Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

It's really happening...

I'm scheduled for a mini gastric bypass on Dec 7 with Dr Illan and I'm not sure it's sinking in yet. I haven't told anyone In my family with the exception of my husband (my friends and children do not know). I'm posting here in hope of connecting with a few people that will be there along the way also. I'm thankful for an outlet such as this to help process my feelings as I know it's going to be quite a ride. I just can't believe all of this happened so fast and it's really going to happen! In just over a week, I will be in Mexico for my life changing surgery!

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

I'm scheduled for a mini gastric bypass on Dec 7 with Dr Illan and I'm not sure it's sinking in yet. I haven't told anyone In my family with the exception of my husband (my friends and children do not know). I'm posting here in hope of connecting with a few people that will be there along the way also. I'm thankful for an outlet such as this to help process my feelings as I know it's going to be quite a ride. I just can't believe all of this happened so fast and it's really going to happen! In just over a week, I will be in Mexico for my life changing surgery!

Best wishes on your weight loss journey. You've got this. I also told no one but my husband, and four years later he's still the only one outside my medical team that knows. I am still below my original goal and feel WLS was one of the best decisions I've made.

Sent from my XT1096 using the BariatricPal App

Thank you! I am worried my secret will be out when I return. Small town gossip is real. I return the 12th and have to take wresting pictures on the 15th and host a Christmas party in my home on the 17th. I have no idea how I will manage! Thank you!

@@redheadjo, Congratulations on your WLS. Haven't heard much about a mini bypass. Not sure what it is. Sending many blessings your way! :rolleyes:

Thank you! I'd never heard of it either! Originally, I was going to have the gastric sleeve. However, after speaking with my surgeon, he suggested the Mini Bypass. Apparently, it's like the gastric sleeve and bypass combined somewhat.. that's not a great medical explanation, but you get the idea. lol. It's supposed to help with GERD (gastric reflux) too.
Thank you! Blessings to you as well!

I had the mini bypass with Dr. Illan on Nov. 17 (almost 2 wks ago) He is a fantastic surgeon with a fabulous team. I only wish I had done it sooner!! You will do great! The valets are also amazing- tell them that 'Aimee from Utah' said hi! I told almost no one before surgery (only my boss and immediate family) bc I didn't want to hear other ppl's horror stories. Now that I'm back, I don't care who knows or talks about it. That choice is completely up to you!!

Thank you so much Aimee! That is very comforting to hear !! Dr Illan sounded very confident when he talked to me on the phone. I have faith that I've picked the right surgeon but a week of preparation and silent thoughts I can't share can mess with my head sometimes. Originally, I talked to my good friend and mom and oldest daughter about possibly doing this. All of them thought Mexico was a terrible idea and they lectured me out of love. So, I didn't say anymore about it because I don't want them to worry. Maybe once I return, it's done, and all goes well.

Deciding to schedule my procedure happened very quickly. Less than two weeks start to finish. But Bariatric surgery itself has been on my mind for years and that has been difficult. I don't want anyone else to feel they influenced me one way or the other. This is my story to tell.

Thank you.

Thank you! I am worried my secret will be out when I return. Small town gossip is real. I return the 12th and have to take wresting pictures on the 15th and host a Christmas party in my home on the 17th. I have no idea how I will manage! Thank you!

Good luck and don't worry about people . You are doing this for you and your health.

Keep us postef

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using the BariatricPal App

Thank you so much Aimee! That is very comforting to hear !! Dr Illan sounded very confident when he talked to me on the phone. I have faith that I've picked the right surgeon but a week of preparation and silent thoughts I can't share can mess with my head sometimes. Originally, I talked to my good friend and mom and oldest daughter about possibly doing this. All of them thought Mexico was a terrible idea and they lectured me out of love. So, I didn't say anymore about it because I don't want them to worry. Maybe once I return, it's done, and all goes well.

Deciding to schedule my procedure happened very quickly. Less than two weeks start to finish. But Bariatric surgery itself has been on my mind for years and that has been difficult. I don't want anyone else to feel they influenced me one way or the other. This is my story to tell.

Thank you.

You're so welcome- glad I could help by sharing! I usually read on these boards and stay quiet, but when I saw your post, I knew I had to reply! I, like you, had considered surgery for years, but insurance excluded it and I couldn't pay the out of pocket costs in the US. Just because it seems sudden to others doesn't mean it's actually impulsive! It takes courage to take this step (and to stick to the pre-op diet, too!) I am proud of you!!

With my parents and sister, I showed them a lot of research, testimonials, etc before booking- and had their support. With the rest of my immediate family (and 2 bosses, too), I first told them I was having surgery (and why) so they could process it. Then, I told them (a few days or week later) that it would be in Mexico. Both announcements were big and I wanted them to process separately. By the time I told them about Mexico, I already had plane tickets and had paid the deposit, so they knew they couldn't change my mind.

Please make sure you have the support you need: family or friends or message boards or wherever else. I felt very supported by my doctors, valets, nurses, Bill/Stacey, etc while in Mexico, which was a huge blessing. I am here, too- you can message me with questions or just vent. I am still a newbie, for sure, but that also means I am close to where you are in your journey, which can be helpful. It also helps to know that hormones are stored in fat, which basically gave me permission (in my mind) to be emotional as long as I need to be (and it's been an emotional roller coaster, for sure!) when I feel emotional, I tell myself that I must be losing fat! (They don't call it a journey for nothing- and that includes the decision to do it, what surgery/when/where, and the pre-op diet- so you've already begun!)

You may want to keep the Dec plans you have already made. But, if you decide to postpone, cancel, or ask for more help, that's okay, too. Even an annual event pales in comparison to something that can change the rest of your life. Put yourself first for now. You deserve it! (And, if you're like me and feel guilty for doing that, remind yourself that you'll be able to do even more for others later on by doing this for yourself now!) You may feel up to all of it after surgery (I was surprised how I felt a wk later), but don't force yourself to do more than your body wants to, esp the first few wks. Not trying to lecture or tell you what to do, just want you to be able to recover without a ton of pressure to be '100% back to normal' the second you get home. Go a little easy on yourself and see how you feel. (After having MS for years, I am finally learning to do that, but it's a lot harder than it sounds!)

You are welcome to PM me if you want.

I am so excited for you!!

Aimee

Good luck and well wishes

Edited by brandyshell

@@redheadjo

Thank you! I'd never heard of it either! Originally, I was going to have the gastric sleeve. However, after speaking with my surgeon, he suggested the Mini Bypass. Apparently, it's like the gastric sleeve and bypass combined somewhat.. that's not a great medical explanation, but you get the idea. lol. It's supposed to help with GERD (gastric reflux) too.

Thank you! Blessings to you as well!

Ok cool!