Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Anyone else out there with NO Fill

Good Morning,

I have been banded since February 2006 with moderate success but many small complications. Basically, my surgeon now believes that I cannot tolerate any fill at all. I have a 4cc band and have never had any fill above 1.5cc- that only lasted a week and ended up with me being hospitalized for dehydration.

I had .5cc for the past few months and have nothing but problems eating. I have never found the "sweet spot" and basically struggle to get anything down that is not mushy. So, today I had the band emptied and am hoping to just continue on w/o any fill.

So, is there anyone else out there who has been successful with no fill? My surgeon said that recent studies are showing that 20% of bandsters have enough restriction with just the band. I don't have any sources- this is just what he told me.

Thanks for any insight that any of you may have. I feel like I have been on a fill/unfill roller coaster and I'm looking forward to eating REAL food in smaller portions instead of trying to force the mushie of the day down.

Julie

Hi Julie,

I was diagnosed with Barretts Es back in 2005 so from that time on I have been without a fill. I found out this March that i have no signs of Barretts and am fine and can get a fill but each time i did i could not go past 1 because the restriction was to intense. I am happy to say with out the fill i still have restriction and follow the guidlines or at least my band will tell me when i don't.

How do you fill with out the fill? Do you have any restrictions?

Mary

I have read some posts that people get the band and their weight loss is good so they have decided not to have a fill. I am sorry I can't refrence them at this time but I will do some digging and see if I can find the posts I read. To summarize what I can remember, some people feel that they have enough restriction with the band unfilled that they continue weight loss with out a fill. Keep in mind too that some people heal faster than others. If you feel comfortable with no fill that is okay! I am sure that in time you will feel that it is time for you to have a fill. In my case, I was worried that I would not know when to have it filled. Let me tell you though, I am now counting down the days until my first fill, It can't come soon enough. Don't get discouraged, if you have restriction still, which it sounds like you do than all you may have needed was the band itself and you could be at your "sweet spot." Hey since I am a self pay, I don't think I would have minded not having to go get a fill. Just listen to your body and it will clue you in. Have you tried eating normal food in super small bites and chewing it really well?

Thanks for the responses!

Mary: Yes, I have some restriction without a fill but have to be careful b/c I can eat more than a bandster should if I'm not careful. What I find when I had fills (even just .2cc at one point) is that I can't eat at all in the morning, can barely tolerate lunch, and then PB or can barely eat dinner unless it's very specific mushy foods. I have decided that it is not a way I want to live and I wasn't really losing weight anyway b/c I was overeating on liquids. I feel better already eating smaller portions of REAL food.

mbanja: Thanks for your input too. I have been banded for 1.5 years so I am all healed up. My surgeon just believes that I don't tolerate the fills based on my experiences this past year. I have been eating real food and chewing well and things are going down fine. It's such a relief to me.

Julie

I have been banded for 1 1/2 yrs. had 1 slip. got it fixed. have lost 60 pds total..i have had fills and unfills. I am unfilled at this time frame.

I am going to stay unfilled until I start to gain weight, if I do. I either get to tight of a till or not enough.. I had a bad cold that is why I got unfilled last month.. I could not kick the cold and kept bringing up all my foods at night time. I have already paid for one slip out of my pocket. my bust on my part and I learned a hard lesson on banding.. Eat slowly and chew

so I didn't know you can have restriction with just the band itself. Now I know and I am going to see how long I can go unfilled...

3/27/06

Dr. Lopez

62" 178/120/118 current weight 1 yr.. thanks to all for their input

HELPS ME OUT a great deal

diane in IB Ca

i have only been banded sinced july 16 and my surgeon told me if i am losing 5 lbs. a month he will not give me a fill. i have the smallest band and as long as i have restriction, why bother with a fill. i go to the dr. this coming wednesday and will see what i have lost since the last time i was there in august. it has been about 5 weeks and he said if i have lost 5-7 he will not give me a fill. he says it can cause more problems with vomiting and other things. i am going to try to continue without a fill. i am afraid of side effects of the fill and dont have time to feel lousy as I am a music teacher to 5th and 6th graders and cannot be grouchy!!

Your Dr. Sounds like he knows what he is saying. Stick with the unfill

Most people average weight loss with fills are 7- 10 pds.. IF you can loose without a fill...WHY NOT

good luck

Diane in San Diego

Julie,

I had my surgery Nov. 10, 2005 and I lost 109-111 lbs. in 8 months with no fill. I weighed 251 lbs. and I go between 140-143 lbs. Everyone thinks that I am absolutely crazy when I say that the band is just a helpful tool and it still has to be up to the individual to lose the weight. We truly have to make it up in our mind first that we will finally succeed this time and not fail our life long, change of life journey.

I have become crazed with staying physically fit now. I do cardio 3 times a weeks and I am also with a weight trainer 3 times a week also. I can't believe I am starting to myself tone up. I love seeing the veins in my arms and the somewhat bulge in my thigh from a muscle.

I quit smoking December 25, 2006 and I feel SOOOO healthy. I went from a size 22 to a size 4-6. I am almost 5'7" and I am 42 years old and have never felt better.

I will say though that I will NEVER trust myself with my food ADDICTION and that is Fast food. I haven't eaten that since Nov. 2005 but the smell of it still gets to me. It is like someones alcohol or someones chocolate. If I ever start back to my old ways though I know that as long as I have this band I can always go to my doctor and get a fill if needed. I didn't need it during my weight loss journey. I have maintained my weight loss for over a year now and that was July 25, 2006. The opportunity is there for me though if it is needed.

You CAN lose the weight without a fill, it is possible. Strive for healthy foods and you will be on the right track. You need to believe in yourself, the power of positive thinking. To be honest with you, I have never even gotten sick and I can eat any kind of Lettuce or spinach and any kind of meat imaginable. I have never PB'd, thrown up, or anything.

Good Luck Julie, YOU CAN DO IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Josephine

JOsephine,

you have done great! what is your secret? what do you usually eat each day. do tell. you are where i hope to be eventually.

Julie