Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I'm struggling, a lot.

I had a revision from a VBG/SR from 16 years ago. Back then I lost 90 pounds and kept it off about 4 years. This time (surgery was 10/24) I had RNY and am down 27 pounds as of Monday. I had the RNY because my silastic ring from my previous surgery was migrating upward and causing choking issues. I wasn't in the best frame of mind and definitely not the best health this time around. I mainly have head hunger. I was sent home with a fork - tender diet. I've definitely been cheating (i.e. had a fun - sized bag of Cheetoes, had a piece of Halloween candy less than 5 grams) so I bought baked Cheetoes and sugar free hard candy trying to curb this. I feel like I'm failing before I start. I have really bad fibro and am extremely exhausted almost every day. I lost my insurance Nov 1st. I am working on that. I go to a support group once a month, but they don't want to be friends really. I need more than a monthly meeting. Help?

Sent from my SM-N900T using the BariatricPal App

Here's the thing. The more junk you eat like that, the more you will crave it.

What foods are actually on the diet the doctor gave you? The best thing you can do for yourself is follow the plan. If the first surgery failed in the end and now you have a second chance, I would ask why you are self sabbotaging?

You need to talk with a therapist or I am afraid you will be right back where you started.

By the way, neither of those foods are on a fork tender diet and sugar and simple carbs will only make you crave them more. I literally have to go through a detox after indulging.....go back to the plan.

The other thing is you have a short period of time (honeymoon) period when you can pretty much do anything and you will still lose weight. If you dont leverage that time to begin eating healthy and exercising by the time it wears off, you will start gaining again. There are posts all over this board as well as others about what happens when you don't follow the plan.

The surgery is about 10% of weight loss, the head game is the other 90%. You need to change your behaviors for good.

The first surgery didn't fail, I did after about 4 years of keeping off 90 pounds. I wasn't planning this surgery, I was kind of thrown into it due to the choking issues from the previous surgery. I'm not saying I don't need/want to lose weight, just wasn't ready for WLS when this all came rushing into my life. Idk what to do to replace my stress relief when I'm so tired and in pain all the time. Sixteen years ago I was walking every day... Hell, I was jogging! Right now I can barely drive I get so tired. I don't want to sabotage, I just get a craving for crunchy. Also... nothing bothers my stomach.... nothing. Haven't gotten sick, nauseated, pain.... nothing since I got home from the hospital. I have watched my sugars closely so I don't dump and been trying to get in my Protein. I'm not totally rogue, but I don't think it would be that far off either.

It is common to crave crunchy foods after RNY gastric bypass surgery. This is because your body craves chewing. As you eat, chewing triggers a release of digestive fluids that aid digestion. But if your surgery was 10/24 you are way too early to make this transition. You want to give your stomach time to heal. My meal plan placed me on full liquids for the first four weeks, pureed food for the next 4 and only when I reached week 9 was I allowed solid foods.

The three most important elements after RNY gastric bypass surgery are to meet your daily Protein, Fluid and Vitamin requirements. food is secondary because your body is converting your stored fat into the energy that drives your body. Thus you lose weight. (If you do not meet these daily requirements, they can lead to exhaustion.)

Weight loss is achieved after surgery through meal volume control. You begin at 2 ounces (1/4 cup) per meal and gradually over the next year and a half increase the volume to 1 cup per meal. With this minuscule amount of food, it is next to impossible to meet your Protein daily requirements by food alone, so therefore you need to rely on supplements such as Protein shakes.

After surgery, I spend extra money to have what I crave without giving up the weight loss and high Protein benefits.

Buy Quest Protein chips and get 20 grams of protein from a bag of crunchy chips.< /p>

Heat a Quest chocolate Brownie Protein Bar in the microwave over for about five seconds and it becomes a gooey, chocolate treat.

Get online and find recipes that are bariatric friendly and plan your meals without sugar and flour.

This is a diet and it is a diet for life, so learn how to make it as enjoyable as possible.

I'm not supposed to be on Protein bars till 12 weeks. Just realized today that I'm not supposed to have onions! Thought that was on my list ????. I was so tired this morning I had to sit at the stove just to cook my Breakfast. I can already eat 4 oz of food and I will be 4 weeks Monday. I'm trying to contact a dietician today! Idk what else to do. Just tired all the time, but WANT to go out. Then, because I am housebound, the cravings kick in! At least it feels that way.

