Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Worried... advise please!

I was sleeved on November 18th and so far it has been smooth sailing....possibly to smooth and that's my concern! I haven't had any issues with throwing up, pain, protien, or intake. During my liquid phase (which ended 2 days ago) I could easily take in 4 oz of broth or Soups, then within an hour (or less) go back for 2-4 more. I can eat a whole Jell-O, yogurt, or pudding, no problem. I don't ever get a full feeling and have tested it a bit with my broths eating up to 6 oz in a setting to see what my limits are.. but still I get nothing. I don't want to be unsafe or sabotage myself so I don't want to push it any further. I don't really crave food like I did pre-op but my biggest problem was/is that I am a marathon eater. In other words Portion Control. So hopefully you can understand why im so concerned. I was really hoping for a nice restriction so that it would be difficult for me to overeat like I have in the past. I'm afraid it isn't working! Since starting soft foods I have had pureed bean Soup ... I ate 4 oz then 30 min later had 2 more. Nothing... but I stopped anyways. I'm getting discouraged! On top of that, the scales aren't moving. So far I have followed my diet faithfully yet I have only lost 6 pounds since my surgery two weeks ago. My sw was 192 (I'm 4' 11"). I don't understand how I haven't lost more with such a reduction in my calorie intake? Please tell me there is still hope. I'm looking for encouragement! Has anyone else experienced something similar and still had success? I keep seeing how so many have done so well and how there restriction has been such a big help and tool to getting where they are.. but what if I don't have that... it is what I needed?

No worries!!! You really don't feel any restriction until you start eating more solid food.....and believe me you'll feel it then! I had your same problem. I didn't really ever eat a lot of junk food....I ate mostly healthy foods but I ate way way too much of it!! So I had your same worries....I'm a little over 6 months post op and have lost around 95 pounds! To give you an idea I can only eat 2.5 to 3 oz of Protein ....like chicken breast....I may have room for one or two small bites of veggies.........and that's it!....and I'm totally satisfied! So don't worry you'll feel the restriction when you're eating regular food.....liquids go right through your sleeve.....you can't stretch it by drinking too much.

Good luck to you!!

Oh and I forgot to mention......it's too early for you to worry about your weight loss! Right now your body is still healing and everything needs to be focused on that......The surgery is a huge shock to your system then on top of that there is a severe reduction in your food intake.....so it takes a little while for things to settle down and the the weight starts falling off.........but rest assured it will!!! Just focus on your healing follow your plan and it will happen. Good luck to you!!! :)

Kmorri, thanks for the encouragement. Do you think that only losing 6 pounds at this point is unusual?

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using the BariatricPal App

You read my mind! Thank you :)

Kmorri, thanks for the encouragement. Do you think that only losing 6 pounds at this point is unusual?

Yes I do.......stay off the scale. :P .....and stop your worrying...it'll happen I promise.

Yes I do.......stay off the scale. :P .....and stop your worrying...it'll happen I promise.

opps sorry what I meant was I thought it was normal.....not unusual....

I too had the same problem as far as the weight loss not happening quicker like I thought it would. Look up other threads about stalls, it's a fact, so many here experienced it, it had me in tears! I'm six months out now and I'm okay with the stalls, the weight loss happens so just give it time. So thankful for all the others who posted their experience, it really helped me get through the more difficult times

Sent from my LG-H740 using the BariatricPal App

I too had the same problem as far as the weight loss not happening quicker like I thought it would. Look up other threads about stalls, it's a fact, so many here experienced it, it had me in tears! I'm six months out now and I'm okay with the stalls, the weight loss happens so just give it time. So thankful for all the others who posted their experience, it really helped me get through the more difficult times

Sent from my LG-H740 using the BariatricPal App

It does help to see that others have overcome stalls. I understand they are to be expected but I haven't even got started so it's hard to associate it as a stall! I want it to begin! Keeping positive though and going to keep fighting!

You're having one of those bothersome uneventful recoveries. Everything's great! Sail along... things may change once you start getting to thicker stuff. Just try to recognize your full signals before you get into trouble. They're hard to detect-- pressure in your back or sides, or even in your throat, pangs in your belly. I get the hiccups when I am full. VIOLENT hiccups if I am too full!

Many people don't feel restriction until they start taking in dense Protein. Til then, enjoy this time of peace. :D

As far as weight loss goes... it really varies per person. I only lost about 10lbs my first three weeks. To say I was disappointed was an understatement... but it kept coming off and kept coming off, 2lbs a week at a time. What WLS does best is NOT to drop a ton of weight in a short amount of time but alllow us to CONTINUE losing weight at a safe, steady pace long past when we would have given up while on a diet. It's pretty hard to mess this up unless youre explicitly trying to.

At this point, it's fine to get in cals and eat every 2-4 hours. You'll need it for strength and brain function, plus it's liquid! That you have no restriction right now means there is little chance you'll dehydrate. You're doing fine... rest assured.

As far as weight loss goes... it really varies per person. I only lost about 10lbs my first three weeks. To say I was disappointed was an understatement... but it kept coming off and kept coming off, 2lbs a week at a time. What WLS does best is NOT to drop a ton of weight in a short amount of time but alllow us to CONTINUE losing weight at a safe, steady pace long past when we would have given up while on a diet. It's pretty hard to mess this up unless youre explicitly trying to.

At this point, it's fine to get in cals and eat every 2-4 hours. You'll need it for strength and brain function, plus it's liquid! That you have no restriction right now means there is little chance you'll dehydrate. You're doing fine... rest assured.

Thank you. I'm waiting for my Dr to release me for exercise. Hoping that will give me a boost!

I had my DS on Monday afternoon, I haven't lost any weight, but I can tell already that the denseness of my fat is becoming less. It us starting to become more jiggly. My stomach is still huge, but just the IV's and trauma from the surgery will cause swelling and weight retention.

DS performed 11/28/16. SW/HW 380 lbs.

Omg I am having this same problem I am so glad I read this post I was starting to think my tool was broken after all this pain

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using the BariatricPal App

Me too. It's so frustrating when this is the most effort and the hardest I have ever worked at loosing. I'm giving it 110% so I need to hear it's going to work so I can keep the faith!

I'm 3 months out and also had a pretty uneventful recovery. You'll notice the restriction once you get to "regular" foods.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-T817A using Tapatalk