Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Possible Band Slippage: Doctor will remove the band but refuses to replace

:help:I have had my band since January 2006. To date I have lost 40 lbs. I know it isn't alot of weight as per my doctor and I agree I could do beter.

I have had four fills since my surgery. A 1cc fill, a 2 cc fill, a 3cc fill and then a 5cc fill. My last fill was about five months ago.

My dilemma:

I was feeling sick (body aches, no appietite, tired) and tried to take it easy about two weeks ago. No vomiting and I didn't eat much.

Last Wednesday, I came home from work and started experiencing on and off severe stomach pains from 7 pm until the next day when I went to the emergency room. The pain was around my belly button and came in waves. I would be in pain for five minutes and fine for ten minutes. On and off.

I had experience an episode like this three months before I had my band. It lasted about two hours and went away.

I laid down and was able to get through the night. The next morning, it started up again and I went to the emergency room. I was given tests and put on pain killers. I find out I have a high white blood count, pressure and fever. A cat scan showed I had a small amount of Fluid in my pelvis. No one would tell me what all this meant. I asked everyone when I was coherant and my husband didn't get any answers either.

I called my surgeons office and was told he was away from the office for the holiday. I explained the situation and requested that he or his partner call back to let me know what to do. I wanted to find out if he wanted me to stay at my local hospital or go to his. One question that would of took two minutes to answer. I called twice and didn't get a call back.

When the hospital found out I had the band their help towards me changed. It was if they didn't want to touch me. I was later discharged and had no clue what caused the pain.

Since my surgeon didn't call me back, I called him and finally saw him earlier this week. He skids around the fact that his service or him didn't get back to me.

We both agree we think my band has slipped from my constant throwing up.

The problem is he doesn't feel I have lost enough weight with the band and he doesn't want to replace the band, just take it out.

He is willing to do the gastric by pass but I am against it. My family member had it and had a bad experience.

Can he do this? I feel that had he called me back maybe the hospital could of done something for me. I feel that 1 out of the 4 fills gave me restriction.

I'm scheduled to have the test to confirm if my band has slipped on Monday. If it hasn't I want to get a new doctor. If it has slipped, I want the band replaced, not removed completely.

I was told by his office that if I try to change doctors my doctor can tell another one that he against me having it replace because I haven't lost enough weight and it's not working his professional opinion. I was told no other doctor will give me fills or touch me.

Can my doctor do this? Will no other doctor touch me?

Several of my doctor's patients have left his office because of his bedside manner, lack of weight loss under his care and his way of handling fills. I was thinking of leaving earlier this year, but I felt he was a good surgeon. Now I feel like I am trapped because I didn't leave and try another doctor.

Another friend who was his former patient had problems losing weight with him. She changed doctors, changed how the fills were done and has been loosing weight steadily ever since.

If feel like I am against a wall. I have been sick for two weeks and I am just so tired and angery because of my experience with my band, my doctor and my hospital stay.

If anyone can please give me some insight, advice or share an experience it would help me greatly.

:help: Lady J

Lady J,

I would TOTALLY call ANY other lap band surgeon and get a consultation before interacting with that man again at all. Its YOUR body. There are MANY other qualified drs. I would suggest your friends, who switched earlier in the year?

regarding a slipped band, i dont know what common proceedure is. most ive read others is that when theyve had a slip they had to remove the band for a time to let the stomach retake its shape, but thats ONLY after a complete unfill.

Id totally go to another dr.

good luck.

(btw..i fly from maine to houston each month because i LOVE my surgeon, and ive not regretted it a day even though im a slow loser too)

Good Luck

Lady J, get a new surgeon, NOW.

It certainly is NOT right that he would threaten you in this manner. He works FOR YOU, not the other way around. Lemme guess, he does many more bypasses than bands, right?

Like Liz said, if you gotta travel, then travel if you can to get to a good surgeon who can help you. Many folks here travel several hours by car or by plane to get to their docs once they find someone they trust. It's not easy, but sometimes it has to be done.

Dear Lady J

I had a revision from band to RNY, and my new doctor never expressed a need to speak with or consult with my original surgeon. You can certainly contact another surgeon. Sometimes US surgeons don't want to "touch" peopled banded out of the US, but my surgeon said that he would never turn away anyone who needs care.

I too would like to know the name of your surgeon and where you live.

take care,

Karen

There is a section on this site for slipped bands. I've read of unfills for a couple of weeks to see if the band will reposition itself before a complete removal. I would contact a different office and ask for advice. I'm so sorry your experience with the band (and doctor) has not been as productive as you wanted it to be. Also, please bear in mind, some people are slow losers. If you get to your sweet spot- you may lose a little more, a little faster. It took me 9 fills to get there and I currently have 3.8cc's in a 4cc band. I am a slow loser (in my opinion) I was banded in 10/07 and have lost 70lbs. I am ok with that. I am 70lbs less than I was a year ago! The weight is coming off, just not as fast as some other people.

As for your surgeons bedside manner- if you are not comfortable, then you should find a new doc!

BTW- what was the end result with your dillema? I see you originally posted on 9/3/08.

Good luck to you-may all work out well!

Edited by thenume