Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Understanding where the food goes?

I'm getting RNY next Wednesday, 11/16/16!!!! I'm crazy excited and pretty nervous, too. Question is, and I've asked the surgeon, but can't seem to completely wrap my head around it.... How exactly do you get full and have it last? Surgeon said that stomach size will be about 2 TBSP, but fullness only lasts about 4-5 minutes, as the food will travel into the intestines, then you continue eating..

*If the food just moves out of the stomach after 4-5 minutes, how will I get the full feeling to last between meals?

*Is the idea of every meal to eat enough to fill up my intestines and my stomach?

*How much can YOU eat after surgery? How long does it usually take to get the full feeling?

In the beginning, you won't feel full at all. You won't feel hungry, either.

You'll need to limit your volume. In the beginning, you'll only eat 1/4 cup at a time. Later, you'll gradually increase to about a cup per meal.

You are not filling your intestines! When you eat dense Proteins, they will stay in the stomach for a long time. You will feel full for hours. Carbs will pass right through.

I can eat 3oz. of meat. I don't handle beef well, but I do really well with seafood. I then have maybe 2oz. of side dishes (non- starchy vegetables). I feel as full after that as I did preop when I had a pub burger, fries, and pint.

Measure all your food. It's the key to being safe and successful. You will feel full.

Sent from my SM-G925V using the BariatricPal App

I am just almost 6 weeks out and I probably eat 1/4 cup of food. I don't really feel hungry or full ever, but I do feel satisfied after eating a few bites of food.

After my RNY gastric bypass surgery 3 years ago, I completely lost my hunger. I found that it was not difficult losing the weight when hunger was not constantly continuously gnawing at my bones. Prior to surgery when I was eating I was already focusing on what I would eat in my next meal.

The three most important elements after RNY gastric bypass surgery are to meet your daily Protein, Fluid and Vitamin requirements. food is secondary because your body is converting your stored fat into the energy that drives your body. Thus you lose weight.

Weight loss is achieved after surgery through meal volume control. You begin at 2 ounces (1/4 cup) per meal and gradually over the next year and a half increase the volume to 1 cup per meal. With this minuscule amount of food, it is next to impossible to meet your Protein daily requirements by food alone, so therefore you need to rely on supplements such as Protein shakes.

I'm getting RNY next Wednesday, 11/16/16!!!! I'm crazy excited and pretty nervous, too. Question is, and I've asked the surgeon, but can't seem to completely wrap my head around it.... How exactly do you get full and have it last? Surgeon said that stomach size will be about 2 TBSP, but fullness only lasts about 4-5 minutes, as the food will travel into the intestines, then you continue eating..

*If the food just moves out of the stomach after 4-5 minutes, how will I get the full feeling to last between meals?

*Is the idea of every meal to eat enough to fill up my intestines and my stomach?

*How much can YOU eat after surgery? How long does it usually take to get the full feeling?

I'm almost 8 months out and still no hunger...

I stick to the 1/4 cup of food still, no need to increase it at this point. I'm still losing though at a slower clip. I'm really close to goal and that is fine.

I don't know when I'll increase the volume. Perhaps it won't,increase and I'll just up the calories in a serving to maintain.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App