Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

sugar too low post op

I'm about 8 weeks out now, I've been following my surgeon's and Nut's instructions and diet. Recently I have been feeling a little shaky and light headed in the mornings and my dad is diabetic and he thought it could be my sugar. He checked it for me and my sugar was 48. My dad said that was pretty low and I had some orange juice and felt better. I know I'm supposed to be watching my sugar intake but I had no issues with diabetes and sugar levels before surgery. Anyone else start having these types of issues post surgery?

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

I feel like that now and I am pre op on the liquid diet

I'm diabetic already and it's drastically improved sine surgery two weeks ago...

Lows are common but some ppl do develop hypoglycemia after sleeve as a complication

Definitely talk to your NUT about it but eating a few light carbs can help or slow burning carbs like Beans and peas etc. I'm using Melba toast or wasa crackers with My tuna and hummus, fills me up, keeps me satisfied and not feeling so dizzy and hypo like I was when I was doing Protein only.

Definitely check your blood sugar especially if you feel symptoms and if you're scared of oh they have these not so great tasting glucose tablet chewables you can buy at the drug store for a few bucks in different flavors and they boost your glucose up quickly

I haven't started my liquid pre-op yet, but I am worried about my sugar going too low. It's beet too high for too long, but the "too low" sugar scares me more. I will make sure I have my glucose monitor with me and check it regularly, especially during this time.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using the BariatricPal App

I haven't started my liquid pre-op yet, but I am worried about my sugar going too low. It's beet too high for too long, but the "too low" sugar scares me more. I will make sure I have my glucose monitor with me and check it regularly, especially during this time.

the hypoglycemic complication is not very common statistically which is good

That being said, I hve to eat every 2.5-3 hours or I start getting hypo symptoms and fast. Now that I added a few easy carbs, I'm doing better.

I'm having to check my sugars 5-6 times a day especially since I'm still on a dose of long acting insulin but I'm off three of my four diabetes meds and I was sleeved the 24th of October!! Sugars are awesome!

Hypoglycemia is one of the reasons I cannot do super low carb, it is not unusual for me to read in the 40's or 50's. However, carbs do not have to include sugar and other "fast" carbs. Once you get super low, you need something fast to bring it back up (OJ is a very commonly used one), but keeping it level is the real goal.

For meal planning, complex carbs are better for both weight loss and balancing out blood sugars, and balance the blood sugars better when eaten with Protein. It should not be necessary to eat a huge amount of carbs in order to keep it balanced. http://www.livestrong.com/article/27398-list-complex-carbohydrates-foods/

However, low blood sugar isn't a terribly common complication. You'll want to talk to your doc about it, there may be other things they need to test for.

I am dizzy all the time now. I feel like i am going to faint

that's not good..are you getting your fluids in? Dehydration can do that

You should consult your doctor to check glucose and blood pressure

Made a huge difference for me to consult NUT who told me eat ever two to two.five hours and now I'm drinking a smartwater with electrolytes too daily pkus added in light and complex carbs

Also have them check your hemoglobin. I am severely anemic and these are things I experience when my Iron is really low.

I go to Nut the 15th. Yes it is hard to get Fluid in. But i am trying to be more aware

I used to take my metformin at night to avoid the side effects and by the morning, I would be having nightmares or waking up, shaking from hypoglycaemia. I switched it to mid day and started having one of my Protein shakes before bedtime. My blood sugar doesn't drop too much these days during the day either.

I used to take my metformin at night to avoid the side effects and by the morning, I would be having nightmares or waking up, shaking from hypoglycaemia. I switched it to mid day and started having one of my Protein Shakes before bedtime. My blood sugar doesn't drop too much these days during the day either.

you might want to ask ur doc about metformin or glucophage xr..it's the extended release so it's in your blood slower. It stopped all of the nasty side effects for me. Only problem is it's a horse pills if you're on 1000! Since my surgery, I'm off of it as well as januvea, and humalog shots. I'm only taking long acting insulin lantus for diabetes right out of the hospital!! Amazing miraculous

I got off my Metformin and Glipizide almost immediately after surgery, although thry gave me a few shots of insulin in the hospital. My endocrinologist told me that I don't need to take Metformin unlessmy sugar reaches 150. So far, so good! No diabetes meds for a few days now! I can't remember the last time my fasting sugar was in the 120's. I know that's still a bit high, but it's so much better than where I was!