Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

do I really need a C-PAP machine?

For all the reasons mentioned above, you should continue to try to get used to the mask and machine. Once you find the right setup, you will be surprised at how much more energy you have once you are getting a good night's sleep. Makes it much easier to do the required exercise we need to do in order to have the band work for us.

Surfbored

I'm glad I saw this thread. I've suspected I've had sleep apnea for a long time. Yet, when making all the necessary appt. for pre-op (cardiac appt, chest x-ray, pulmonary function test etc...) a sleep study was never mentioned. I had my gallbladder out in 2004 and the surgeon said he had a very hard time getting me off the respirator - he said due to my smoking. But, after seeing "Dr. 90210" last night, a gentleman's airway collapsed while receiving a sedative before his operation. He was heavy as well. I'm SO afraid of anesthesia complications. PS - My Lap Band surgeon said he highly doubts smoking was the reason why I had a hard time getting off the respirator in 2004. Although, he did say I need to be 1 month smoke-free before Lap Band. I'm thinking maybe I should have a sleep apnea test before I go under for Lap Band... If I do take the test and find that I do have sleep apnea, how will that change what will happen during Lap Band surgery?

Maria

I'm no expert on sleep apnea, but I have it and so did my cousin. See my earlier reply to this post. It may change your thinking about the cpap machines.....Dave

I was diagnosed 5 years ago with apnea and tried for 2 months to sleep with it on.....kept pulling it out...I was falling asleep at the wheel of the car...then on one of my yo yo diets I lost 40lbs and my snoring decreased and I stopped falling asleep...haven't used it since....BUT...during my surgery on Tuesday doctors had hard time keeping my airways open and wound up keeping me overnight on oxygen....scared the crap out of me...when I go for my one week checkup next week, I am asking for a new CPAP machine...better safe than sorry...

Gumper-Did they say that sleep apnea was the reason for that? If you'd had a cpap to wear during surgery, would it not have happened? Just wondering. They told me to bring mine so I'm hoping that will keep me from having problems during surgery. Also, did they not intubate you (put a tube down your throat into your lungs to breath for you? I thought that's what they did.

Mandi,

IF I had been doing the CPAP machine my airways would not have been as blocked making my breathing that much easier. They did put a tube down my esophogus for me to breath but apparently the airways still were getting blocked. My throat is all bruised from the tube and post surgery my big concern every night is sleeping without the forced oxygen. You've put your trust in this doctor to make the biggest life changing event in your life happen.....if he says CPAP...RUN to the store or wherever to get it....I am requesting one on my follow up visit next week....better smart than sorry later on....good luck to you and hope you make the right decision...

Gumper-I do have a CPAP...I just can't sleep with it on. I'm really trying but I just lay there for hours until I wind up having to take it off just to sleep. I figure if I get no sleep, I'm more at risk of dying now from falling asleep at the wheel and having a wreck (because I commute to work) than having a heart attack from not wearing the CPAP. I'm going to keep trying and I'm going to try taking melatonin to help me sleep with it on. And, I will definitely take it to surgery with me.

I was also diagnosed with sleep apnea and used the machine for two weeks before the surgery and two weeks after, but after that I have chose not to use it because it is the cause of the interruption to my sleep. I fall asleep ok with it on, but if I move, the air starts leaking out and wakes me up, so it's a case of I know I should be using it, but every night it's a struggle to bring myself to use it. Also, paying the monthly fees, I should be taking advantage of the machine while I need it, but I don't.

my wife made a suggestion to me a while back ( which as any good husband does, I basically ignored......) that while I am sitting around watching TV, I can use it then, this way the airways are still getting some of the therapy even if it is not while you are asleep. If I have trouble like you are describing and which I experienced in the past, I will try to use it sitting on the couch watching TV - what could it hurt ?

Mandi,

They tell you that you have to bring the CPAP to the hospital for surgery because you need it in recovery. They do not put it on you during surgery, they use a breathing tube during surgery. I wondered that too, so I asked before surgery.

I'm having a really hard time adjusting to my cpap as well. I tried to tell them the mask wasn't working and I wanted to change but they said I had it adjusted wrong. I wake up in the middle of the night and take it off in my sleep. Now I am past 30 days for them to change the mask and I am stuck with what I have. I haven't worn it in 3 weeks because I can't sleep with it on. I know that I really need it but I don't know what to do.

I know how you feel Sassafras. I have been at a loss myself. They keep telling me to try new masks but it's not really that. I just cant stand having something up my nose cause it feels like I have a stopped up nose and cant breath but I can't breath out my mouth either. And I know I would freak out with one of the masks that covers the face. I had a panic attack at the sleep lab wearing that kind. What to do, what to do..... I did email my dr's office though and they said my surgeon doesn't require us to wear it before or after. So I will only have to wear it at the surgery center after surgery.

Mandi, I know exactly how you feel! I can't sleep with my mouth closed....I thought I could but I can't/ I want to try a different mask but they weren't very receptive to that at the medical equipment place, they just said I needed to get used to the one that I have. I am going to make my best effort to wear it again this weekend. Luckily the sleep dr. wants to see me again 2-3 months after surgery so maybe after I drop some lbs I won't need it anymore. My husband has a full face mask and loves it but I could never wear that!

Sassafras-I can't believe the medical supply store doesnt want you to try a new mask. Mine would sell me one of every kind if I would let them. They are just losing money by not letting you get another one. Of course, my insurance is paying for it, not me. Does your insurance cover it?

It is my understanding that I could only exchange it within the first 30 days at no charge and I am past 30 days. When I went in before the 30 days was up, that was when they told me to get used to the one I had!!! Sure, I could go get another one but I would have to pay cash and I sure don't have that kind of money!