Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Phentermine after 5 month stall

I need some serious advice guys . I was sleeved on 3/16/16, starting weight of 260. My weight started coming off really slow, but it was coming off nonetheless. As of July I was down to 221. Since the it's been an emotional/physical rollercoaster. I've pretty much gone back and forth between 223-228 and I've been so strict with getting in my 70-80 grams of Protein, drinking about 50-60 oz of fluids and moderately exercising. I cut out all processed carbs and log and weigh all my foods as well. I met with my surgeon today as I'm so emotionally frustrated and he recommended that I do phentermine for 2 months to give my metabolism a kick start. I've been on phentermine before and i did lose about 20 lbs but got pregnant soon after so I can't say if I gained weight due to the medication or my pregnancy. Long story short , has anyone taken phentermine post VSG to get your metabolism going and it worked ? I know the side effects of the meds so I don't plan to be on them for long and my surgeon is well known in my area as well as a chief of surgery for one of the nearby hospitals, so I don't doubt his advice but need some support.

Do you keep a food log? What else do you eat? What are your calories each day? What are your carbs each day? Are you regular?

I know this isn't what you asked but tweaking your diet might work better than diet pills.

I taken phentermine before. At first the weight comes off but then it comes back on with a vengeance. I highly recommend that you stay away from it...it's not only very toxic but the acidic levels can't be good for your sleeve. I use to get the worst stomach ache from phentermine.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

The only people I've seen that have taken phentermine post VSG have been years out post op and have experienced some regain. I've seen several people on this site and also had personal experience with my husband who is 10 years out RNY, but experienced a 30 pound gain after quitting smoking a couple years ago. He did take it back off with the phentermine.

You're going to have some people tout the dangers of it and be totally against it I'm sure, but I look at it as part of the overall "toolbox" of tools we sometimes need to fight obesity, with the surgery being just another one. Sometimes you have to utilize more than one tool to get the desired result. That being said, I would definitely explore other options first before turning to it so soon after surgery.

I hate to be so simplistic, but exercise works also to boost your metabolism. You said you 'moderately' exercise, so I'm not sure what your routine entails, but I would look up HIIT training and other exercise that will get your metabolism going. Weight training along with cardio getting your heart rate up and then back down is one thing that works. Also, just exercising more than you are now will do it. I would also advice increasing your calories and Protein along with the increased exercise. I would get at least 90 grams of Protein. Make sure you're drinking all 64 ounces of no calorie/low calorie Fluid, also.

I know it's frustrating when the weight is not just falling off, believe me. It took me a solid year to lose 85 pounds. Yes, 12 months. 15 months to lose all 92 pounds of my weight. But I found that when I stalled like you are now that tweaking my diet and exercise until I found what worked to get the scale moving again worked wonders. It also was invaluable to me being a slower loser and constant staller because it helped me learn so much about nutrition and exercise and what would work for me. I think that's why I've been able to keep my weight off for over a year.

Good luck to you! Whatever route you go, I hope it works for you!

I average around 1000-1200 calories. Usually a premier shake for Breakfast sometimes an egg with turkey bacon 2 hours after . lunch is usually 2 oz of lean Protein with 1 oz of veggies. Snacks are low calorie cheese sticks, Chobani 100 yogurts or 1oz of Trader Joe's trail mix unsalted. Occasionally I'll have a 100 cal bag popcorn or a piece of bark thins . Carbs are usually 40-50g a day . And yep I'm regular ☹️

I average around 1000-1200 calories. Usually a premier shake for breakfast sometimes an egg with turkey bacon 2 hours after . lunch is usually 2 oz of lean Protein with 1 oz of veggies. Snacks are low calorie cheese sticks, Chobani 100 yogurts or 1oz of Trader Joe's trail mix unsalted. Occasionally I'll have a 100 cal bag popcorn or a piece of bark thins . Carbs are usually 40-50g a day . And yep I'm regular ☹️

I can tell you right now you're not getting enough Protein. Get rid of the popcorn and bark thins. Empty calories. Replace with another protein rich snack. I wasn't at 1000-1200 calories until 8 months to a year post op. I maintain on 1200 calories right now. I told you to increase your calories, but I think now you need to back off a little. 900-1000, 90 Grams of protein. More exercise. All your Fluid. Until the scale starts moving again, no empty calories! Just protein and veggies for your carbs.

Like I said, what you're doing right now isn't working, so you gotta tweak things. That's my suggestion :)

The only people I've seen that have taken phentermine post VSG have been years out post op and have experienced some regain. I've seen several people on this site and also had personal experience with my husband who is 10 years out RNY, but experienced a 30 pound gain after quitting smoking a couple years ago. He did take it back off with the phentermine.

You're going to have some people tout the dangers of it and be totally against it I'm sure, but I look at it as part of the overall "toolbox" of tools we sometimes need to fight obesity, with the surgery being just another one. Sometimes you have to utilize more than one tool to get the desired result. That being said, I would definitely explore other options first before turning to it so soon after surgery.

I hate to be so simplistic, but exercise works also to boost your metabolism. You said you 'moderately' exercise, so I'm not sure what your routine entails, but I would look up HIIT training and other exercise that will get your metabolism going. Weight training along with cardio getting your heart rate up and then back down is one thing that works. Also, just exercising more than you are now will do it. I would also advice increasing your calories and Protein along with the increased exercise. I would get at least 90 grams of Protein. Make sure you're drinking all 64 ounces of no calorie/low calorie Fluid, also.

