Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

My VSG experience in Tijuana from start to finish!

The price depends on which procedure you choose and which surgeon you pick. They work with several doctors, and I believe the price range was $4300-$4700 all inclusive.

The company is called "a" "lighter" "me" (quotes added because the forum automatically abbreviates it to ALM)

First off, Congrats to the both of you. From a fellow driver here in the states.

Just wanted a bit more info if possible to explain. From what I've read so far on this forum. You are the only one to say anything about the medication. When going to the pharmacy, did they give you actual medication or was it just written prescriptions for when you get back? Im very curious about this. I do a lot of overthinking. So getting hit at the border for soemthing I have on me that I need vs. getting the same back home and having no troubles is better for me. I would rather get something from the Dr. to hold me over till my flight gets me home and see a Dr. Unless they do give you the medication. It's just the border issue. Paranoid. Any info would be appreciated.

First off, Congrats to the both of you. From a fellow driver here in the states.

Just wanted a bit more info if possible to explain. From what I've read so far on this forum. You are the only one to say anything about the medication. When going to the pharmacy, did they give you actual medication or was it just written prescriptions for when you get back? Im very curious about this. I do a lot of overthinking. So getting hit at the border for soemthing I have on me that I need vs. getting the same back home and having no troubles is better for me. I would rather get something from the Dr. to hold me over till my flight gets me home and see a Dr. Unless they do give you the medication. It's just the border issue. Paranoid. Any info would be appreciated.

I got a prescription from my dr on what medications i needed post op. But in Mexico you can buy most meds without prescription and there shouldn't be any issue at the border. I brought meds for my husband for hypertension too. There was a time I was flighting back from Mexico and there was a pharmacy in the airport and we bought meds there to bring home. Anyway you shouldn't have any issue coming back home with your meds they will give you a medical pass for crossing the borders as well.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

Your story was informative. Thank you. I was on another site so not new but new to this site. Were you cut open or did you have laparoscopic surgery? I much rather laparoscopic. Which did you have?

The surgeon provided some medications and a prescription (powerful NSAID Ketorolac, antibiotics for preventing infection).

We were taken to a pharmacy where we could purchase medication and were provided a written prescription from the pharmacist for anything we bought.

I have a FAST Card, so I was very conscious of the risk of bringing pharmaceuticals without a prescription back across the border. We made sure we were totally covered, including a letter stating which anaesthetics were used (in case of a random urine screening, we would test + for both opiates and opioids from the morphine and fentanyl).

Your story was informative. Thank you. I was on another site so not new but new to this site. Were you cut open or did you have laparoscopic surgery? I much rather laparoscopic. Which did you have?

As best I am aware, all procedures are done laparoscopically. I don't think any surgeons are doing open procedures anymore.

@@Missexpress

I was really impressed at the efficieny and care we received.

Our surgeon does 7-8 procedures a day, compared to maybe 7 per week by US surgeons. He is regularly invited to speak at bariatric seminars to physicians and surgeons in the USA because he has so much experience. He's also the only surgeon at his hospital who can perform laparoscopic procedures on BMI 50+.

The surgeon provided some medications and a prescription (powerful NSAID Ketorolac, antibiotics for preventing infection).

We were taken to a pharmacy where we could purchase medication and were provided a written prescription from the pharmacist for anything we bought.

I have a FAST Card, so I was very conscious of the risk of bringing pharmaceuticals without a prescription back across the border. We made sure we were totally covered, including a letter stating which anaesthetics were used (in case of a random urine screening, we would test + for both opiates and opioids from the morphine and fentanyl).

Everything you said is what is going through my mind. Fast pass, Passport, and HazMat for me. So lots of things I can lose driving a truck and having issues at the border with medication. Whether it be for good or not. Thanks again for the information. This will be the most beneficial thing for me.

@@AndrewSS02

I highly recommend it. With the regulations around diabetics and sleep apnea tightening all the time, this is one way to protect your means of making a living. Small price to pay to be even more valuable to a company as a metabolically fit person in an increasingly small pool of drivers. Neither of us has either condition, but the writing is on the wall that life will be cut short if we continued gaining weight and being so sedentary.

We were right back to work (as OTR drivers we have no touch freight) and feeling great. Other than needing a bit more sleep than usual in the past weeks, it's like nothing changed. Except, of course, our bank account is healthier than ever as we haven't spent a nickel on the road since we returned to work. We pack and portion everything at home before the week.

@Hammer_Down

Thanks again. I will be happy for sure. More and more regulations in this industry than any other. Thats for sure. They will only be happy when robots drive.

@hammerdown, this post was and continues to be immensely helpful to me. I am scheduled for 12/21/16, Dr Ortiz at ALM. Your post has put my mind at ease.

My only worry now is the flight home-- mainly, pulmonary embolism! I only have to fly from Dallas to Houston and then to San Diego and back but this is now my one remaining pestering worry. I think it's probably the riskiest thing about flying to Mexico for surgery. I have no known family history of pulmonary embolism. I know it can happen to anyone at any time, but of course surgery and flying certainly raises that risk.

Did you, or did anyone else who went to Mexico talk to the surgeon about this? I'm just putting my feelers out. I'm hoping someone's surgeon spoke about the risk and what measures they take to avoid it.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App