Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I haven't told many people about my surgery. I have told everyone I am on a very strict diet program. It is not a problem when I am at home. How do you handle eating with a group of people and you have such a small amount on your plate? Also, for those who had their surgery over a year ago, when eating in a restaurant would you likely eat half a portion? What about when someone has you to a dinner party?

this is a common question. Id think it would be harder when no one knows about your surgery and you intend to keep it that way.

I would think that just talking to the hostess of the dinner party and let her know you are really trying to stick to your diet and ask them to help you out. If you go out to dinner, its hard to just eat a small bit, you always get the waitress/waiter asking if it was okay, etc. try to order off the appetizer menu or order something you know is easy to hide not eating, like Soup for example, no one ever checks how much Soup you ate.

Edited by Stevehud

I've not told anyone about it and I've not had any problems at all. I'd never dream of talking to a party host or waiter about my surgery -- that's like waving a red flag about something that is no one's business.

People seriously don't notice what you are eating if you don't make a big deal out of it. If someone were to ask why my portion was smaller than "normal", I simply tell them that I'm really not hungry and change the subject. I generally order from the app menu, or get a side salad. I am really good at the cut and move method from years of dieting, so my hands are busy, even if I am not eating much.

The less of an issue you make it, the less an issue it will be. :D

People don't notice what we eat as much as we think they do.

I order an appetizer or split with my husband or daughter (or my teen son eats his and the rest of mine) or I take home leftovers.

I'm three years out and still can't eat half a restaurant meal. It's shocking to me now how much food is served.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

At a year when I eat out you can't tell I had surgery. I usually order things I know I can eat all or most of, like seafood. salad is a slider so I can eat a whole salad before a meal. So when I don't eat all my food people assume that I'm full from the salad.

Everyone is different but you learn to adapt. People know I don't eat carbs, so that cuts out so many foods, how I eat doesn't make them curious.

I love going out eat and my doctor advise me to change food because i get surgery in january 2017..

I eat salad and Soup before surgery

Have options i can eat?

Fruits&Vegetables

Soup

salad

Salmon

And lots mores what i eat

I don't eat sweet food or fried food till after surgery

Have you considered telling other people about your surgery? I've done it. It feels awkward at first but I think you'll find more people are supportive than not. For me, that one moment of potential awkwardness beats many moments of repeated actual awkwardness at the table. Good luck!

Went out to eat lunch with my hubby....we both had weight loss surgery this summer. Followed the program no problem...turned out our waitress had had weight loss surgery too! Small world. We don't hide it from people...we don't scream it from the roof tops either, but if I get asked about my picky eating, I just tell them. No one has made me feel uncomfortable. It hasn't been a big deal for us.

Sent from my XT1650 using the BariatricPal App

Have you considered telling other people about your surgery? I've done it. It feels awkward at first but I think you'll find more people are supportive than not. For me, that one moment of potential awkwardness beats many moments of repeated actual awkwardness at the table. Good luck!

Yes

I did tell anyone about my surgery im so nervous under knife not since i had lung surgery at 12 years old i had 1/3 of my right lung lobe but my scar still legend..

Im been wait for four years get gastric bypass after my mom got surgery in 2012 because of insurance..

Went out to eat lunch with my hubby....we both had weight loss surgery this summer. Followed the program no problem...turned out our waitress had had weight loss surgery too! Small world. We don't hide it from people...we don't scream it from the roof tops either, but if I get asked about my picky eating, I just tell them. No one has made me feel uncomfortable. It hasn't been a big deal for us.

Sent from my XT1650 using the BariatricPal App

Wow!!

That good for waitress