Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Cheated on Pre-Op Diet

I am on day 7 of my 2 week pre-op diet, I did well the first three days of the diet, then I did extremely bad for three days while I was extremely busy and stressed out and I admit I just completely threw the diet out the window for those three days, I was supposed to be on all liquids, and I did more than just eat solid foods, I ate fast food for most of those three days, now I feel awful about it and I feel like I have sabotaged my surgery, I don't know what I can do other than be good for the rest of the diet because if I postpone the surgery then it probably won't be in the month of December and then my insurance is changing so I would have to go through approval all over again, so I feel like all I can do is be good for the full second week and one day left before surgery. Surgery is a week from Monday. Is one week even enough time to make my liver ok for surgery?

Have you talked to your doctor about this? Have you considered how you are going to deal with stress once you've had the surgery and could do actual physical harm to yourself if you ignore the prescribed post op diet? Do you feel that you are mentally ready for this procedure and do you have a counselor who can help you stop eating your emotions?

My questions are simply "food for thought" and not at all meant in a judgmental way. No need to answer the questions above out loud, simply think about what I've said.

Best of luck to you.

Don't beat yourself up. Just know that you have to follow the diet for the rest of the pre op period and the next time you have the urge to cheat just ask yourself if you want to make complications for your surgery or push it back. You can do it, be strong!

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

@@LipstickLady thank you for your reply, yes I have a counselor, I have not talked to my doctor yet, but I am afraid that he will want to reschedule the surgery which could make me have to go through the approval process all over again with it being so late in the year and my insurance changing. Yes I do feel that I am ready for the surgery, I have been preparing for months, I just got sidetracked with some extreme circumstances this week. I would never do anything after surgery to jeopardize my safety by going off the prescribed diet I know how dangerous it is. But thank you for reminding me of the severity of my lack in judgement this week.

@@LipstickLady thank you for your reply, yes I have a counselor, I have not talked to my doctor yet, but I am afraid that he will want to reschedule the surgery which could make me have to go through the approval process all over again with it being so late in the year and my insurance changing. Yes I do feel that I am ready for the surgery, I have been preparing for months, I just got sidetracked with some extreme circumstances this week. I would never do anything after surgery to jeopardize my safety by going off the prescribed diet I know how dangerous it is. But thank you for reminding me of the severity of my lack in judgement this week.

Good for you and THANK YOU for taking my words with the intent in which they were made.

I am rooting for you!!

What's more important food or your health.... Sorry! We all have been there.. If you don't talk to your Dr about this you could be jeprodising your health.. This is not a joke a lot of thing could go wrong.. Ppl have died.... Do not play with your life be honest...

Sent from my SM-N920P using the BariatricPal App

My only concern about NOT talking to your doctor? I totally understand your fear of being rescheduled but I highly doubt that will happen if you stick to your diet from here out. That said, I do not know your current height/weight/BMI (nor am I a doctor), so I don't know his/her goals for you pre-op.

Nothing would suck more than being opened up and then stitched up with no surgery because he/she isn't happy with your progress or liver.

Again, just thinking out loud.

Stay on the staight and narrow from here on out, and you're going to be fine. Drink lots of Water. I didn't even have a pre op diet, but don't want you to go against your surgeons orders anymore than you already have. Your own surgeon knows best.

Please understand life happens, even after surgery. Coping with the normal stressors that life naturally brings without turning to food or any other self destructive ways is the single most important thing to make this surgery successful. Please take some time to ponder that this next week and have a solid plan you can put into place when those types of situations happen again post op. You aren't going to be perfect, because none of us are, but knowing you're following your plan 3/4 of the time makes those weaker moments more forgiving :)

Good luck with your surgery and keep us posted!

@@Frenchie1977, here's another two cents.

Instead of "I cheated...," try "I chose...." There is power in "choice." Power is what we make of it. "Cheating" is for card games.

Edited by WLSResources/ClothingExch

@@Frenchie1977, here's another two cents.

Instead of "I cheated...," try "I chose...." There is power in "choice." Power is what we make of it. "Cheating" is for card games.

And being the banker in monopoly!

My family still hasn't figured this out.

I promise not to tell them, but I'm crushed if Monopoly "bankers" really cheat. Honest, I never had a clue. Oh, oh, oh, no, no, no, do people cheat at "Clue?"

Waa-a-a-a-a-a-h! This really hurts.

My family still hasn't figured this out.

I promise not to tell them, but I'm crushed if Monopoly "bankers" really cheat. Honest, I never had a clue. Oh, oh, oh, no, no, no, do people cheat at "Clue?"

Waa-a-a-a-a-a-h! This really hurts.

"Uno" we do!