Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What's your diet like after your pouch heals?

I'm trying to envision what the average diet for a post-op sleever is after

1. their pouch has fully healed and they are on full solid foods, but they are still in the weight loss phase (2 months post-op?).

2. they have met their weight loss goal and are in maintenance.

If anyone would care to share average # of calories, a daily menu, etc., it sure would be appreciated!

1. Weight loss phase: I stayed under 800 calories for the first six months, then under 1100 calories from six months to goal.

During weight loss, I was not permitted grains, starchy veggies, tropical fruits, sweets, or liquids with calories other than Protein Shakes. My meals were 3 small meals per day plus only Protein shakes for Snacks. A sample menu might be: breakfast: steak and pickle relish wrapped in romaine lettuce. Lunch: tuna salad and a couple of prunes. Dinner: scrambled egg with avocado and melted cheese. Snacks: 2-3 protein shakes.

2. Maintenance phase: I typically stay under 1600 calories. My meals are a little bigger and I do have "real" snacks. I also allow myself one serving of whole grains daily, but I still avoid starchy veggies, tropical fruits, sweets, and liquid calories -- except on very special occasions, such as Christmas. Then, all bets are off!

Sample menu: breakfast: hot oat bran Cereal with toasted almonds, almond butter, and cashew milk. Lunch: chicken breast and grilled asparagus salad with light champagne vinaigrette dressing. Dinner: baked salmon topped with an egg, roast cauliflower. Snacks: low cal hot cocoa, Greek yogurt, small apple, dried apricots, turkey Jerky.< /p>

I have lost over 200 lbs and am maintaining at a healthy weight. I continue to watch what I eat very carefully.

PS this is just an aside and it is a small matter, but none of us sleevers have "pouches." That's what RNY people have. You can accurately call your stomach a stomach, or a sleeve, or a sleeved stomach, but not a pouch.

Good luck to you!

1. Weight loss phase: I stayed under 800 calories for the first six months, then under 1100 calories from six months to goal.

During weight loss, I was not permitted grains, starchy veggies, tropical fruits, sweets, or liquids with calories other than Protein shakes. My meals were 3 small meals per day plus only Protein Shakes for Snacks. A sample menu might be: breakfast: steak and pickle relish wrapped in romaine lettuce. Lunch: tuna salad and a couple of prunes. Dinner: scrambled egg with avocado and melted cheese. Snacks: 2-3 Protein shakes.< /p>

2. Maintenance phase: I typically stay under 1600 calories. My meals are a little bigger and I do have "real" Snacks. I also allow myself one serving of whole grains daily, but I still avoid starchy veggies, tropical fruits, sweets, and liquid calories -- except on very special occasions, such as Christmas. Then, all bets are off!

Sample menu: breakfast: hot oat bran Cereal with toasted almonds, almond butter, and cashew milk. Lunch: chicken breast and grilled asparagus salad with light champagne vinaigrette dressing. Dinner: baked salmon topped with an egg, roast cauliflower. Snacks: low cal hot cocoa, Greek yogurt, small apple, dried apricots, turkey Jerky.< /p>

I have lost over 200 lbs and am maintaining at a healthy weight. I continue to watch what I eat very carefully.

PS this is just an aside and it is a small matter, but none of us sleevers have "pouches." That's what RNY people have. You can accurately call your stomach a stomach, or a sleeve, or a sleeved stomach, but not a pouch.

Good luck to you!

Thank you for all of your insight, that is very helpful!

And I'm glad to hear that RE: Stomach vs. Pouch. The term "pouch" has rubbed me the wrong way ever since I started researching WLS, haha! :)

During weight loss, I was not permitted grains, starchy veggies, tropical fruits, sweets, or liquids with calories other than Protein shakes. My meals were 3 small meals per day plus only Protein Shakes for Snacks. A sample menu might be: breakfast: steak and pickle relish wrapped in romaine lettuce. Lunch: tuna salad and a couple of prunes. Dinner: scrambled egg with avocado and melted cheese. Snacks: 2-3 Protein shakes.< /p>

2. Maintenance phase: I typically stay under 1600 calories. My meals are a little bigger and I do have "real" Snacks. I also allow myself one serving of whole grains daily, but I still avoid starchy veggies, tropical fruits, sweets, and liquid calories -- except on very special occasions, such as Christmas. Then, all bets are off!

Sample menu: breakfast: hot oat bran cereal with toasted almonds, almond butter, and cashew milk. Lunch: chicken breast and grilled asparagus salad with light champagne vinaigrette dressing. Dinner: baked salmon topped with an egg, roast cauliflower. Snacks: low cal hot cocoa, Greek yogurt, small apple, dried apricots, turkey Jerky.< /p>

Good luck to you!

Wow.. thank you so much..never read on the eats during the maintaince phase..love the example ) except fish ..allergic????) thank you and way to go on your journey..oh and yes..smaller stomach sounds so much better????

Sent from my SM-N920P using the BariatricPal App

I'm officially twelve weeks out today. Honestly, my calories vary daily. Some days, I just can barely eat a thing, and I barely get in 60 grams of Protein. My cals on bad days are around 450-500. Normally, however, I hit about 650-700 cals a day.

Morning: I eat NF Fage yogurt 4 oz) or a one egg omelette with cherry peppers and a tablespoon of mozzarella cheese.

Premier Protein shake

Lunch: 2 ozs of tuna (Trader Joe's Sriracha tuna salad or 2 oz of the tuna pouch packets or 2 oz of chicken breast or 2 oz of Trader Joe's sriracha baked tofu or 2 oz of Trader Joe's less guilt chicken salad; an oz or two of a green veggie - normally broccoli or string Beans - or a small broccolini salad. A mini baby bell mozzarella cheese melted on broccoli or cauliflower.

Low fat moolicous string cheese

dinner is normally a repeat of lunch

That's a typical day - sometimes I'll have a couple of apple slices, but I try to stay away from fruit. The sugar makes me crave more sugar.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

Edited by Omieliz

I'm 8 weeks. I am allowed Protein, vegetables and fruit - no carbs until maintenance.

My NUT said I could stop the shakes, but there is no way I can hit 60g of Protein without the powder.

A typical day:

B: spinach omelette

L: 3 oz of a protein with 1 oz of vegetable

D: same as lunch

Snack: coconut yogurt with a scoop of Protein Powder

I'm averaging approx. 700 cals/day

I'm almost 3 months post-op. My program calls for 800-1200 cal/day, 60g+ Protein, and 64 oz+ Water. I typically eat a variety of things, changes daily. My main Protein sources are edamame, lots of fish and seafood, Beans, homemade milk kefir, cheese and chia seeds. I usually have a serving of fruit a day, usually half a grapefruit or blueberries, and for vegetables, I really love spinach salads. I eat clean, and almost everything I eat is unprocessed.

I was 600-800 calories until I hit goal (just over 6 months). I'm still trying to figure out maintenance (almost 8 months) but right now 1100 calories has me holding at 120.25 pounds (5'3", age 61, moderately active).

Daily menu through weight loss and now - I added more Protein via more Snacks to add calories:

Breakfast: 1/4 C eggbeater plus 1/4 C cottage cheese plus chopped roasted tomatoes/chilis

Lunch: 2 oz tuna plus pickles plus small amount of mayo with 1/2 C cottage cheese

Dinner: 3 oz meat plus low-carb vegetables (whatever will fit)

Snacks: (number depended on point I was at) Quest Sour Cream and Onion chips, low-fat cheese sticks, cheddar cheese, cottage cheese, Quest Protein Bars (basically a dessert for me now), almonds, deli turkey