Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

6 month post op appointment

Had my 6 month post op rny appointment this week. I'll start by saying my pre surgery weight was 286. At my 6 month appointment I weighed 199. My surgeon never had me set a goal weight and I didn't really give it a lot of thought I just intended to get to a healthier weight and reduce my high bp. My doctor at my recent apt said that when I hit 180 I should make my calories in match my calories out and maintain weight. I was confused and said so I shouldn't lose anymore than 19 more pounds...and she said yes that would be a comfortable weight for me and I wouldn't have to struggle to maintain that. Now my problem with that is I still have over 6 months of active weight loss left....am I only going to lose 19 pounds in that long of a period??? And why stop there? Now that I actually think about it I'd really like to be atleast 160. Has anyone else been told to stop before you feel your done? I'm 33 years old and 5'4 so I'm still considered obese!

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using the BariatricPal App

I'm 5'3" and I've set my goal as 135 lbs which is where I look my best. The doctor thought 145 would be good but didn't discourage me. At 33 years old I had never been obese yet (I started gaining weight at 50) and always weighed between 125 and 130, even after having my son. Maybe she wants to select a weight a little higher so that you don't get discouraged? What kind of surgery did you have?

I had the rny gastric bypass. And I feel that's alot of change to your body and alot to go through to stop at 6 months in. Especially since I'm still willing to put in the work to go further!

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using the BariatricPal App

I would ask your doctor why that weight, since technically, you would still be considered obese!! I started very near your weight and I know what I looked like at 180 pounds!! Could you have misunderstood what she said? The final decision is yours and do what makes you comfortable and healthy!!

Your weight goal is an artificial number. I had RNY gastric bypass surgery and my weight loss stopped at around 7 months and I transitioned into the maintenance phase. Your weight loss will very naturally get smaller the closer you come to an end of the weight loss phase.

I set my goal weight for the high side of normal BMI. This has the lowest mortality rate. You want to have a little extra fat on you in case you encounter a serious illness or accident to help carry you through the recovery process. Being normal is good. Being underweight, overweight or obese has higher mortality rates.

that is really weird. I'd just keep going until my body decides to stop (and without taking drastic means to get there....). Your body may decide to stop at 180 - or not.