Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Water and gastric sleeve

I was sleeved on the 7th Nov 2016, I'm doing great, weighing myself weekly, "trying" to get my Protein and Water up, I didn't realise how hard it would be! Although I must admit that waiting 1/2 hr before and after foods to have water is REALLY hard and starting to annoy me a little. Does anyone know how long I need to keep doing this??

Thanks, Sanaa

sanaa

Forever. If you drink with your food the Fluid pushed the food thru your sleeve. Increasing your capacity will increase your calorie intake and you will start gaining weight.

I have to ask. Where did you have your surgery? Didn't your surgeon or a nutritionist explain this to you before surgery?

My nutritionists said that there is no evidence that not drinking before meals has any effect on weight loss and we only have to wait after eating.

You might want to discuss this with your nutritionist. I would think they would rather you get your fluids in.

I wait to drink after I eat but not before. Why does your surgeon want you to spend 3-4 hours a day not taking in any fluids?

Here is a good explanation for drinking soon after a meal.

Although this guy had a Bypass, this video explains what happens when someone drinks with a meal or soon after.

I don't wait too much Before my meal, but After my meal, I stick to the 30 mins rule.

I simply remembered the Funnel analogy.

Although this guy had a Bypass, this video explains what happens when someone drinks with a meal or soon after.

I don't wait too much Before my meal, but After my meal, I stick to the 30 mins rule.

Wow, for the first time I really understand now. I just showed this to my husband too. Thank you for posting this video!!

Sent from my iPad using the BariatricPal App

Don't worry, You'll get use to waiting 30 minutes post meal!!

I try to give myself as much of the 30 minutes pre meal but sometimes I just need some Water. The reason for the PRE-meal wait is so that your tummy doesn't have Water in it taking up space that could be used by Protein. Or that's what I've been told. lol!

I wait to drink after I eat but not before. Why does your surgeon want you to spend 3-4 hours a day not taking in any fluids?

Seriously? Because if you drink after you eat you will flush the food into your intestines and make room in your stomach for more food. This will eventually lead to regaining the weight you worked so hard to lose.

I tried to find that video but couldn't. Thanks for posting it!

Could it be possible that people are getting WLS without getting this critical information?

Hi everyone,

this video was posted when I joined BP, and was early post op. The Funnel analogy made an impression on me, and it was easy for me to remember that.

I was happy to find it, as I saved it in my YouTube folder, and share it.

Yes, it is critical information that everyone should know and follow.

And for visual people, like myself, seeing it cemented this rule into my brain!

Best wishes :)

Yes!!! Totally agree with the visual part @OzRoo.. the same happened to me, it's fully planted in my mind and I fully understand it!

Thanks again for sharing

sanaa