I know it's frustrating when the weight is not just falling off, believe me. It took me a solid year to lose 85 pounds. Yes, 12 months. 15 months to lose all 92 pounds of my weight. But I found that when I stalled like you are now that tweaking my diet and exercise until I found what worked to get the scale moving again worked wonders. It also was invaluable to me being a slower loser and constant staller because it helped me learn so much about nutrition and exercise and what would work for me. I think that's why I've been able to keep my weight off for over a year.

Good luck to you! Whatever route you go, I hope it works for you!

Thank you so much for your advice ! I'll admit that I'm not doing any intense workouts, mostly walking with some running on the treadmill for 1/2 hour 3x a week along with some light weights and mat work(sit-ups push-ups etc) . Can I just say how Unfair it is that a lot of people who've had the surgery don't work out and lose double what I have in half the time ?? Ugh !

I worked in a medical office that specificity gave phentermine and or Topiramate or both together. I worked there for two years and off first hand experience I saw the long term/ short term results including permanent hair loss aka alopecia. It's good to use "tools" to help you but made sure your educated about the "tools" you put inside your body.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

I average around 1000-1200 calories. Usually a premier shake for breakfast sometimes an egg with turkey bacon 2 hours after . lunch is usually 2 oz of lean Protein with 1 oz of veggies. Snacks are low calorie cheese sticks, Chobani 100 yogurts or 1oz of Trader Joe's trail mix unsalted. Occasionally I'll have a 100 cal bag popcorn or a piece of bark thins . Carbs are usually 40-50g a day . And yep I'm regular ☹️

Drop the carbs and the yogurt. Increase your Protein. you should be able to have 3-4 ounces of meat at a time.

I would ditch the premier shake too honestly, and replace it with meat unless you really just can't eat and that is your only option. Cut out all processed foods (and Protein shakes are fake processed foods), and eat lean meats you cook yourself, get up to 90 grams of protein and I am pretty sure you will see the scale moving.

Even with your not intense workouts you are still probably burning more calories than you are intaking. You need more protein to fuel yourself.

Edited by OutsideMatchInside

Thank you so much for your advice ! I'll admit that I'm not doing any intense workouts, mostly walking with some running on the treadmill for 1/2 hour 3x a week along with some light weights and mat work(sit-ups push-ups etc) . Can I just say how Unfair it is that a lot of people who've had the surgery don't work out and lose double what I have in half the time ?? Ugh !

Well, and here's a little secret. You don't really have to exercise to lose weight. It's 90% diet. But with your stall (and actually it's just basically maintenance at this point), you need to do something to boost your metabolism, and exercise will do it in place of the phentermine. If you don't want to exercise, you're going to have to cut back on calories. Either way, something's gotta give. So you're going to have to figure out what's going to work best for you. You may have to try several things to see.

I am 9 months post op so isn't that calorie range okay ? You're right about the empty calories.

You're in a pretty long stall, so obviously it's not ;) So you either need to increase them or decrease them. Try both and see what works!

I average around 1000-1200 calories. Usually a premier shake for Breakfast sometimes an egg with turkey bacon 2 hours after . lunch is usually 2 oz of lean Protein with 1 oz of veggies. Snacks are low calorie cheese sticks, Chobani 100 yogurts or 1oz of Trader Joe's trail mix unsalted. Occasionally I'll have a 100 cal bag popcorn or a piece of bark thins . Carbs are usually 40-50g a day . And yep I'm regular ☹️

Drop the carbs and the yogurt. Increase your Protein. you should be able to have 3-4 ounces of meat at a time.

I would ditch the premier shake too honestly, and replace it with meat unless you really just can't eat and that is your only option. Cut out all processed foods (and Protein shakes are fake processed foods), and eat lean meats you cook yourself, get up to 90 grams of protein and I am pretty sure you will see the scale moving.

Even with your not intense workouts you are still probably burning more calories than you are intaking. You need more protein to fuel yourself.

Thank you for all your advice. It gets so confusing sometimes, sometimes I'm told I'm not eating enough calories and then I'm told I'm eating too much ! It's so confusing !

Thank you for all your advice. It gets so confusing sometimes, sometimes I'm told I'm not eating enough calories and then I'm told I'm eating too much ! It's so confusing !

It really is! But that's why you have to kind of be a science experiment to see what works. @@OutsideMatchInside is also a great veteran to listen to as she has lost A LOT of weight and is still losing like a champ. I hope you can figure it all out! I just would love to see you try to do this experimenting first before you turn to the phentermine. But I wouldn't judge you for it, either. I know how frustrating it can be!

Well, and here's a little secret. You don't really have to exercise to lose weight. It's 90% diet. But with your stall (and actually it's just basically maintenance at this point), you need to do something to boost your metabolism, and exercise will do it in place of the phentermine. If you don't want to exercise, you're going to have to cut back on calories. Either way, something's gotta give. So you're going to have to figure out what's going to work best for you. You may have to try several things to see.

I am 9 months post op so isn't that calorie range okay ? You're right about the empty calories.

You're in a pretty long stall, so obviously it's not ;) So you either need to increase them or decrease them. Try both and see what works!

My biggest fear is doing the phentermine and the coming off and gaining the weight back which seems to the the theme of that medication. I was doing less previously (800-900) but I was told by my dr's office that I need to get my calories up to 1200 or my body would go into starvation mode. My surgeon also said sometimes people respond better to other types of surgeries so if the phentermine wasn't working we could talk about doing Gastric Bypass as a last resort and it wouldn't be anytime soon.