Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Does anyone regret having surgery?

I should mention I avoid ALL refined carbs. I eat no bread, Pasta, rice or sugar. All my carbs come from fruits, vegetables, Beans and legumes.

That's where I'm getting my carbs from. Also, bread, pasta and rice expand in the stomach, right? So we have to avoid that for like 6 months I think?

So...you don't think maintaining ketosis is necessary for major weight loss? I do not like the way ketosis feels. Doesn't make me sick I just don't like it. Good info you posted.

Sent from my iPhone

No, I don't, and my surgeon agrees. She says that her experience is that people love Keto while they're losing, but eventually a lot of them start letting carbs creep in and they don't stay on it for the long haul. She thinks a more moderate approach is the most sustainable. She agrees that sugars and simple carbs are absolutely problematic when trying to lose weight, but complex carbs are good for most people to eat. The scientific data shows that the program that works is the one you'll stick with.

There are a number of reasons it appeals to people. Some find that eating carbs, especially the breads and grains, is a slippery slope and they have to avoid it entirely. Some find that shifting to a paleo/keto diet feels really good for them. They might have a slight gluten sensitivity that they are treating by shifting their diet away from grains. Some find that it just works incredibly well for them in terms of weight loss and that keeps them motivated.

So I don't want to slam keto. A *LOT* of bariatric programs push low-carb/keto, and you'll find a LOT of proponents here for it.

I get what most people recognize as the "carb flu" but instead of being over in 3-5 days like most people, I stay in that miserable state and it doesn't seem to ever resolve. Granted, I've never been able to last more than 2 weeks in ketosis (and that was post-op) but it definitely seems that my body hates it. So I have to find what works for me, and so far that's complex carbs in the 80-100g/day range. We'll see if it works long term, I may have to tweak that.

People regretting it because of the pre-op or liquid diet? ??? Or even pureed? Please!!! Even when I was living thru them, they seemed to have gone by fast. Now 14+ weeks out, and 60 lbs gone, those Phases are a distant memory.

Not meant for those with complications, but if you did your research you should have expected it to be challenging for about two weeks, you should have known about sagging skin and Hair loss. These too will pass, there is nothing to regret.

Sent from my SM-N910T using the BariatricPal App

So...you don't think maintaining ketosis is necessary for major weight loss? I do not like the way ketosis feels. Doesn't make me sick I just don't like it. Good info you posted.

Sent from my iPhone

No, I don't, and my surgeon agrees. She says that her experience is that people love Keto while they're losing, but eventually a lot of them start letting carbs creep in and they don't stay on it for the long haul. She thinks a more moderate approach is the most sustainable. She agrees that sugars and simple carbs are absolutely problematic when trying to lose weight, but complex carbs are good for most people to eat. The scientific data shows that the program that works is the one you'll stick with.

There are a number of reasons it appeals to people. Some find that eating carbs, especially the breads and grains, is a slippery slope and they have to avoid it entirely. Some find that shifting to a paleo/keto diet feels really good for them. They might have a slight gluten sensitivity that they are treating by shifting their diet away from grains. Some find that it just works incredibly well for them in terms of weight loss and that keeps them motivated.

So I don't want to slam keto. A *LOT* of bariatric programs push low-carb/keto, and you'll find a LOT of proponents here for it.

I get what most people recognize as the "carb flu" but instead of being over in 3-5 days like most people, I stay in that miserable state and it doesn't seem to ever resolve. Granted, I've never been able to last more than 2 weeks in ketosis (and that was post-op) but it definitely seems that my body hates it. So I have to find what works for me, and so far that's complex carbs in the 80-100g/day range. We'll see if it works long term, I may have to tweak that.

That was exactly what I was feeling. The "carb flu." I would rather avoid it if possible.

Sent from my iPhone

Sent from my iPhone

That was exactly what I was feeling. The "carb flu." I would rather avoid it if possible.

Sent from my iPhone

Most people get over it in just a few days, so it's worth it to them. At this point we don't know if I would EVER get over it. So I am going down a different path, and my surgeon is cool with it.

Personally I had to eat oatmeal LOTS!! I had strictures and I was very limited in what I could eat or drink without vomiting. Also did your Dr say KETONESn or Keto because Keto is higher fat low carbs and Protein. It helps our bodies burn the fat instead of burning simple carbs. Ketosis is what is dangerous because Diabetic's throw ketones when their blood sugars are high. It over works the liver.

