Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Did some research and called Inamed

Hi Everyone,

I did some research regarding my previous post about esophageal achalasia.

The radiologist detected this problem when I had my last fill on Friday. For those who dont know what this means, it is lack of esophagus function in one or more areas of the esophagus. For the general unbanded population, this is a rare disorder usually found in only 2 in 200,000 folks and usually found in geriatric patients. Some of them have trouble swallowing, since their esophagus loses sensation.

According to Inamed, for banded folks who have tight fills, achalasia could cause reflux, gastritis and numerous other issues. To some extent, folks who have a really tight fill could be causing their own achalasia and the only way to resolve it would be to have a partial unfill.

In my case, I do not have any symptoms and it was noticed when I had a barium swallow that the barium was pooling a really long time in my esophagus and one part of my esophagus was not pushing the barium through at all.

According to Inamed, I shouldnt worry about it unless my doc thinks it would affect my band in some way. I was more worried about erosion which would be bad. I dont PB, barf or have reflux, so I think I should be OK. If I exhibit any of these signs, I will get an unfill. I dont want to do permanent damage to my esophagus. Most people who have achalasia who are not banded would have to resort to surgery or Botox injections. It is possible that I had this issue prior to lapband surgery, but I find this to be unlikely.

I emailed my doc asking what he thinks we should do. I have not heard back from him yet, but I think it would be good to have an EGD done at some stage just to make sure that there are no other issues. I am a smoker and just want to be sure that there is nothing else going on in my esophagus.

I bring this up because I believe that we should all be aware of cause and effect. If you have any symptoms of reflux, gastritis or lack of swallowing sensation, you need to take immediate action. I also think it is advisable to have an EGD (endoscopy of the throat) at least once a year to check everything in there. Just my thoughts....

Babs in TX

334/188/170

6/23/03

Good idea, Babs. Like you, I've never been plagued with the pb'ing issue either. I am more likely to stretch my pouch, due to the LACK of this problem. :)

My doctor told me to come back in January or February since I have not been able to go off Nexium. I get pain if I stop it. I think there is a problem of some sort in my esophagus. I don't have a fill, so it may be that my band has always been too tight a fit for my fat stomach. Doc is taking my complaints a little more seriously now, but thinks I might be just eating too much. I hope he does a test after I see him. I'm going to try going off Nexium after Christmas.

That's interesting information to have, since I have some trouble swallowing when I don't take Nexium. Thanks for the info, Babs.

This is fascinating, Babs, thanks so much! It's not surprising that the existence of a small silicone band around a part of our anatomy should have an effect. Let's hope we find out these are minor changes that don't matter any more than a small scar on our skin does.

wow babs...that sounds good atleast. i missed your earlier post and went back and read it...i am SO GLAD i read this before i read the other post.

when i had reflux i got a partial unfill. because like you it scared the shit out of me. i havent had an egd but need to figure out how i can get one and have it billed as something else...or else i have to pay cash up front.

how is your restriction going?

any news on the trip out here in january?

Hi Michelle,

No news on my trip yet. I was thinking about January 11th. Waiting for my client to tell me what they want to do as far as a date.

As far as restriction, I feel like I have less than when I went on Friday. Just had some low carb Pasta with some turkey sausage. THen I went on to eat 8 tortilla chips right after dinner.! So no, I am not feeling this increase in restriction. This happened the last time as well though. It took two weeks before it finally hit. So I am gonna wait and see patiently.

Babs in TX