Btw, been eating onions off and on for a week.

@@Serena89

I understand that you might have gotten thrown into this because of your previous condition. But you have a plan from your doctor and you are choosing NOT to follow it.

Also you state you are not to eat Protein bars until 12 weeks post op yet you are eating cheetos and candy. I know you want to do better and that is why you are reaching out for feedback.

That being said, YOU have to take responsibility for YOUR behaviors. I get cravings because I have them every single day. That never goes away so you need to find constructive ways to deal with it and get your mind off of it.

The most important thing is that if you eat what you are supposed to, it should keep you full and satisfied.

If you are eating sugar and simple carbs, they raise your blood sugar and cause you to have more cravings and be hungry sooner.

If i were on a fork tender diet, I would be eating fish, chicken and vegetables or eggs, cottage cheese, Beans and greek yogurt. These are things that will provide good Protein, good carbs (not bad ones), keep you full longer and help you to lose weight.

Also, I use Water and milk when I get cravings to keep them at bay. I try drinking lots and lots of Water and that can make the craving go away. If that doesnt work, a simple cup of milk. It turns to a solid, provides excellent protein and fills you up for a while. My doctor required I drink a cup of milk in between each of my meals in the beginning.

Lastly if you have cravings, go do something to keep you busy and your mind off of it. Do some crafts, go for a walk, read a book, take a nap. You should be drinking lots and lot of water and protein shakes. This will help get your strength back. If you are dehydrated, it is likely why you are feeling so tired.

And if you ask for feedback be open to what you are going to hear. We are only trying to help you at your request.

Be good to your body, it is the only one we are given. Best of luck to you.

I am being open, that's why I'm asking for help. I'm too tired to go for a walk. Not making excuses because last week I was walking a half mile. I just talked to the nutritionist and apparently I need 3 shakes a day! I was drinking 1 in addition to my meals. I eat Greek yogurt, quinoa, meats, eggs, cottage cheese, Beans, sugar free oatmeal, etc. I have been trying! She did say a few sugar free hard candies would be okay and to put away the baked chips. I need to get out the XBOX games! ???? I am a stress eater, a boredom eater, and this is very difficult! I find I don't miss sweets as much as I thought I would, just can't wait till the Protein bars to take their place. I want to sew more, but SO TIRED. I have things I need to do as well.... Hopefully I will get there.

No, I don't overeat. I haven't since the first surgery 16 years ago. I just eat the wrong things and have some bad habits. I normally go out more, go for walks and try to stay busy. I guess the surgery took more out of me than I realized. I do go to a bariatric Support group, but they only meet once a month and they don't seem to want to make friends outside that. I was hoping to make some local friends out of that group to go through this with and they seem happy to just answer preop questions and look at handouts. ????

Ok. Ok.

You don't overeat. You sometimes can move around, other times you can't.

Your choices are suspect, at best.

Get the crap out of your house!!!

If it isn't there, you can't eat it. If you don't buy it, you can't eat it.

Period.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

This surgery was a choice the prescription you were given of ur diet was prescribed not a choice. What happens if you are told to take two pain pills and u take the whole bottle ??? You die!!! Same thing goes this is a prescription also. The dr gives them for a reason! Maybe think of that before going out of order and making poor decisions on a prescribed diet!! Maybe try talking to a therapist. Lots of luck!!! Best wishes!!

As a nurse I have seen so many people in out er with complications from not following directions from this surgery. And I could tell you some horror stories. It saddens me to see people have this surgery and then choose not to follow orders and not seeing the harm it can cause.

Eating soft mushy foods 4 days after gastric bypass surgery

I recently had gastric bypass surgery on 11/23/2016. It was a revision as well to remove the lap band I had in 2010. I did well in the hospital and when I got home the first day in eating Clear liquids but soon I became really dizzy and was somewhat still hungry so I took a hash brown patty and microwaved it till it was smooshy and then ate it. Nothing came back up so the next day I soft scrambled an egg and mixed it with the hash brown patty and it was ok except for it felt like things were moving inside my stomach is me being able to tolerate soft mushy foods so soon die to having had the lap band earlier? I just want to stay on track and wound appreciate any advice you could give me... thanks

Oops that should be "due"

And "would"