(putting nurse educator hat on)

just wanted to clarify this.

Ketosis or ketogenesis (sometimes called keto) is the state when you are eating low carbs (generally below 50g/day) and your body starts using protein and fat as fuel instead of carbs (sugar). You do not have to eat high fat to be in ketosis. This condition is not dangerous to most people, and in fact there is a large number in the medical community who think this is the best state to stay in, unless you have a medical condition that makes it a problem.

You can "burn fat" without being in ketosis, many of us do. I get very ill in ketosis, and generally am eating between 80 and 100g of carbs a day. I'm losing weight and the SECA scan shows that most of it is fat tissue.

Ketoacidosis or diabetic ketoacidosis (DKA) is the condition diabetics move into when their sugars get too high, and it is life threatening. DKA happens mostly in Type 1 diabetics. Generally speaking, people without diabetes cannot get to DKA just by eating low carb.

You will show ketones in your urine for both ketosis and ketoacidosis. The levels indicate how far along you are toward ketoacidosis.

Here's some more information

http://www.healthline.com/health/ketosis-vs-ketoacidosis#Diagnosis7

It's confusing because all of these words sound the same, but it's important to understand the distinction, especially if you want to be on a ketogenic diet.

My husband is Type 2 and he throws Ketones a lot. His blood sugar wasn't that high when it happened. When he went to bed before me and I opened the door to our bedroom I could smell them real bad!! I understand what you wrote (nurse's hat) I just don't write as well as you. Thank you for clearing it up tho.

The regret question assumes either a yes or no answer, but for me there are things I regret about having the surgery and things that I don't regret. I had the sleeve surgery on 7/29 and ended up in hospital a little over 3 weeks later with a leak. I was seriously ill and had to have infections drained. I was not allowed to eat or drink anything and was put on liquid nutrition delivered through a pic line. I also had antibiotics delivered through a second port to fight the infections. I was in hospital for 10 days and then a few weeks later for another 3 days. I missed 2 months of work, and had a nurse coming into my home to take blood, change dressings, etc. I had a stent placed in my esophagus going down into my stomach to 'seal up' the hole. The stent made me even sicker and I was throwing up all the time. There were times when I was not sure I would survive.

But I did survive, and today I have no infection, no stent, no home healthcare, am back to work and am down 51 pounds.

I have been asked by family members if I regret having the surgery. I feel like it is a moot point. I DID have the surgery, and thankfully I survived a serious complication. I can regret it all I want, but it won't change the facts.

I don't like having to think about what I am going to eat all the time; worrying about whether I have gotten enough Protein or liquids. I don't like not being able to eat an entire cheeseburger or drink half a glass of ice Water in one go. I am still experimenting with what I can and cannot eat and how much of something I can eat.

I did not realize, despite a lot of research, how completely my relationship with food would change. I don't like having to make a major attitude adjustment about how good times and good food go together. There are a lot of things about having this surgery that, even though I did a lot of research, are very different in reality because it is now my reality. When it is personal then it becomes real.

All that said, and even with the serious medical problems I encountered post-op, there is no way in the world I could be at the weight I am now if I had not had the surgery. I am really happy to be losing weight and know that I would not have been able to do it with this 'tool'. The sleeve is forcing me to redefine my relationship with food. Two of the girls I work with eat all day long. Little Snacks all day long and then they have a light lunch. Neither has ever had weight loss surgery and they are both slim. Now I eat like they do, not out of choice (like them), but due to necessity. The sleeve is forcing me into new habits, which is what I expected, but I did not know how much I would miss eating like I did before.

November 29th will be 4 months and I was pretty sick for 2.5 of those months (during which I did lose weight). I agree with the comment that society focuses too much on how we look, but that was a big part of why I decided to have the surgery and I am sure it is for others, too. Yes, health is also a big part of the decision, but looking at yourself in the mirror and hating how you look is not good for your ongoing mental health which, as we now know, effects our physical health.

The bottom line for me is that I can regret it all I want, but it won't change a thing and I am really happy to be losing weight.

I will honestly say I don't regret it for a single second! The beginning was rough but it got better as each day went by. I am down 35 pounds and I feel amazing!

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

Do you get full when u eat or do u stop at you portion size?

