Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Can you smoke after or be around people who do after gastric sleeve? I was sleeved on Nov 7, I don't smoke and doing wonderful so far, had surgery with Dr. Illan in Mexico. But now my friend wants it and she smokes and I'm all trying to be supportive and this is really one of the best decisions of your life. But now I've read you have to quit smoking and she has a stressful job and if you take away cigs and food. I don't know. I was just wondering is this so. I'll help her however I can.

You can't smoke after WLS. It's generally one of the prerequisites.

Generally speaking, smoking can interfere with the healing process after a surgery and cause complications. A lot of surgeons will also do a nicotine test before surgery to ensure you haven't smoked several weeks before the surgery.

I smoked for 23 years before I had surgery, but decided to quit 2 months before because I wanted to be healthy, not just skinny. I used a vape with nicotine, and each week cut back on the nicotine until I was at 0. I then just lost interest in the vape.

I'm almost 2.5 years smoke free, and I'm more proud of that than even losing the weight!

Why not

Sent from my SM-N900T using the BariatricPal App

Ask your surgeon.

Can you smoke after or be around people who do after gastric sleeve? I was sleeved on Nov 7, I don't smoke and doing wonderful so far, had surgery with Dr. Illan in Mexico. But now my friend wants it and she smokes and I'm all trying to be supportive and this is really one of the best decisions of your life. But now I've read you have to quit smoking and she has a stressful job and if you take away cigs and food. I don't know. I was just wondering is this so. I'll help her however I can.

I was a smoker before surgery, and I still am. I was required to show efforts of quitting smoking, which I did: I wore the patch, and I switched to vaping but because I did not quit of my own accord, I went back to smoking after surgery. I had no intention of permanently giving up my two biggest crutches: food and cigarettes at the same time. I maintain that as long as I am still losing weight I have no intentions to quit smoking. Nor will I be willing to quit and gain weight after all of this effort. I would love to be a non-smoker, but I don't know if that's ever going to happen. That said, I didn't let it keep me from getting the surgery and if your friend really needs and wants the surgery-if it is right for her-she'll do what she has to do.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

So, I'm nearing two months post op and had my first smoking session (fruit ho0kah). I shared which means I took about three or four drags. I've never smoked a cigarette in my life, but pre-surgery I went from smoking several times a day to abstaining for two months. I have no intentions of letting this become a habit I will continue regularly, but smoking occasionally is probably something I will do from time to time.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App