Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Dr. Deol's Dear John Letter

What the ****? I feel like I just got dumped! What now? Effective immediately? Like, no last chance to schedule a quickie or anything? I had an appointment last month that was cancelled because if I'm "doing fine" I don't "need" to see her...I AM, right now, NOT FINE!!! Anyone else NOT FINE with this? Any one else having ABANDONMENT ISSUES? Or am I just the only selfish **** that's not that happy about this? SURE, SURE...I'm happy for her, I'm glad she is so good at what she does that she can go on to bigger & better things...BUT...ME ME ME!!!!!!!! AAARRGGGHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!

Hi April!!! You are so not alone with this. I will admit to some serious abandonment issues as well. She told me about it in person when I was in for a fill last week -- I very nearly started crying right then! She was so sweet though -- she kept giving me hugs!

Are you coming to the meeting tomorrow? I'm sure that will be the main topic of the night! We can all cry on each other's shoulders. :) Screw hunger cues... we have ISSUES to discuss!!!! LOL

Maria

wow marilyn, you must really feel lost...just being banded a few weeks ago. I was banded in July and know I feel like I am walking in circles trying to figure out who to go to next. It was a hard decision to find the right doctor in the first place, now I have to find another...has anyone decided on who they will see ?

I don't know what I am going to do. Two of the docs Dr. Deol recommended are only 3 miles from my house... but when I've brought up their names on LBT, no one has come forward and said, "Yeah, they are great." I've heard nothing from their patients. Also, I think I read somewhere that one of them had only done 25 bands. I'm not wanting to be a guinea pig when I get my fills. I even wrote to one of their patients directly, I believe she even works for them.... no response. If they were wonderful, I'm sure she would have responded.

I've heard great things about Port Huron. I may just drive there. It would only be about a 45 minute drive.... but hey, I'm worth it!

Debbie asked me if I still wanted copies of my records, since new people may be taking over the office. I told her yes. Actually, I think I will make several copies, so if I try the place by my house and don't like it, I can go elsewhere.

I'm just thankful that she did my surgery before leaving.

Good luck to all of you! Let's keep in touch and try to figure this out together. You'll be in my thoughts and prayers.

I too tried asking about Dr Meguid and Dr. H and got no response, however, I did get a response from Eastside bansters on Dr. Krause in Royal Oak and he got great reviews,but his office staff didn't. Maybe tonight they will have some information on who may possibly by out her practice???

I have heard wonderful things about Port Huron, but that just seems too far for me to go... heck, I would want to make a two day trip out Chicago if that was the case.

Good luck everyone!

I'm a port huron lapbander that originally had chosen Dr. Deol first. I'm glad I made the choice I did at this point. Anyways... Port Huron is great. It's about 1 1/2 hour drive each way for me so I take a day off to go. They have two doctors that work together and both do a good job. I've been adjusted by both and they were both great and friendly. If something happens to one doctor the other comes in and takes care of his patients so I don't have any concern about my doctor (Dr. Boutt) leaving and my being stuck. I know the Lapband Center of Michigan will replace him and I won't be sent out on my own. I highly recommend Port Huron. It's worth the drive!

I'm really really glad I found this thread. I actually cried when I read Dr. Deol's letter. I have had my band for two years, and I am used to being able to call with any concern and have her or Rebecca (who I just learned is already gone...) tell me exactly what to do. I am having serious abandonment issues. I'm working on finding a new doctor right now. I'm really excited for Dr. Deol, she deserves it, but I haven't considered not being able to talk to her if I need to.

I'm glad to know I am not the only that freaked out over this. My sister was taken off guard when I called her crying about this! It's all going to be fine, right??? Did anyone make any decisions? I made a call to Henry Ford this afternoon. My other doctors are all through HFHS. I went with Dr. Deol in the first place because I really loved how she did things. I'll be reading to find out if anyone has found a new surgeon and what their response was. I'm nervous!

Isn't she going to Chicago? Chi-town is only about five hours or so from Detroit, why isn't anyone talking about continuing to go see her? Is she no longer going to be in Bariatric practice?

So many people on this board travel all day to get to their doctors, many fly hours one way. Chicago is pretty close, and if you hop on the train, it can make a great way to spend a day.

Isn't she going to Chicago? Chi-town is only about five hours or so from Detroit, why isn't anyone talking about continuing to go see her? Is she no longer going to be in Bariatric practice?

So many people on this board travel all day to get to their doctors, many fly hours one way. Chicago is pretty close, and if you hop on the train, it can make a great way to spend a day.

Yes, that is possible...but... She is going to set up a practice there, Right now there's not even a building. I'd love to make the trip for her, and she's expressed to me that she would love for her patients to do that. I need someone here. This band thing has been a lot harder than I expected. I live in fear of another band slip, so I need someone locally to hold my hand whenever I hiccup the wrong way. If ever I'm out that way or I find myself with time to kill...I'm there. But I still want the security of someone to watch over me here too.

