Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Stalls-Please share your experiences

Hi:

I would like to start a thread on experiences with stalls. I understand that stalls happen and the weight is lost in a non-linear manner and all that. I am not freaked out about the stalls even though not having thHi:

I would like to start a thread on experiences with stalls. I understand that stalls happen and the weight is lost in a non-linear manner and all that. I am not freaked out about the stalls even though not having the positive feedback does deflate your balloon a little bit.

However I am interested in listening from long timers, especially those who had had the surgery 3 to 6 months ago or even a year ago. Following are my questions:

1) In a longer term, what are approximate timings when stalls typically happen. e.g. everyone says at 3rd week, but what about 3 months or 4 months etc? What have your stall history been?

2) If you had surgery 3 months or 6 months or 9 months or one year ago, how many stalls did you experience approximately?

3) How long your individual stalls last (try and remember how long it took to get the needle moving)?
4) Were there any special considerations or change to your routine that you undertook to break it? e.g. eat more Protein, eliminate carbs or drink Water or double the exercise? What particularly helped you break the stall?

5) Has anyone come across any research or videos especially from medical or research resources? Please share.

Please elaborate. I am interested in experiences. I am not freaked out or anything, just seeking detailed information and stories from people who are going through the journey for a longer while than a few weeks.

Detailed responses are much appreciated. Have a nice holiday season.

e positive feedback does deflate your balloon a little bit.

However I am interested in listening from long timers, especially those who had had the surgery 3 to 6 months ago or even a year ago. Following are my questions:

1) In a longer term, what are approximate timings when stalls typically happen. e.g. everyone says at 3rd week, but what about 3 months or 4 months etc? What have your stall history been?

2) If you had surgery 3 months or 6 months or 9 months or one year ago, how many stalls did you experience approximately?

3) How long your individual stalls last (try and remember how long it took to get the needle moving)?
4) Were there any special considerations or change to your routine that you undertook to break it? e.g. eat more protein, eliminate carbs or drink water or double the exercise? What particularly helped you break the stall?

5) Has anyone come across any research or videos especially from medical or research resources? Please share.

Please elaborate. I am interested in experiences. I am not freaked out or anything, just seeking detailed information and stories from people who are going through the journey for a longer while than a few weeks.

Detailed responses are much appreciated. Have a nice holiday season.

Following! I'm 7 weeks post op and haven't lost a pound in almost two weeks. I'm following all the rules and working out 5 days a week. I actually gained this week and I'm so incredibly frustrated by it all.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

Your questions are long and over thinking something that is pretty simple. Most long term successful people don't care about stalls and don't focus on them, so expect a lot of newbie responses that are going to be basically useless.

My weight loss has gone in different stages. At first I lost every day or every other day. Besides the 3 week stall, no stalls until 5 months.

I stall at significant numbers. My body is trying to defend it's set point, eventually as long as I keep doing the same thing, my body has to give up and lose.

I was over 300 pounds for 18 years. When I got under 300 I stalled in the 290s gaining and losing for a month. Then boom huge weight loss and I was basically 275 in a couple weeks. Then at 250ish I stalled out and kept gaining and losing then I was 240. Same at 230. I was stuck at 220 for 2 months and I maybe it was over, then I lost 12 pounds in a week. Then I slowly lost 10 pounds over like 4 weeks. Now I am stuck at 199. I know it is a stupid pointless stall and I expect when it is over to wake up 195 or 194 or something one day. Because I am still shrinking. I lost like 5 inches totally off my upper torso in 2 weeks but stayed the same weight so I know the weight is coming off.

Stalls for me, mean losing inches, lots of inches. I used to stress about them but by the 9 month mark I realized how they worked and I don't care that much any more. It is just an annoyance.

Now I also stall a lot because I do not take any kind of hormonal birth control. I have a non hormonal IUD. For most of 2016, I have had a period every 2 to 3 weeks so those make up a lot of my stalls. Weighing myself everyday at the exact same time (wake up, urinate, weigh) has allowed me to better understand my weight fluctuations.

At 16 almost 17 months, I don't care about stalls. If you want to properly track your loss measure every week and track it in a spreadsheet along with the scale. I am also a big fan of regular quarterly DEXA scans.

I broke a stall this summer playing pokemon. I walked 20 miles in like a 48 hour time period and broke a stall. That was accidental not on purpose.

When I got tired of being stuck at 220, I did a fat fast to drop weight. I eat Keto normally, and a fat fast is something people on keto do to break a stall. If I stay at 199 another week, I might try it again. The only reason I want to rush a drop is because I want to have plastics late summer, early fall and I need to get to a 30/31 bmi and hold it ASAP.

