Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Why did you decide to go with the sleeve?

Hello,

I'm new here and I'm going to my first seminar next week to get info and find out more about my options. I have a question, how did you decide on getting the sleeve? Did your Dr suggest it or did you do research and decided that would suit you best?

Thank you for your time!

From my own research while deciding on surgery at all, the sleeve just seemed like the best fit. I kept an open mind though, when speaking to my surgeon and his team to see what his thoughts were. This is what I learned:

1. The band is not something that is preformed too often anymore; at least, not in my bariatric center. It is also not covered by my health insurance (CDPHP). So, that particular procedure was not an option for me.

2. I'm not "obese enough" for bypass (the nurse practitioner's words, not mine - I've never been told I'm not fat enough for anything, HA!) I am not diabetic, do not have a high BP or cholesterol. These factors played into my surgeon's decision to do the sleeve versus any of the other options.

This is just something that is specific for me, and could vary from person to person. For me, the sleeve was my choice and I was happy my surgeon was also on board. I have friends who have had successful sleeves, and I'm excited for my own!! :)

Also, welcome!

ETA: Words are hard..

Edited by recreatingcate

I recently posted this reply on a similar thread.....

I chose sleeve six years ago when it was still considered experimental in the US. My choice was based on my daughter's advice and recommendation. She is a gastroenterologist and did not want me to risk all the long term complications and nutritional deficiencies she sees in bypass patients. Lapband was out of the question because of the damage it causes long term. I realized, of course, as a doctor, she's really only seeing the patients with problems, not the happy, healthy ones with no issues. But the fact that she was willing to send me to Mexico for a VSG rather than have bypass or Lapband paid for by insurance here in the states was a good enough reason for me.

BTW, I lost and am maintaining over 100% EWL with perfect bloodwork and no negative side effects, so I guess she knew what was best for her mom. I saw successes and failures with all types of surgeries in my support group, so unless you have pre existing medical/health problems that would influence the outcome of the surgery, I don't think it matters which procedure you choose. It matters more what you do with it afterwards. Good luck!

Edited by Dairymary

I got the sleeve on Nov 9th I researched my options for 2yrs..struggled with my wait for 20..My doctor made suggestion ..mostly bypass but I o me that was a little to invasive for me..sleeve gives my that gradual weight lost without detaching my intestines or a clap..I have no regrets..this site has been good also by being honest with the pain, struggles and accomplishments..I'm grate for everyone who share their story

Sent from my SM-N920P using the BariatricPal App

I began researching bariatric surgery when a friend made an off the cuff remark about how if she couldn't lose 100lbs by her birthday, she was going to "get the gastric surgery".

I was vaguely familiar with all bands and bypasses from the various Hollywood stars who have lost a dramatic amount of weight, but I assumed it was for rich people.

I began researching the procedures more and came across sites offering the surgeries in Mexico.

Even as a disinterested non-patient I have heard stories of lawsuits about lapbands made of substandard materials, slipping, plus lack of access to a bariatric centre to make the seemingly endless adjustments requiredz

From my reading, the bypass had more risk inherently because it is a more involved procedure. I was uncomfortable with the idea of rerouting my intestines because of absorption issues and lifetime commitments to supplements to overcome that.

I was a good candidate for a sleeve because my eating issue was always as a volume eater and not a grazer. I also don't have heartburn issues and was BMI 36 going into preop. All of these things contributed to my choosing the sleeve.

I was uncomfortable with the idea of rerouting my intestines because of absorption issues and lifetime commitments to supplements to overcome that..

You still have to take supplements with VSG. 90% of gastrectomy patients will develop deficiencies without proper vitamin/mineral supplements. In general, a good Multivitamin, extra Vitamin D, Calcium, Iron and sublingual or injectable B12 (we can no longer absorb B12 after VSG). You should be getting bloodwork done at least annually and adjust your Vitamin regimen accordingly.

Thank you for all your replies! It is very useful and gave me things to think about. I have GERD so would a sleeve be an issue?

Yes, this is some evidence that the sleeve is harder for people with GERD, but I do know some people with GERD have the sleeve anyway. Maybe it depends on severity??

I choose the sleeve for the same reasons everyone else mentions, I was barely BMI 40 with no other health issues. The idea of being under anesthesia much less time appealed to me.

My first surgeon's visit he asked me what I thought I want, I said sleeve, he said good choice. Had my surgery on Halloween and very happy!

I chose sleeve because due to my medical history and some medications I take, my chance of ulcers would up significantly if I went with the bypass. (still pre-op though!)

Thank you for all your replies! It is very useful and gave me things to think about. I have GERD so would a sleeve be an issue?

Yes. I had Gerd before, surgeon did give me the choice between sleeve or bypass (how much you weigh isn't really a factor in getting a bypass), but still decided on the sleeve. GERD is pretty severe, but take medication and is controlled pretty well. No regrets.

Yes, this is some evidence that the sleeve is harder for people with GERD, but I do know some people with GERD have the sleeve anyway. Maybe it depends on severity??

I choose the sleeve for the same reasons everyone else mentions, I was barely BMI 40 with no other health issues. The idea of being under anesthesia much less time appealed to me.

My first surgeon's visit he asked me what I thought I want, I said sleeve, he said good choice. Had my surgery on Halloween and very happy!

That's good, good for you! :) How long did you have to wait before you had surgery?

Yes. I had Gerd before, surgeon did give me the choice between sleeve or bypass (how much you weigh isn't really a factor in getting a bypass), but still decided on the sleeve. GERD is pretty severe, but take medication and is controlled pretty well. No regrets.

Good info, thank you

I'm a lap band to bypass revision. I studied sleeve versus bypass and I prefer the malabsorption, the sleeve looked to me to have too large a pouch and I need the restrictions the bypass offers. Good luck on your upcoming surgery.

Sent from my SM-G550T1 using the BariatricPal App

I was uncomfortable with the idea of rerouting my intestines because of absorption issues and lifetime commitments to supplements to overcome that..

You still have to take supplements with VSG. 90% of gastrectomy patients will develop deficiencies without proper vitamin/mineral supplements. In general, a good Multivitamin, extra Vitamin D, Calcium, Iron and sublingual or injectable B12 (we can no longer absorb B12 after VSG). You should be getting bloodwork done at least annually and adjust your Vitamin regimen accordingly.

The most prevalent vitamin deficiency I've seen in the scientific literature is Vitamin D. Somewhere in the order of 80% of patients are Vitamin D deficient following surgery. Vitamin D deficiency is also common in populations who haven't had any kind of bariatric surgery, so it's not totally clear what percentage of deficiency can be attributed directly to the procedure.

As far as vitamin B deficiency, in order to absorb vitamin b complex, you must have Intrinsic Factor, which is produced in the stomach. VSG removes some of the ability to produce IF and thus absorb some b vitamin, but not all. RNY bypasses totally the part of the stomach that creates IF, hence the absolute necessity to supplement.

Studies show that typically less than 20% of VSG patients will develop vitamin B deficiency. Iron and folate deficiency present in relatively small numbers as well, compared to RNY. Metformin appears to aggravate vitamin B deficiency.

The key is getting blood work, as there's no one size fits all solution. I liked my odds better with the VSG, and i already take a pretty broad range of supplements. I am currently taking b12 injections because I'm not able to introduce a wider range of meats back into my diet for a few more weeks.