I regret having surgery. I'm one month out from being sleeved and I still have nausea every single day. The doctor doesn't know what's wrong. All they've done so far over several phone calls and office visits are labs and fluids though. I don't have any pain that would indicate a leak, I've had my gallbladder out years ago, and I don't have symptoms of a stricture. I wonder if there could be something tiny going on that isn't showing symptoms but nausea but they won't hear of it. I take two different anti nausea meds every day and they don't get rid of the issue but help it enough so I don't feel like vomiting nearly as bad. I honestly think I'm dying. This surgery was the worst decision i could have ever made.

I regret having surgery. I'm one month out from being sleeved and I still have nausea every single day. The doctor doesn't know what's wrong. All they've done so far over several phone calls and office visits are labs and fluids though. I don't have any pain that would indicate a leak, I've had my gallbladder out years ago, and I don't have symptoms of a stricture. I wonder if there could be something tiny going on that isn't showing symptoms but nausea but they won't hear of it. I take two different anti nausea meds every day and they don't get rid of the issue but help it enough so I don't feel like vomiting nearly as bad. I honestly think I'm dying. This surgery was the worst decision i could have ever made.

Gosh that just doesn't sound good. Is it possible for you to go to another doctor or clinic to get a second opinion? It really does sound like something is amiss. Are you able to eat anything?

I am struggling something fierce and I seriously regret having surgery.

Yes I do very much so my husband also had bypass 5 weeks after me and he regrets it as well

Sent from my LGLS992 using the BariatricPal App

May I ask why do you regret it? I'm pre-op and scared I'm going to have these regrets

Sent from my LGLS675 using the BariatricPal App

Be careful--- and please don't take a few peoples regrets or "buyers remorse" as the status quo. Most of us who've had surgery are SO very thankful, have been extremely successful and would do it again and again if that was what was needed.

Yes, some people have complications. That happens with ANY procedure. Nothing is 100%. Those people are usually the loudest and can easily drown out the ones who are content.

The best thing you can do is BE PREPARED. Know what lay ahead, be willing to do the work, and make needed changes to your lifestyle. Don't expect this to be an "easy out"- it isn't. But it does become easier and easier rather quickly, to the point that you no longer see yourself as a bariatric patient, rather, a new "normal" for you.

Good luck on your journey!!! There is a lot of support here to be had...and remember: preparedness is KEY. KNOWLEDGE is essential. If you are not getting enough info from your team, RESEARCH!

I've had my sleeve for 4 days now. I had a bad gassy reaction to a Protein shake that gave me serious regrets about the surgery. That lasted for about 3 hours, then I was back to normal (or at least the new version of normal).

I've had a few pangs of regret since, mostly food jealousy when I see normal people eating foods that I love. But overall, I'm happy with my decision. I'm feeling positive about the future. I'm sticking to the nutrition plan strictly because that's what works for me, no compromise. I guess the hardest thing right now is having a bit of cabin fever with the recovery phase. I want to get back to the gym, I want to get back to work.

This will soon pass, I know. I'm just impatient, I've been waiting 30+ years to be successful at losing weight!

Stay strong everyone.

Gosh that just doesn't sound good. Is it possible for you to go to another doctor or clinic to get a second opinion? It really does sound like something is amiss. Are you able to eat anything?

I don't know who else to go to. This is supposedly a center of excellence and I know of no other places who do these surgeries in the area. I've thought of just going to the closest ER to me and see what they do.

I only eat when I feel for sure hungry. That's no more than once a day usually. A teaspoon or two at a time. When I went into the doctor this week he told me to focus on hydration and not eating. I'm going back to work on Monday and don't see how I'm going to have energy with no food.

I'm going to leave a message with the doctor today and see what they say.

I don't know who else to go to. This is supposedly a center of excellence and I know of no other places who do these surgeries in the area. I've thought of just going to the closest ER to me and see what they do.

I only eat when I feel for sure hungry. That's no more than once a day usually. A teaspoon or two at a time. When I went into the doctor this week he told me to focus on hydration and not eating. I'm going back to work on Monday and don't see how I'm going to have energy with no food.< /p>

I'm going to leave a message with the doctor today and see what they say.

@@HisMrsWright Have you tried going back to clear Liquid Protein to get yourself hydrated and some nutrients into your body? I don't know where you are on your diet or where you're supposed to be on your plan at 4 weeks, but I had quite a lot of nausea as I advanced my diet in the first 8 weeks or so...backing off helped get it under control more than once.