Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Not even 24hrs post op

Sooo I had my sleeve less than 24hrs ago and I feel like crap...obviously I know. The pain isn't too bad but the gas pressure is intense! On top of that every time I get up to pee I get the hiccups...which is very painful! As also whenever I try to adjust myself I get nauseous out of nowhere and end up "throwing up/dry heaving. My doctor also said that the procedure its self was a little difficult because my stomach was really thick, which is unusual. Has anyone experience any of these things post op?

Sent from my SM-G935T using the BariatricPal App

Get up and walk as much as you can it does help

I had surgery on Monday 11/14.

No pain but intense nausea...

stay on the anti nausea meds ... gets better by day 4.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

Get well soon. You are so brave much love and respect

Sent from my SM-G928F using the BariatricPal App

Edited by Siyaa Ela

One of the nurses gave me alcohol swabs to sniff for bouts of nausea. It was a miracle worker!

Walking, heating pad, and not laying down (slept in a recliner), & Gas-X helped the most with gas. It was the worst part.

Hiccups hurt too, I just kept my abdominal binder on and clutched a small pillow across my stomach to hold it as still as possible.

Surgery date- 11/8/16, Height- 5'6", HW- 249, SW- 235, GW- 160, CW (11/16)- 226

it isn't uncommon to have nausea that early often spurred by the anethesia trying to clear out of your system. I had it that first night after surgery and they put an anti-nausea med in my iv line and it took care of it. I did have a few mild bouts of nausea (never actually vomitted and they only lasted about 10 minutes) through the first week, typically only one a day in the morning. The hiccups when you get up is probably the gas moving around as you move around - it will get better as the gas clears out of your system. Get up and walk as often as you can, that really is the only way to dispel the gas. As another poster mentioned, hold a pillow against your abdomen when you get up or back into bed/seated position. The mild pressure when you move really does help.

Is the pain manageable?? I wish you a swift recovery????

Sent from my SM-G928F using the BariatricPal App

I was pleasantly surprised that the pain wasn't bad at all. I am on non narcotics, just because I didn't want to get sick from them, but the nausea and the gas pain is what makes it so uncomfortable! Thank you sooo much!????

I had surgery on Monday 11/14.

No pain but intense nausea...

stay on the anti nausea meds ... gets better by day 4.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

They gave me like 3 different ones because even after the first couple doses I was still nauseous. But Metter now though! Just a little uncomfortable.

My nausea was virtually non existent once I went home. While I was in the hospital, I would feel it coming on after I walked. The only time I felt nausea at home was during my first shower, they gave me Zofran for home , I took it and I was good. Currently between 3 and four weeks post op and that has been my only bout with it.

Good Luck!