Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

do I really need a C-PAP machine?

Hello fellow banders. I had my lapband surgery 3 weeks ago and everything is going fantastic and I am following the routine- resulting in a 20lbs loss. My question is that before surgery my spouse never complained about me snoaring or stop breathing. As a pre-surgery test I took the sleep tests and my Pulmonologist said that I had a mild case of Apnea and I should get the C-PAP machine. She has aggressively pursued pusued me to get the C-PAP machine even after the surgery. I really don't feel I need it and see it as just another expense....and I sense that there is more here than a true medical need. Have any of you experienced problems if you didn't use the C-PAP but were told that you should?

Thanks!!

My cousin was very heavy and was diagnosed with sleep apnea. He was not one to wear the mask all of the time. He died at the age of 39 due to a heart attack that the Dr. contributed to the excess stress put on his heart because of the apnea. That is what pushed me into persuing surgery and a sleep study. Not saying this is the same for all, but why take the chance........Dave

Check this site for an extensive list of medical consequences of sleep apmea:

http://www.apneos.com/consequences.html#assoc

I was amazed how much more energy I had once I was diagnosed with sleep apnea and started using a CPAP machine. Just like the band, there were some lifestyle changes initially, but over time people adapt to them.

Here is another good site for getting information about sleep apnea, machines, masks, etc.

www.cpaptalk.com CPAP and Sleep Apnea Discussion Forum

Very friendly people helping people over there - very similar to this board.

Surfbored

Hello fellow banders. I had my lapband surgery 3 weeks ago and everything is going fantastic and I am following the routine- resulting in a 20lbs loss. My question is that before surgery my spouse never complained about me snoaring or stop breathing. As a pre-surgery test I took the sleep tests and my Pulmonologist said that I had a mild case of Apnea and I should get the C-PAP machine. She has aggressively pursued pusued me to get the C-PAP machine even after the surgery. I really don't feel I need it and see it as just another expense....and I sense that there is more here than a true medical need. Have any of you experienced problems if you didn't use the C-PAP but were told that you should?

Thanks!!

If you have been diagnosed with sleep apnea, I strongly recommend listening to your doctor's recommendation to use a CPAP.

Sleep apnea can kill.

Thanks Dave- sorry about your cousin-did your cousin have mild apnea? or was it more severe?

Thanks, Very Severe Obstructive Apnea.

How do you get used to sleeping with it on? I have tried 2 different masks and have been trying for over a month now to sleep with my cpap and I just flat CANNOT go to sleep with it on and wind up taking it off after about 2 hours because I have to get some sleep. I can't stand it on my face and in my nose, etc. And I definitely can't use that gel mask that goes over the nose. I had a panic attack wearing that one at the sleep lab. Any suggestions?

When I first got mine I only wore it for a couple hour at a time, always pulling it off in the night. If I stop wearing it completely then it takes awhile to get used wearing it again. I really hate it too and hopefully I won't have to use it anymore once I lose some of this weight.

The last two nights I haven't pulled it off at all, my only suggestion is to keep trying. Does your machine have that "ramp up" feature? My pressure is set to 11 and if I put my mask on when its full pressure I feel like I can't breathe, there is a button on my machine (looks like a ramp going up) that I push that gradually increases to your prescribed pressure so it doesn't overwhelm you all at once.

Don't go by me but ...

I had to get a CPAP before my surgery - it was a requirement. I guess my appnea is pretty bad but I've never had problems sleeping.

I tried to use it for a week with no luck. Then they never took it out of the bag at the hospital and it hasn't left the bag since.

I have sleep apnea, and I have a CPAP. I must be really stubborn, though. I keep taking it off in my sleep. Alot of good it does me sitting on my pillow next to me! Lately, I have been taking it apart in my sleep. I have the comfort gel mask (or something like that) and there is this adjustable thing right at the bridge of your nose.... well, I seem to really have some issues with the mask because now, I wake up and it's next to me .. in 2 pieces. Lovely....

Yes, mine does have a ramp feature but it doesn't really help. I was just worried mainly because I had read somewhere that if you have apnea, they like you to wear the machine 2 weeks before and 2 weeks after surgery. They did tell me to bring it to the surgery center on hte day of my surgery which I will do but they didn't specify if I HAVE to wear it in the meantime.

If the doctor says you need it. Then you need it. As a suffer from apnea that went undiagnosed for 2-3 years. It has other side effects that weren't listed on that page. Like loss of short term memory. If you have apnea your brain can get oxygen starved.

Going for 2-3 years before getting it diagnosed and treated damaged my short term memory.

Once I get my band and lose the weight I wonder how I will handle NOT having the machine. Ive worn it for 13 years now and can not sleep without it.

If your having troubles with it there are things you can do to adjust.

Try different masks, the medical goods companys have tons of different masks from ones that cover the mouth and nose to nasal pillows that fit inside your nostrils. And hundreds inbetween. If your having troubles ask them for a different model/make/type.

Getting used to wearing it may take time. Start off with naps, or try wearing it while listening to the radio, tv, etc while awake.

Its also important not to tighten it to much. Over tightening can be just as bad as it being to lose. And can leak horribly if to tight.

They did something this last year to the mask I use cause when I had to have it replaced It broke me out. So they must have changed gel types or something. So I tried a couple more till I got one that works. And since i have super oily skin I trace and cut out a layer of moleskin that is what actually touches my skin. And change it weekly. Makes it MUCH more comfortable.

but by not using it your your increasing your risk of stroke, heart attack, mood swings, high blood pressure and more.

I have tried 2 different masks but my medical supply company only offers about 8 different types and I know there is no way I could wear the other ones that I haven't tried.

I have used my cpap for about 5 years now and I cant sleep with out it now lol. Before I got mine I would fall asleep during meetings and when I would stop and talk to someone at work. Telecia hit the nail on the head keep trying different mask till you find 1 you like.