Being in kalamazoo, going out to troy to see her took me 2.5 hours, so chicago isn't much further - i feel very fortunate! I'm not sure how my insurance will feel about it being out of my state, but maybe I will just pay out of pocket.. it's worth it to know you're in good hands! I feel bad for my mother though, .. her previous lap band doctor was one of the people on Dr. Deol's list.. i think it was mcguid? Not sure on the spelling.. Anyway - she wasn't that impressed with him... Finding Dr. Deol was a godsend for my mother - she had just about given up on the band working for her when we found Dr. deol, and dr. deol was able to actually help my mom figure out what was wrong, instead of always recommending another adjustment!! My mom lives closer to port huron, so chicago is a bit of a drive for her.. but who knows, maybe we will both make a mini-vacation out of it when we go to get fills together!

Michigan is definitely losing a great doctor!

What the ****? I feel like I just got dumped! What now? Effective immediately? Like, no last chance to schedule a quickie or anything? I had an appointment last month that was cancelled because if I'm "doing fine" I don't "need" to see her...I AM, right now, NOT FINE!!! Anyone else NOT FINE with this? Any one else having ABANDONMENT ISSUES? Or am I just the only selfish **** that's not that happy about this? SURE, SURE...I'm happy for her, I'm glad she is so good at what she does that she can go on to bigger & better things...BUT...ME ME ME!!!!!!!! AAARRGGGHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!

Yeah I hear you April . . . I too got "dumped" by Dr. Deol. But at least some had their band surgery with her already . . . I have worked hard all this past summer, doing nothing but going to doctor visits and getting those pre-op tests done, getting ready for the surgery. I gave up any chance for a summer vacation because I had to work my schedule around doctor appointments, plus I was anticipating the money I'd have to spend on the support group ($800) and the money for the opti-fast pre-op diet. But it was all ok, back then I had a GOAL . . . to get banded and start a new life. Now all that is suddenly stopped . . . all I have right now are my medical records and a fat body that didn't get the help it was looking for. My enthusiasm for this surgery has flopped.:faint:

I'm crying as I write this. :think YEAH, I know bad things happen in life, and I know I can find another doctor, but right now I'm just feeling very very down. I did so much and came so far, only to hit a brick wall. Somehow it just all seems so wrong. Yes I understand she got a better offer in Chicago, and I don't blame her for taking it, but just to dump your patients so quickly and take off . . . what's that *really* say about her as a doctor? Building your own dreams on the broken dreams of others is just wrong. If she wanted to make a change it should have been done more gradually . . . making sure your patients were taken care of before you left.

I'm sorry if this all sounds so bitter, whiny, and self-centered. I'm just feeling the pain right now. It's tough starting again. I haven't seen many positive things said about the doctors she recommended. The Port Huron doctors sound wonderful but driving an hour and a half one way to get surgery and then fills does not. I'm hoping things will turn out better eventually, right now I'm just stuck in blues. I hate this fat body and I want OUT of it. It's causing more than bad health, it's smothering my life, my spirit and my soul. :think

Has anyone heard if another doctor is taking over her practice? Last I heard they were still talking about it. Rosewolf, I feel for you. I can't even imagine how devastating it must be for you to come so close. Don't give up now, you are right there... it will get done.

As for me, the two doctors on the east side are just too far for me to go right now. I have an appointment with Dr. Krausse in November. I read some good posts about him from another website. And, Bess, the gal in his office was very nice to me on the phone. I had read where others complained about his office staff. The other thing I liked about him was he was at Beaumont. At least if there is an emergency, I know I can go there and it is fairly close.

Chicago is always an option, and of course she has invited all her patients out there, but if the east side it too far for me, so is Chicago... but, one never knows.

Good luck with whom ever you choose!

Oh RoseWolf, my heart goes out to you. I have been having my own little pitty party, but reading your post really put things in perspective. I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers. I wish only the best for you, I hope you find a doc you like soon.

James2539, last I heard, the two docs in St. Clair Shores are taking her patients, but not her practice. If anyone hasn't gotten their records, you better get over there and get them. Debbie was only staying another week and then was going on to another job. I'm not sure when her last day is/was.

I am in a similar situation. Dr. Mejias, Athens, Ga. allowed me to go through the whole ordeal, psy. nutrition, and the day before my pre-op, his office called and said I would need to pay the whole amount that insurance did not pay. I had JUST paid off my gall bladder surgery that I had 2 months ago with him and then he sprung that one on me. I called the hospital to cancel my pre-op and they suggested I keep the pre-opt appointment so I did. My follow up was with him the next day and basically he said no pay.... no surgery. I walked out feeling VERY bad for myself but hopeful that I sent a statement that his policy was unfair. I understand he has bills to pay and needs his money but my insurance was going to pay great. It was ONLY 600.00 that he needed but the point was not money but the fact that he told me 7 days before my surgery to pay or else. I chose or else..... I'm hoping the good feeling of standing up for my self (AND Others this is happening to) will get me through the tuff times.