Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Shot to Reduce Risk of Blood Clots

I was sleeved almost three years ago. My friend is scheduled for surgery on Tuesday. I am posting this question for her. The doctor gave her a prescription for a shot that she is supposed to give herself twice a day for fourteen days after surgery. The purpose of the shot is to act as a blood thinner and help prevent blood clots. She is using the same office that I used and that three of my other friends have used for the sleeve surgery. None of us were required to do the shot. The nurse advised my friend that it was because she is 40 years old. Two of the others that I know that had the sleeve were over 40 and did not require the shot. My friend just wanted me to ask if anyone else was required to do the shot and if they had any issues giving it to themselves? Thanks for any info!

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

They gave me Heparin shots several times at the hospital, but I never had to give them to myself before or after, but I remember reading posts where people did have to continue to take those shots after they got back home.

I had to do the same thing. I'm 35 but for some reason the surgeon felt I was at a higher risk for blood clots. I never questioned it. I HATE needles and was lucky enough to have my wife take the two weeks off to be with me after surgery. So she gave them to me. Not sure I have it in me to give myself the shots but I know that many people do. There are even some who have put their experience with them on YouTube.

I'm a nurse in a post op setting, we give heparin or lovenox shots to many patients after surgery. Very common and very safe, patients leave with them sometimes or on aspirin or coumadin. It could be based on health history as well that this route of clot prevention was chosen over the others

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using the BariatricPal App

I had 1 shot in Day of discharge and that was it. I'm 41 and haven't had any issues with clotting. Another using same doctor needed 1 week and her husband needed 2 weeks. I think it just depends on your labs, overall health and history

I'm on Lovenox for four more days. It's not a big deal. You just inject with a preloaded dose into the fatty area of your belly. It stings a little, but it beats the alternative of getting a clot!

I had to (44 at the time of surgery). They were really easy subcutaneous short needles. No problem.

yep - i did lovenox injections twice a day for 14 days after I got home to prevent blood clots. From what I understand, it is pretty normal now - especially for patients with a higher BMI that may not be particularly active.

The shots are easy to give yourself - and the nurses will show you in the hospital but basically pinch a little skin in the love handle area and inject slowly at a 90 degree angle. there will likely be bruising - so try to inject a little bit away from a previous bruise each time. And since I did them twice a day - i alternated sides - did my left side in the morning and right side in the evening. the bruising can take a few weeks to go away so tell her not to be alarmed by that and I even had some hard little nodules below my skin from a few of them - doc said that was normal too and about 6 weeks later they were gone.

46 at the time of my surgery, and had 14 days post-op with the shots. I'm a nurse, and this is becoming very standard, and not just for us over-40 set. We're learning so much about clot risk and how many people have been dying from clots and we didn't know, so it's becoming SOP to take more precautions. Some of these changes in protocols are fairly recent, as well.

Oh, and the things WILL cause some hellish bruising, just tell her to be prepared for it. They'll go away after the shots stop, and it's worth it to not have a clot that travels, possibly to the heart, brain, or lung.

I had to get a IVC filter put in and do lovanox shots twice a day

Thanks for all the info! She has never had any type of surgery at all before and is a nervous wreck. I passed on all the comments to her. Thanks again!

I did 2 weeks of the shots and im 29. I didn't think anything of it. They did cause bruising and nodules in some areas. I also think they made me itch. Everywhere i gave myself an injection had itched like the dickens. My stomach got it much worse. I think it's drying up now but i still have red Patches and soreness in the areas of my stomach where i took the shots. Im almost positive its from the shots but im going to see my doctor and see if she can give me anything for the itching.

Sent from my SM-G925T using the BariatricPal App