40, Arthritis in both knees and obviously no long-term ability to keep it off.

He is gathering stats and posting them to me in emails.

Here is an excerpt below, what do you think of his stats?

"I have never seen so much distortions and obscurations pertaining to anything as is done in bariatric surgery.

I thought knee replacement was bad with all the hype but nothing like this!!

There are hundreds of "authoritative" articles on the subject, almost all of which are blatantly designed to appeal to your emotions.

Half the forums are a joke mixed with truthful questions and experiences and often salted with carefully spin doctor messages.

The most complete reporting that I have found with only moderate spin is: www.obesitycoverage.com " Gastric By Pass vs. Gastric Sleeve Surgery."

I feel that you doing this surgery could be without a doubt the worst decision in your life.

You've got to know the probable consequences and they are not good.

Colette, this is one of those times that even if you feel that the probability of serious occurrences occurring is low...you still just do not do it..... You just don't do it because if any of the serious consequences do occur, they are so unalterably life changing negative that you can not risk it no matter what because it will be forever.

I don't get where you say the odds are in your favor? They are not.

Yes, I understand that the death rate is low, (which I am thankful for), but to have some complications are almost guaranteed. You have got to know that by now.

Read the article.

Even if you ignore the 60% to 70% probability of indigestion, nausea and dehydration, the percentage of occurrence of mild to severe complications is a huge collective 88.9% !!!

GERD 47%

Nutritional deficiency 12%

Gallstones 23%

Acute Stricture 3.5%

Deep Vein Thrombosis 1%

Staple line failure 2.4%

Total: 88.9%

Please don't go through with this. We can figure something else out. You do have options. Dad"

I'm 46 as well. I had never had a major surgery before I had my sleeve done 3 weeks ago. Both my parents researched the surgery, worried and voiced concerns to me as well. They shared their concern and we talked about it, then told me they respected my decision to have it done. They knew I had researched it and put a lot of work into the decision before ever having the surgery. There are risks with every surgery, so be aware, but don't let that stop you if you really know in your heart this is right for you. Parents love and worry about us no matter what our age. Just have a conversation with him. Let him come with you to an appointment with your surgeon. Let the surgeon help reassure him. It may ease his worries. Good luck!

Adding all those random numbers up and getting a total isn't a "statistic ".

I am 64 years old and about 7 weeks post op and have lost about 25 pounds. I do have GURD but despite that the only thing I regret is not doing it sooner. I am pain free for the first time in 12 years and have been completely off narcotic pain meds for a month now for the first time in 10 years.

You dad means well but the is reacting from fear. In the end only you can decide.

I had gastroparesis and chronic nausea for over ten years. I have not been nauseas or thrown up since I left the hospital after the sleeve.

Everyone has their own side effects from the sleeve, but there are so many remedies that out weigh a little discomfort.

you are having the surgery for yourself not anyone else. You have to look at the process and say is this a life change I'm willing to make for me? It's not easy to meet your Protein and nutritional needs but that's something you have to put the effort into. Many complications are caused by the patients failure to follow the surgeons instructions.

Edited by Rudy126