Edited by OutsideMatchInside

Your questions are long and over thinking something that is pretty simple. Most long term successful people don't care about stalls and don't focus on them, so expect a lot of newbie responses that are going to be basically useless.

My weight loss has gone in different stages. At first I lost every day or every other day. Besides the 3 week stall, no stalls until 5 months.

I stall at significant numbers. My body is trying to defend it's set point, eventually as long as I keep doing the same thing, my body has to give up and lose.

I was over 300 pounds for 18 years. When I got under 300 I stalled in the 290s gaining and losing for a month. Then boom huge weight loss and I was basically 275 in a couple weeks. Then at 250ish I stalled out and kept gaining and losing then I was 240. Same at 230. I was stuck at 220 for 2 months and I maybe it was over, then I lost 12 pounds in a week. Then I slowly lost 10 pounds over like 4 weeks. Now I am stuck at 199. I know it is a stupid pointless stall and I expect when it is over to wake up 195 or 194 or something one day. Because I am still shrinking. I lost like 5 inches totally off my upper torso in 2 weeks but stayed the same weight so I know the weight is coming off.

Stalls for me, mean losing inches, lots of inches. I used to stress about them but by the 9 month mark I realized how they worked and I don't care that much any more. It is just an annoyance.

Now I also stall a lot because I do not take any kind of hormonal birth control. I have a non hormonal IUD. For most of 2016, I have had a period every 2 to 3 weeks so those make up a lot of my stalls. Weighing myself everyday at the exact same time (wake up, urinate, weigh) has allowed me to better understand my weight fluctuations.

At 16 almost 17 months, I don't care about stalls. If you want to properly track your loss measure every week and track it in a spreadsheet along with the scale. I am also a big fan of regular quarterly DEXA scans.

I broke a stall this summer playing pokemon. I walked 20 miles in like a 48 hour time period and broke a stall. That was accidental not on purpose.

When I got tired of being stuck at 220, I did a fat fast to drop weight. I eat Keto normally, and a fat fast is something people on keto do to break a stall. If I stay at 199 another week, I might try it again. The only reason I want to rush a drop is because I want to have plastics late summer, early fall and I need to get to a 30/31 bmi and hold it ASAP.

What she said.

But I'd like to piggyback that I also noticed when I "stalled" I was dropping inches. I had one stall where I didn't lose any weight for six weeks but I dropped tons of inches. Don't measure simply by the scale. On the first of the month I would record my weight and measure my entire body. Just keep on keepin' on and it will all happen in time.

Thank you folks for your responses and apologies for the copy and paste error. The website kinda glitched as I was pasting so I double pasted.

jilani

Thank you for the thread. I guess I'm a newbie but I'm in it for the long haul. And only a 20 lb. loss in my first 2 months has shaken my confidence. It's hearing comments like these that keep me pushing forward with a positive outlook and not getting concerned I'm the lone failure. Thanks again.

Thank you for the thread. I guess I'm a newbie but I'm in it for the long haul. And only a 20 lb. loss in my first 2 months has shaken my confidence. It's hearing comments like these that keep me pushing forward with a positive outlook and not getting concerned I'm the lone failure. Thanks again.

First, never say "only" regarding any weight lost from here on. ANY weight lost is a victory. Celebrate every ounce.

Second, you've got this. Stay the course. Stay positive!

I am at 8 weeks and have been stalled for the last 2. I am really frustrated. I can't eat any less. Hitting the Protein mark but not the Water. I get to about 45-50 oz and that's it. I am exercising and just trying to wait it out. Good to hear others stories. I am down 32 lbs from Oct. 3 surgery and feel great. Just want to get on with losing.

I am usually around 500-600. I am really "by the book" and eating exactly what my handouts tell me. Scrambled egg for Breakfast. A starkist tuna pack for lunch and chicken or salmon for dinner. Maybe some yogurt or a sugar free popsicle thrown in. At 3 oz a meal it just doesn't add up to more.

I'm three months out and have found when I advance my diet I stall for a week or two as my body adjusts to incorporating new food (liquid to soft foods, soft foods to adding veggies, etc.). I've stayed the course and made sure to follow my plan, but I also have a pair of jeans that are my next size down that are waiting in my closet-when I'm going through a stall I'll try them on every few days, and they always fit a little better. That helps me know everything is still moving in the right direction even though the scale might be stuck (which it is now and has been for the past two weeks ps)

And, Jacket52204, thanks for replying.....misery really does "need" company in this case. It really helps to know that someone else is stalled also. I didn't measure inches right after surgery so am not really able to rely on that as motivation. And like I said, my clothes are showing some looseness, but not as much as I over-optimistically expected. Every day I wake up just sure I will have broken below 180. Didn't do it again today. I guess the good news is I can't quit. There is no going Back. At some point this has to change. The struggle is real :)