Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Too much protein shake?

So one of the issues I have always struggled with is Migraines. Since I was 8, they're heredity and not going away. As you can imagine being hungry makes this tough. So my question is am I consuming too much of my bariatric Protein shake? I'm on bari-essentials with no sugar almond milk and instead ID doing 8oz I'm doing 16. Am I making the problem worse? I'm doing 1 cup of broth once sometimes 2x a day and maybe 2 or 3 Jello cups. Everything else is Water. Oh I should mention I've already had one vomit inducing Migraine and I'm taking Tylenol daily.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

Edited by McKinneyMom

Hi, I also deal with Migraines (hereditary). Have you just recently stopped caffeine or smoking? That could cause a Migraine. I have a medication my PCP gave me years ago that has been working really. When I was in my tweens, twenties and early thirties I had them bad boys frequently. Mid thirties to my late forties (with meficatin) I might have one a month. For the medication to work at its best you need to take it at the onset of a migraine. Just a few months ago I was out and about when one hit. By the time I got home my migraine was in full swing. I suffered for a week. I went to my PCP and he gave me this shot and my migraine was gone, all gone in 15 min. I was so shocked that it worked the way doc said it would. I thought to myself "yeah right".

I'm worried about having migraines the closer I get to surgery (stress is a trigger for me) & after when my body is going through the trauma from surgery. I plan to talk to my surgeon about being able to take my migraine pills in hospital? Just in case. If they persist I'd talk to you primary doc. Hope you feel better soon

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-T337A using the BariatricPal App

Thanks! It just sucks not being able to take anything at the moment. I do have prescriptions just can't take them 2 weeks out from surgery. I stopped caffeine a few weeks ago but it wasn't apart of my daily diet anyway. At the moment is the major diet decrease that's a triggering the Migraines and I'm taking way too much Tylenol. This is why I'm doing 16 oz of shakes 4x a day but I'm worrying if that's too much.

My 11-year-old daughter has juvenile Migraines, and her neurologist told us to give her a Protein shake every morning. She doesn't like eating Breakfast, and her Dr. said that lack of Protein and low calories can trigger the headaches.

As long as she drinks her shakes and gets enough sleep, the headaches are controllable.

Sent from my SM-G925V using the BariatricPal App

Long time hereditary Migraine sufferer here, too. My daughter actually was hospitalized with a status basilar migraine for a week when she was 16. Her neuro gave us some of the best advice, EVER. He said don't get hungry or thirsty, those are sure-fire migraine triggers. Also, if you drink caffeine, stopping it cold turkey will absolutely trigger it. Then there's all of the triggers that are specific to the individual - processed meat (nitrates), red wine, beer, aged cheese, weather, hormones, what have you.

The pre-op diet wasn't too bad for me, but I'm convinced it's because my surgeon doesn't have a strict pre-op diet unless you already have liver problems. I was only asked to replace 2 meals a day with shakes, and make my 3rd meal and any Snacks low-fat and avoid processed grains and refined sugars, fruit was fine. I didn't do all of that as well as I should have, but it allowed me to lose a few pounds. I also cut out caffeine, but I did it VERY slowly.

If you're drinking plenty of Water (100+ oz a day is what I consider well-hydrated), and you're drinking shakes regularly, then I would suspect that the lack of carbs in your diet is the culprit. You didn't say if you're pre-op or post-op. If you're pre-op then I would suggest talking to your surgeon's team and seeing if there's some way you can add back in some calories and complex carbs to help with the Migraines. If you're post-op, then all I can offer is to gut through it. I get VERY ill in ketogenesis, and the first 3 weeks post-op I couldn't get out of Keto without eating stuff with refined sugar in it. So I just kept up the Protein and Water and pushed through.

Also, something my daughter's neuro told us... whenever you have a headache (migraine or not) it starts an inflammatory cascade in your brain that will turn into migraines or turn into a string of migraines. He told us on any day we had a headache of any sort, when we went to bed that night to take 800mg of ibuprofen and whatever dose of Benadryl we were accustomed to (I can take high doses because I've taken it forever, my daughter usually just takes one OTC). Obviously, you'll want to check with your doctor before taking any meds like that, but I like to share that tidbit because it has helped us reduce the string of migraines thing, or stress/sinus headaches turning into migraines the next day.

Good luck!!

Look at the fake sugar used - a lot of people have reactions to equal and sweet and low (can't remember their chemical names). I do better with sucralose which is Splenda.

Also, on an unrelated WLS note I get occipital nerve blocks done 4x a year and take amitryptiline to control my used to be daily Migraines.

Are you going through KBI? (I'm only wondering because McKinney is close to where I live) I was having the same issue, using the same Protein with almond milk and they told me to switch to Premier Protein with a Multivitamin. I feel 100 times better. No headache, stomachache, or nausea.

Edited by carlyanncan

Look at the fake sugar used - a lot of people have reactions to equal and sweet and low (can't remember their chemical names). I do better with sucralose which is Splenda.

Also, on an unrelated WLS note I get occipital nerve blocks done 4x a year and take amitryptiline to control my used to be daily Migraines.< /p>

Nutrasweet/aspartame is one of my main Migraine triggers.

sent from mobile device