Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What is with the trolls on this site? People who do nothing but attack others. This site is proving to be a negative to others trying to get help. It is not "keeping it real" to call people idiots, slackers and lazy. I mean do people need this much attention to attack people with their little fake names? Overweight people have had ENOUGH name calling and negativity. I am going to start a positivity page on FB and will give the link. Yes people screw up. Sometimes big time. And it takes courage and guts to admit it. It takes no courage to brag about how much you are better and smarter and more wonderful at having a sleeve. PS I am a drug and alcohol counselor so my page will be about positive reinforcement. Lashing out at someone DOES NOTHING BUT STROKE YOUR OWN EGO. I can't believe there is no one admining this site. I hope the trolls get their little fix when they drive everyone away from this community.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

What is it with people having to start threads about not liking other people's opinions on a public forum?

Get over yourself, will ya?

Oh and pro tip: There's a difference between "Oopsie Daisy! I ate a cookie!" and "Yeah I just scarfed down a grilled cheese sandwich 4 days post op and boy is my tum tum sore!"

There's a life and death difference. And if you can't handle a little tough love to try to make people understand that they could DIE, then there is seriously something wrong with you.

All your doing is being a cowardly jerk hiding behind a computer telling people off and scaring them from being honest. I guess this is a site where everyone lies and says how perfect their journey is or they will be attacked by bullies. A lot of people got the point across that it could hurt him without being an obnoxious ass. Get over yourself and stop trolling.

What is with the trolls on this site? People who do nothing but attack others. This site is proving to be a negative to others trying to get help. It is not "keeping it real" to call people idiots, slackers and lazy. I mean do people need this much attention to attack people with their little fake names? Overweight people have had ENOUGH name calling and negativity. I am going to start a positivity page on FB and will give the link. Yes people screw up. Sometimes big time. And it takes courage and guts to admit it. It takes no courage to brag about how much you are better and smarter and more wonderful at having a sleeve. PS I am a drug and alcohol counselor so my page will be about positive reinforcement. Lashing out at someone DOES NOTHING BUT STROKE YOUR OWN EGO. I can't believe there is no one admining this site. I hope the trolls get their little fix when they drive everyone away from this community.

Yes. I see how positive and supportive you are. You are a drug and alcohol counselor yet this is how you behave? This is the language you use?

WOW.

What's that phrase about a pot and a kettle?

It seemed to me that there was some tough love being given, as the tone of the original post was head scratching in its humour. Concerned people wanted to make sure the gravity of the situation was understood. Though maybe it could have been done more gently, we're all adults. The poster's reaction was defensive and attacking. This in turn will breed more emotions.

If I do something harmful to my health and mention it here, I HOPE someone gives me some tough love even if it doesn't feel well intentioned in the moment.

What's even funnier about this? The OP of that thread private messaged me and we had a pleasant exchange. It seems to me that some people like to fight other people's battles where no battle exists.

Or, they just like to try to pick a fight. ;)

I agree with one point she made, though. We definitely need an admin in here. Her behavior more than warrants it.

All your doing is being a cowardly jerk hiding behind a computer telling people off and scaring them from being honest. I guess this is a site where everyone lies and says how perfect their journey is or they will be attacked by bullies. A lot of people got the point across that it could hurt him without being an obnoxious ass. Get over yourself and stop trolling.

Yes. I see how positive and supportive you are. You are a drug and alcohol counselor yet this is how you behave? This is the language you use?

WOW.

What's that phrase about a pot and a kettle?

Well, wait a minute. Her posts you quoted almost look like....trolling? But that's impossible! She just stated she's a big advocate for positive reinforcement!

Also, as someone who has been involved in 12 Step programs my entire life, NO drug and alcohol counselor enables dangerous behavior. When a heroin attic comes to you who has relapsed, do you tell them "That's okay! Everyone makes mistakes!"

So when someone you counsel falls off of the wagon, do you coddle them or do you get tough real quick? We found out about five years ago that my dad had a 20-year pill addiction. My family didn't coddle him. We got him in rehab and we have ridden his ass every since.

In my opinion, one of two things will happen to all of these people who have no control with food consumption. In the best case, they will lose a handful of pounds while the sleeve makes it impossible not to do so. Then, they gain it all back because they never re-established their relationship with food. In the worst case, they'll have significant health problems (that could lead to death) because their refusal to stop eating inappropriate foods will cause a leak or worse.

It is just food. Seriously.

Edited by blizair09

It's always amusing when the apparent definition of Troll amounts to "someone whose opinion is different than mine, and therefore the ability to express that opinion must be stopped!"

Lady, you must be new to the Internet; there's no one here even close to being anything like a Troll. I can point you to other sites full of actual trolls if you like...

"When all is said and done, usually more has been said than done. "

To be honest I don't understand what all the big fuss is about, I replied to the OP in earnest and asked why he did something so dangerous and then posted it in a joking tone and even though I wanted to call him some choice names at the time I refrained from doing so. My surgery is on Dec 5 and if I do something so stupid and life threatening I sure hope someone hands me some tough love rather than coddles me.

Trolls are people (or bots) who will post anything, often outrageous, to provoke a negative reaction from most people for the sake of bickering. People who take great pleasure in ruling people up for entertainment.

I haven't seen many posts here that meet that definition. I see lots of people who ask for advice when what they want is validation. They ask for opinions when they only want opinions that align with their own.

So why not say "I did _______ against my doctor's orders and I just want people to tell me that it's okay not to follow sound medical advice and tell me I am fine, even if it's not true."

What a bunch of. I hardly name called. I said his choice was idiotic. Super dangerous actually. Can't handle someone being straight then think before you post.

Sent from my iPad using the BariatricPal App

@@WLSResources/ClothingExch That made me laugh out loud...now I have to go and think of movie titles that would be appropriate names for topics here! I LOVE a challenge!!!

I thought this thread was about the movie as well. Hehehehehe

I am 12 days post op. I struggle to get my Protein shakes, Water, and a few bites of yogurt or Jello in each day. If I consume too much too quickly I feel ill immediately. Sure, a grilled cheese sandwich sounds delicious right now but I can't even imagine forcing down one swallow.

My surgery went fine. I am feeling great. I just wonder how in the world someone would feel well enough 4 days post op to choke down half a sandwich??

I visited 2 surgeons before deciding which one to use. Both said the only time they have EVER had a person get a leak was when they ate something they weren't supposed to eat. One guy ate BBQ a week out. A leak can kill you, are at least land you in the hospital for weeks.

I have to wonder if people just don't understand what the surgery entailed inside their body? I just imagine the line of staples in my stomach and food oozing out between them and free floating food in my body cavity and that is enough for me to not even consider it.

Seriously, it takes me like an hour or more to get a Protein shake down. A half sandwich? I can't even............

@@WLSResources/ClothingExch That made me laugh out loud...now I have to go and think of movie titles that would be appropriate names for topics here! I LOVE a challenge!!!

I nominate "But I'm a Cheerleader" for all those who want to endorse and thus encourage dangerous behaviour for fear of hurt feelings!

(If you haven't seen that movie, it's pretty entertaining.)