Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I have a quick question I keep seeing people with long pre-op diets. 6 weeks or 6 months. Is it weird mine is 2 weeks before surgery?

I had no pre-op diet at all, but a lot have at least 2 weeks, some longer.

Nope, one thing you will learn is almost every surgeon has a different philosophy as to what is right and wrong. Some folks have 6 week diets, some have 2 week diets, some folks have 3 day diets, some have none.

The diets even vary, some are only Protein, some are only liquids, some are a combo.

My surgeon had me on a two week liquid diet.

Just follow what your surgical team recommends and you will be fine.

I'm hoping I can drink the Isopure juice for my liquid it has Protein. I have tried so much Protein shakes and they are chunky and gross. I had to add a banana or whole milk. I doubt they will let me add bad stuff. And even then they were hard to go down.

Sent from my LG-H910 using the BariatricPal App

I'm hoping I can drink the Isopure juice for my liquid it has Protein. I have tried so much Protein shakes and they are chunky and gross. I had to add a banana or whole milk. I doubt they will let me add bad stuff. And even then they were hard to go down.

You should get GENEPRO, it's unflavored protein, 30g per 1 tbsp, mixes instantly, can buy on Amazon and you can just add to skim milk, tea, Water, or something else. (I do almond milk). I was doing Protein Shakes the first few weeks and couldn't take it anymore.

Also, my pre-op diet was 7 days, they said it was because I was on the smaller side and didn't need me to really lose that much weight. Everyone is different :)

Also, a lot of people do 6 months because it's required by their insurance, not because of the surgeon's decision

Sent from my LGLS990 using the BariatricPal App

I'm on the bigger side my BMI is in the red my insurance only needs me to do two things get a pre auth from my primary telling them that I need the surgery which I do and then a nutrtion class which my bariatric center does for free and its part of their program. I need flavor to my drinks good flavor. And the juice has like punch blue raspberry. It does come in powder.

Okay thank you everyone. I've done so much research my head hurts. I really want to go in informed.

The 6 month thing is usually required by insurance, I know a lot of the Kaiser plans in California require it. The purpose is not to get your body ready for surgery, it is actually more to get your mind ready. People have group meetings and see a nutritionist. They cut back on fast food, sugar, caffeine, etc. Some require you to lose a certain amount of weight, but the purpose is to prove that you are serious about this thing. SO MANY people come on this forum a week or 2 after surgery and are already disregarding their surgeon's advice because they just can't live without the crap food they used to eat. The surgery is not a magic bullet, you can't go back to eating the way you used to eat and expect to lose weight and get healthy. Plenty of people who have WLS fail to meet their goals, or meet them and then gain it all back. We need to learn a whole new lifestyle. I know plenty of people who did the 6 month thing and are happy they did it. It got them mentally prepared.

That being said my BCBS Texas didn't require any of that. I had my first surgeon's appointment in August. I was right at BMI 40. All I needed to be approved was a psych eval, and then my surgeon ordered some basic pre-op testing. I had a very easy 3 day pre-op diet. My surgery was on Halloween. For me this was fine, I have been researching the sleeve for over 2 years. I have read everything I can about it, I have watched a million YouTube videos, I was 100% ready and I am doing fine. I have ZERO desire to ever go back to the way I used to eat. I always tried to eat healthy, and liked healthy foods, but I was too hungry to stick with it. I realize my sleeve is just a tool to help me manage the hunger, the rest of it will be work.

I think many people have eating disorders that need to be addressed before the surgery. They operate on our stomachs not our heads. Having a support group is important too, I see so many people on here who have friends and family who try to sabotage them. It's sad.

Just letting you know I have tried different protein powders and things as well and I REALLY like the Syntrax nectar chocolate Truffle powder. It is so good I ordered it with 2 other nectar flavors to try! My sister uses this one and had her surgery over a year ago, so I tried it and love it. We buy it on Ebay but you can buy it directly on their website as well and they always have a 20% off code :) Just in case you want to try something yummy with little to no protein-y taste!

