Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Disability Pre-op

I am having my surgery in January 2017. My body is having problems with pain in my feet, diabetes, etc and I having a hard time working. Has anyone gone on disability before the surgery? If so, was it easy? What do you say? Thanks

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using the BariatricPal App

Don't want to discourage you but I've been unable to work for 18 months and am still struggling to get disability. I too, am diabetic and have dealt with multiple complications. Good luck.

Sent from my iPad using the BariatricPal App

Diabetic here and post op. I've been out of work two years with a horrible back. Sciatica, spinal stenosis, diabetic nerve pain. Leg weakness, just a bunch of stuff, including severe depression and anxiety. Still got denied. Even tho standing more than 5 minutes causes my lower back to seize up and my hips hurt so bad that i limp now. I was so discouraged i didn't even appeal. But i think I'll still try

Sent from my SM-G925T using the BariatricPal App

I used to work helping people with Social Security disability.

You have to not be working for 12 consecutive months to apply for Social Security disability, generally. There are some exceptions but not many. It can take anywhere from 6 months to 3 years to get approved (depending on denials and appeals).

First, if you're under 50, they will make their decisions based on all jobs in the economy. For example, if you are doing a moderate to heavy physical labor job, if they think you can do a desk job, you may get denied (regardless of whether you have the training to do a desk job). If you're over 50, it's a bit easier to get approved. Second, you need to have thorough medical records. Feeling something but not having it documented by your doctor means it doesn't exist as far as what Social Security looks at. It's not easy, unless you (unfortunately) have a terminal or totally debilitating illness.

You should do it if you feel that it's what is best for you. I just wanted to give you some information from my experience. This information is not intended to be legal advice.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

Edited by MissJDVSG

Thanks for the heads up. I think im going to give it another go. Im just hesitant because i feel like if i could lose enough weight I'll be ok. At least that's what my doctors all tell me. Even though I've been dealing with chronic pain and everything else for years now and its only been getting worse over the past few years. I feel so broke down. I just hope all the hype of losing weight to fix my pain is real because I'm only 29. This is my last ditch effort. I really just want to work and get my life back.

Thanks for the heads up. I think im going to give it another go. Im just hesitant because i feel like if i could lose enough weight I'll be ok. At least that's what my doctors all tell me. Even though I've been dealing with chronic pain and everything else for years now and its only been getting worse over the past few years. I feel so broke down. I just hope all the hype of losing weight to fix my pain is real because I'm only 29. This is my last ditch effort. I really just want to work and get my life back.

Well, if you apply again and get approved, you can always get off of disability at some point when you are feeling better.

I understand where you're coming from. I'm 27, and although I don't have diabetes or the other conditions or disabilities you listed, I do have a lot of back pain if I'm walking around a lot or on my feet a lot (like during working out). When I lost a bit of weight a few years back (I went from 350 to 320) my back pain improved so much. Of course, I gained the weight back and my back is painful again, so I'm hoping WLS will help with that.

I'm sorry you're struggling with all of these issues at such a young age. Hopefully WLS will be the tool that helps you lose weight, which in turn helps alleviate these conditions.

You have to not be working for 12 consecutive months to apply for Social Security disability, generally. There are some exceptions but not many. It can take anywhere from 6 months to 3 years to get approved (depending on denials and appeals).

First, if you're under 50, they will make their decisions based on all jobs in the economy. For example, if you are doing a moderate to heavy physical labor job, if they think you can do a desk job, you may get denied (regardless of whether you have the training to do a desk job). If you're over 50, it's a bit easier to get approved. Second, you need to have thorough medical records. Feeling something but not having it documented by your doctor means it doesn't exist as far as what Social Security looks at. It's not easy, unless you (unfortunately) have a terminal or totally debilitating illness.

You should do it if you feel that it's what is best for you. I just wanted to give you some information from my experience. This information is not intended to be legal advice.

Hi

Talking disability.. I got partial favorable.

But the social security office made. Me re apply . Is this true ? And why I already was in front of judge .. please and thank you for info .

I know it's not advice

Linda BYPASS 10/17

I am 53 years old. I have severe osteo arthritis of the spine as well as psoriatic arthritis. I worked until I practically could not walk anymore and ended up getting laid off in April of 2014.

In June of 2015 I had my 6th spinal surgery having 3 levels of my cervical spine fused. In November of 2015 another back surgery to remove a non working neurostimulator that they thought was causing mid back and rib pain. (was not the cause and am still in therapy trying to figure out a solution).

I had my shoulder rebuilt in Feb of 2016. And am now dealing with the other shoulder and neck pain that still has not resolved.

I started the process of disability in April of 2015 and was denied about 8 months later. Then filed an appeal and received word this June that I was denied yet again. I filed another appeal and now have to go in front of a judge which wont get scheduled for a minimum of 18 to 24 months.

The reality is, I would be living out of a box if i waited that long. Incidentally I hired a lawyer right from the start so they know what they are doing.

I literally went through my entire 401K during this time.

So luckily I decided to do some consulting that would allow me to work from home. I started my own LLC and was hired by a previous co worker for this one project that ends at the end of November. The bad news is.....you are not allowed to work while filing for disability unless you make less than 1000.00 per month gross. So, my lawyer told me we are keeping the time in front of the court and trying to go back for the two years I was not doing anything.

It is unlikely that I will find another client that will allow me to work from my recliner with heating pads or ice packs taking breaks whenever I want or choosing my own hours so I guess I will have to refile all over again if they cannot get me moving again.

Filing for disability these days is not easy. I worked my whole life since I was 14 years old. There has never been a time that I did not work and make great money. I paid my dues and now here I sit without any help.

The whole process is an absolute joke. My lawyer told me people are dying waiting for disability to help them and he also told me that nearly every case has to go in front of a judge. It's ridiculous.

I am having my surgery in January 2017. My body is having problems with pain in my feet, diabetes, etc and I having a hard time working. Has anyone gone on disability before the surgery? If so, was it easy? What do you say? Thanks

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using the BariatricPal App

Actually, I was going through the disability process at the time I was preparing for surgery. It is not an easy process. It takes time and an attorney. The process is designed in a way that just about everyone is denied and you must go through an appeals process. The sooner you apply the better. Good luck!

Hi

Talking disability.. I got partial favorable.

But the social security office made. Me re apply . Is this true ? And why I already was in front of judge .. please and thank you for info .

I know it's not advice

Linda BYPASS 10/17

Hmm, I'm not sure about this.

I've seen some partial favorable decisions where the person needed to reapply and some partial favorable where they did not need to reapply. It might depend on individual circumstances as determined by the adjudicator or administrative law judge.

I'm not a social security lawyer (I only worked there for a bit while I was in law school-and I'm still in school so I'm not a licensed attorney yet), so I'm defiantly not an expert.

But if you have questions about your rights in terms of your benefits, I recommend seeking out a disability attorney. Sorry I couldn't be of more help.

Best of luck to you.