Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Psychological Evaluation

Hi everyone I'm a new on here. Today I'm having my psychological testing. And I'm so very nerves. 2 hour appointment. How do they determine if you are well enough to go through Surgery?

I'm 3 months in my nutrition that has not been a problem. I know I still have a long ways to go. But this appointment is making me very nerves! Any input on what might lie ahead for me?

Sent from my LGLS990 using the BariatricPal App

Take a deep breath. It won't be bad. At my appointment we went through my history of weight problems - I had to fill out a questionnaire before hand. They really just wanted to make sure that I understand the risks of the surgery, why a lot of the post-op guidelines are there and that I understood the surgery isn't a miracle cure and that I needed to commit to some major lifestyle changes along with it. They also wanted to make sure I had a support network (doesn't have to be family, just a couple of people who are in your corner). They also wanted to guage whether there were any issues that might impact my success that I need to deal with (eating disorders, depression etc). They may recommend you get professional counseling depending on your specific info but see that for what it is - a way to set you up for success!

My psych eval didn't take that long. It was easy. They mainly want to know what you have done to try to lose weight in the past, make sure you understand what you are getting into (the surgery is not a magic bullet, it requires a lifestyle change) and that you have some type of support group. I would only worry if you have a diagnosed eating disorder or depression/anxiety issues that are not well managed.

I actually enjoyed the psych eval. I met with the psychologist for an hour and then took a long battery assessment. We talked about my history with food, the positive ways I had been working toward re-establishing my relationship with food during my six-month pre-op diet, and about my post-op life and supports. She helped me to re-affirm that I was doing the right thing, and it was a very positive part of my pre-op experience.

They mainly want to make sure you aren't suicidal, have any food disorders or substance abuse.. that kind of thing. My psych asked what I eat on a day to day basis, if I had support from other people, and my mental history. I have major depressive disorder and anxiety so she just got confirmation from my personal psych and I was cleared.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using the BariatricPal App

I had my eval and the dr said I was anxious and because I had an eating disorder thirty years ago I needed counseling. Not sure if that will delay my surgery. I am anxious because I want to get this over!

Sent from my iPad using the BariatricPal App