Just letting you know I have tried different Protein powders and things as well and I REALLY like the Syntrax nectar chocolate Truffle powder. It is so good I ordered it with 2 other nectar flavors to try! My sister uses this one and had her surgery over a year ago, so I tried it and love it. We buy it on Ebay but you can buy it directly on their website as well and they always have a 20% off code :) Just in case you want to try something yummy with little to no protein-y taste!

Thanks for the info. I looked up the best Protein Powder nectar was number 2 followed by Isopure. Maybe ill do both. Like if I'm craving chocolate ill do the nectar

Okay thank you everyone. I've done so much research my head hurts. I really want to go in informed.

The 6 month thing is usually required by insurance, I know a lot of the Kaiser plans in California require it. The purpose is not to get your body ready for surgery, it is actually more to get your mind ready. People have group meetings and see a nutritionist. They cut back on fast food, sugar, caffeine, etc. Some require you to lose a certain amount of weight, but the purpose is to prove that you are serious about this thing. SO MANY people come on this forum a week or 2 after surgery and are already disregarding their surgeon's advice because they just can't live without the crap food they used to eat. The surgery is not a magic bullet, you can't go back to eating the way you used to eat and expect to lose weight and get healthy. Plenty of people who have WLS fail to meet their goals, or meet them and then gain it all back. We need to learn a whole new lifestyle. I know plenty of people who did the 6 month thing and are happy they did it. It got them mentally prepared.

That being said my BCBS Texas didn't require any of that. I had my first surgeon's appointment in August. I was right at BMI 40. All I needed to be approved was a psych eval, and then my surgeon ordered some basic pre-op testing. I had a very easy 3 day pre-op diet. My surgery was on Halloween. For me this was fine, I have been researching the sleeve for over 2 years. I have read everything I can about it, I have watched a million YouTube videos, I was 100% ready and I am doing fine. I have ZERO desire to ever go back to the way I used to eat. I always tried to eat healthy, and liked healthy foods, but I was too hungry to stick with it. I realize my sleeve is just a tool to help me manage the hunger, the rest of it will be work.

I think many people have eating disorders that need to be addressed before the surgery. They operate on our stomachs not our heads. Having a support group is important too, I see so many people on here who have friends and family who try to sabotage them. It's sad.

My BMI is 52.8. I have psychological issues plus an eating disorder I told my contact lady everything and she said it wouldn't stop me. I'm not doing this to get skinny I'm doing this to get healthy. My insurance requires a letter from my primary stating I need the surgery and I need to see a nutritionist. Which where I'm going has a program with classes. I did so much research my mom got the gastric bypass. So I know her experience. I watched so many youtube videos as well. I know everyone has a different experience. Ill have the support of my team which they said they will make sure I'm well taken care of. Ill be going to support group they have emotional groups. Plus ill have my therapist and Psych med doctor. Which the Bariatric center will work with them as well. I'm so ready. This is going to be a start of a new life for me. Ill do whatever they want. I've tried losing weight before and lost 20lbs. But then gained it right back. I need the rules of the gastric sleeve and know there will be consequences if I don't follow. I already found a gym I would be comfortable working out at. Super cheap.

the two week diet is to help shrink your liver prior to surgery. I used GNC Total Lean 25. I liked the chocolate Peanut Butter and the Orange Creamsicle. Good Luck getting the approval. The only thing that helped me was I had sleep apnea.

the two week diet is to help shrink your liver prior to surgery. I used GNC Total Lean 25. I liked the chocolate Peanut Butter and the Orange Creamsicle. Good Luck getting the approval. The only thing that helped me was I had sleep apnea.

I talked to my insurance company medically I'm good for surgery I have family history of like everything they asked me and I also have trouble breathing at night I have woken up twice because I stopped breathing. All that is left is a letter from my doctor saying its necessary and go to a nutritionist. I see my primary next week and start seeing the nutritionist when I start the program in December.

The whole process took me 3 months to get approval for the sleeve. I started integrating the Protein Shakes immediately into my diet. One replacement meal per month. This way when I had to do the two week liquid diet it wasnt such a shock to my system. I lost 30 lbs. before surgery and the bariatric dr. complimented me on a great job shrinking my liver. I have to be retested for sleep apnea in May or June to see if the weight loss corrected the problem. Best of luck on your journey.