Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How did you decide your goal weight, and did you reach it?

I struggled (am struggling) with what a healthy "goal weight" should be. My surgeon does not set goal weights, and at the beginning of the process mentioned that I should be able to get down to around 200. He is a believer in letting your body figure it out.

I am a very driven and competitive person, so I set my personal goal weight at 185, and really wasn't sure if it was even possible (started at 333). I have since blown by that goal and am now at 159lbs and still losing. I no longer have a "goal" weight. For the last several weeks I am just focusing on my nutrition, activity and health and what happens will happen.

In regards to BMI, I feel the same way about the fact that these are general averages and do not directly apply to individuals. That being said, it turns out I must be pretty average, because BMI seems to actually fit me really well. When I was at 182 (that put me about 18lbs over a "normal" BMI) I had a DEXA scan, and my body fat % was also a couple of % over "normal" - they were actually extremely well aligned, much to my surprise.

I am now at 159, which is about 5 lbs below the threshold of "normal" BMI. I am having another DEXA scan on Monday, and I anticipate I will now be at the high end of "normal" from a body fat % as well.

I'm not saying that BMI will work out that way for everyone, but I was surprised how well a healthy BMI lined up with a healthy body fat % for me.

I started off at 319. I don't do the whole BMI as an end all measurement either. My surgeon prefers to look at body fat percentage more then anything else. My dr said he would like to see me at 170. I am just over a year out from sleeve surgery and am 156lbs at the moment. My personal goal is 140 because I feel that is an average weight for my height of 5"4'. I have already reached the top side of the body fat percentage that my dr said is the healthy range at my one year check up. I think you are probably at a good target of the 160 for your height.

thank you so much. This is extra helpful for me because our stats are fairly similar.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

How about a weight you feel healthy at !!!and all your clothes fit for years? Nothing in my life is perfect, including me, but I adore being at a weight I can MAINTAIN. That is gold to me. GOLD

No more up/ down / all around.

Almost 10 years post op and would not go back for anything!!!

(FYI. Lost @ 100 lbs from highest ever weight , 70 with my band.)

I feel great in my 60's!

Very inspiring, very sane. Thank you!

My "goal weight" is more of a window, because I'm not as much focused on scale weight as I am how I am looking and feeling. I have an image in my mind of what I want to end up being like, and my goal weight is basically just a "jumping off point" for that. So it doesn't really demonstrate my goal, because my goal isn't a weight. It's a state of being.

That's some good wisdom right there. Thank you.

I always had in mind to reach what the tables say is "normal" BMI for me .. which would make me about 138 pounds. I have never really believed that I could get that low. I should add that my surgeon doesn't give a goal weight .. he says I will know when I get there and that is the right weight for me to be at.

Having read this topic I have revised my first goal to 160 pounds. That will put me out of the obese category and into the overweight category for the first time since I was a teenager.

Once I have reached that goal, I plan to let my body decide what weight it wants to settle at. Once I am sure it is the right weight for me, then I will start working to make sure I stay within a few pounds of that weight on the upper side. On the lower side ... well I don't want to get into below weight territory but other than that .. I am fine.

I honestly don't remember if I had a goal weight. I just wanted to be able to be active, healthy and pain free. I decided to lose to a point that accomplished those things but was still easy to maintain while eating and living in a way I could commit to forever. Didn't care if my BMI was 20 or 30. I wasn't willing to make myself miserable trying to "lose that last 20 pounds" just to reach some arbitrary number. So in a way, I let my body pick my goal weight. Started at 295 and lost 160 pounds over about 18 months.

Edited by Dairymary

Before surgery, I had a number in mind I thought would be incredible to obtain... after surgery, as the weight started to come off, I met that goal and kept on losing.

I came up with another number, which I reached and kept on losing beyond that.

Bottom line...prior to surgery I was fat-obese because I ate way too much of the wrong things...after surgery I adapted a new lifestyle of eating only the best, healthiest things, and way less than what I used to eat...

I naturally went up in weight because I ate wrong, and I naturally returned to a good healthy state because now I eat and exercise normally.

It was not me who set that final goal, it was my body that leveled out to where it should be based on muscle, bone mass, etc.

I know I am at the "Perfect" weight not because of the scale, but because of my body fat %...and it is right where it should be.

When my body reached that "equilibrium" , I did not change anything...(how can I eat more or differently with the band?) I still eat and exercise the same as always, and will for the rest of my life.

No diets, not counting calories, just a "new normal"

BTW, BMI's are not very accurate - scientific....if I followed BMI's, I would still be considered "Overweight" and would need to lose an additional 10-15 lbs...but with my current body fat %,being what it is, where would those 10-15lbs come from? Certainly not fat..there is no excess to lose....so trying to lose any more weight would be down right harmful.

I agree 100% with @@Babbs, so I won't repeat what she said.

I'm 5'8", started 281, 6 weeks out am down about 37 lbs and, while happy with the loss, and seeing the floppy, flabby flesh that needs to be worked on already. I've gone from 50% body fat to 47% fat after losing 37 lbs, so I obviously need to kick the exercise into high gear soon to work on those percentages.

The last time I was mostly happy with my weight/size was 183 -- but I was working out HARD 5-7x a week; spinning 3-5x a week and hiking the White Mountains in NH every weekend with a heavy backpack. I want that firm body back, but also remember that I was STILL in borderline plus sizes on the bottom because I'm a pear shape.

My satisfied goal is 160, so I know I'm totally out of plus sizes on the bottom and can shop in one department of most stores without waffling in and out of both regular and plus sizes, plus it seems healthy for my (large) frame.

However, my stretch/fantasy goal is 140. It seems incredible to me, and I won't be upset if I don't reach it, but it IS still in the normal BMI range for me. I think that would be amazing and give me a nice bit of wiggle room for the potential for bounce a couple years out. Not that I want to ease up on myself and give myself and "out" to be bad, but there is the potential for tracking/measuring/water/exercise burnout after being so stringent for years at a time.

Honestly, the more I see the flab, a lower body fat percentage, maintaining my final weight without being TOO obsessive about it, so I can get a more "normal" relationship with food is my goal. I want to always be vigilant, but I don't want food to take over my life again. If I have to kill myself to hit/maintain 140 and am miserable, that's not a win for me. 160 will be fine then.

My doctor did use BMI statistics. I was told my normal BMI goal should be below 145 pounds. I broke out in laughter and told him if I got below 200 I'd consider it a success and set my own personal goal weight as 175 because I thought it wasn't in the realm of the ridiculous like 145 would have been.

I do not lose weight easy. Never have. Was a very slow loser even after surgery compared to most on here. But I didn't get discouraged and I'm not going to be upset if I don't get down to that BMI weight. I'm am still quite pleased with the results and feel much better overall about eating and my relationship with food.

I'm just under 2 months out from my 2 year goal and now 5 pounds away from goal. I may add in a stretch goal of 160 but honestly I think at 175 I'll be working on converting the fat that is left over to muscle. I am at something like 125 pounds total lost (can't see my ticker as I am typing) but still lots of fat to cut.

I don't go by the BMI (and yes, I'm an MD).

I thought I wanted to get to 165 (from 271 max). BUT my face will look too thin, and that will make me look older. I'm looking great right now ~ 180 pounds, wearing a size 10-12/Medium, so I think I will stop at 175 and have the 5 pounds to play with prn. I could have gotten there by now, but I'm not an exerciser beyond walking. Besides I don't want to lose my butt, curves or all my boobs--that aren't as bountiful as before [~saggy sacs]...but they're still good. at 5'5", 180...works for me. Later for the BMI.

I started at 310lb, size 26. I picked my goal weight from the highest BMI I could be to get to the size I was when I felt healthy at that weight (25 yrs ago!). In uk that's a size 16 (I think 14 in USA) . I would be very happy at that. Before I had kids I was a size 10 uk size but that's took thin for me now I would think. No where near it yet though

I agree with all of the very wise people on here who tell you that your body will find a place where it will settle - I'm a bit further down the line than the original poster at 13 months post sleeve. I think I am now nearing whatever my long term weight will be albeit I could probably lose another 10-14 pounds and still be quite healthy looking. I never had any conversation about target or goal weights and have just been carrying on as everything is normal and found a routine that suits me. I have never posted the all the facts about where I started this journey and how far I have come - I started out at 392 pounds, BMI 67.3, UK clothes size 32-34 and am now 140 pounds,, UK clothes size 8-12, BMI 23.9, I still lose about a pound a week so will let this continue for a little bit more although may make a conscious decision to move to maintain quite soon. I guess the lowest I want my weight to go is about 120-130 pounds.

I'm about to start looking for a surgeon to tidy up the aftermath of this adventure but at the moment spend a lot of time in the gym to give myself the best chance of an outcome I am happy with.

I don't think I ever expected to lose as much as I have - I guess everyone has different outcomes from this process, but I think the most important thing for me to remember is the numbers are pretty irrelevant I just want to feel good and be healthy :D

I'm in the camp where your body decides. If you eat right and exercise, you can get to a comfortable low weight you like....

The real feat is maintaining a good number for yourself. Where you need to be compliant... but happy and healthy. Took me years to land there

I know exactly how you feel. I'm 5'5", start weight was 333lbs. I had surgery almost 10 months ago, have lost almost 190lbs.

My initial goal was also just to get under 200lbs. Once I got there, I figured "I can do more", so I set it to 180.

Once I got to 180, I thought I'd make a crazy goal and go for a normal bmi which was 149lbs.

Well, I made it there too! Believe me...this is crazy to me. I haven't weighed this since I was probably 10 years old, and I never thought it was even possible.

This morning I weighed in at 145lbs. So my new final goal is going to 133lbs, which would put me at an even 200lb loss.

Never in a million years did I ever think I'd weigh in the 130's....but I'm going to do it!

And yes, I'm constantly getting the "you're too skinny" crap from people. But I agree with @ "Babbs"...people don't know what healthy looks like anymore. And I went from being so big to now a pretty small person, and I think everyone is having a difficult time with that.

Edited by rydersmama

Good question. I am 5' 3". HW 230, CW 220. I am 4 months out from surgery. I have told my team my goal is 170 as that is the highest weight I still felt normal at. So I could live here and be happy. But my real personal goal is 137, my wedding weight. My stretch would be 127, my lowest adult weight. 127 puts me at the most ideal BMI (not that I put much value in the BMI thing, it's only a guide).

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using the BariatricPal App