Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

No one in Nov?

Oh, I'm so glad I'm not the only one. That's exactly how I feel about being the last time to eat - it's like my last supper - except it's a very long, drawn-out last supper, lasting a month! My body's reacting bad as well - I've actually cut down quite a bit on the junk food - but at first it was as if I couldn't get enough - some kind of psychological thing going on there.

Other reason for wanting the weight off - just to 'blend in'. I don't care if I'm sexy (well, of course I'm hoping!), but just to be looked at in the eye as if I'm a part of humanity and not ignored and looked past as if I'm not even there - I mean, hello, how can you miss me, but nobody looks at me or acknowledges me.

Linda

Hi Linda..I feel that way sometimes when I go out on a Saturday night - I have friends who get hit on all the time and I sometimes feel out of place thinking that people don't look at me because of my weight (I have a boyfriend..but its nice to feel like people notice you across a room). My biggest claim to shame is that I've not once, but TWICE, been asked 'when my baby is due'!!! :omg: :Banane10:

shinenstar - well, when I was nine months pregnant, a pharmacist was giving me some medicine and I could tell she wanted to ask me if I was pregnant (because the medicine wouldn't be good to take if you were pregnant) but she couldn't get her nerve up because she didn't want to offend me in case I was just overweight. So I let her out of he misery and said yes, I'm pregnant. So, even nine months pregnant people couldn't tell, just thought I was fat - how awful is that?

I know what you mean about going out with friends.

Even though I'm married, I'm not dead! and I'd like to be looked at as though I was good looking instead of a toad.

Linda

I feel the same way. I've been there when the nice looking guy holds the door open for the skinny blonde in front of me and then just lets it go in my face. I've have NEVER been the one to get hit on when out with my girlfriends. I used to always be the one sitting at the bar alone while all my friends were on the dance floor having a good time. I am married now as well but it would be nice to have a guy, other than my husband, think I was attractive. Anyway, a little over 2 weeks to go and I will be on my way!

Got my okay from my primary and did all my lab work. I have kinda started my pre-op diet today. I really don't have to start until Thursday but I am practicing now LOL.

Hi Nessa - I know you are scheduled when I am, have you started your diet yet? Getting excited and nervous at the same time.

Went to my first support group last week and met some very nice ladies. I suggested starting a clothes swap thing, I hope that will take off.:kiss

Ok so Ive already done the liquid diet and then I was taken off of it because my surgery date got bumped up a couple of weeks. Nov 2 to be exact. My DH and I went to eat my "last meal" and I totally understand what you are going through! Then I did the liquid diet for 9 days and lost an amazing amount of weight on it. Now I have to restart the liquid diet next week but now I know I can do it!

I finally got my date. I got my approval letter on Friday from the insurance company. Yesturday I stopped at my surgeon's office and got my date scheduled! It is now November 5th!!! I have an appointment with my Dr. next week and then I get to start my liquid diet. I am so ready to begin my new life!!

I am tenatively scheduled for November 6 but am having second thoughts -anyone else ? I feel like I have tried everything but if I am honest with myself, lately I really haven't been putting in much effort and am worried that if I have the procedure I won't be disciplined enough to follow the diet - spending all this money for nothing ..... wondering if the band will really help to control the eating ... and getting so many different opinions from family and friends I am getting confused !

I had the same thoughts but then I thought......well, this is for my life and to prolong it and spend more time with the family that I so adore. YES it is worth it! You are just anxious, we all are. And until we wake up from that table and prove to ourselves ,it wont go away. We are all here for you and we all understand!

Hi Nessa - I know you are scheduled when I am, have you started your diet yet? Getting excited and nervous at the same time.

My doctor isn't putting me on a pre-op diet. He told me that any weight loss before surgery would be good but that I didn't have to go on a specific diet. I am getting really excited that the date is coming soon but deep down I am pretty scared, not of the surgery but of the lifestyle change. I've relied on food for comfort for so long the mental side is going to be the hardest to overcome.

Anyone else out there quiting smoking as well? I never was a big smoker, maybe a pack of week, but now I am not even doing that. It's been 3 1/2 week since I've had one and I will NEVER pick another one up again. What is the use of getting the lapband to save mylife if I am going to be puffing on ciggs?

Wow I guess I am in that different kinda mindset already as I have opted to go on liquid preop for 3 weeks instead of 2!. How did I ever get into that frame of mind? I don't know. I just thought about all the food I COULD eat one last time, and figured, if I gain 5 pounds, then I have to lose 5 pounds. I figured I might as well start thinking like a skinny girl now. If I can do it now, then I can definately do it after banding. So I feel good about my choice and instead of feeling sick like you KFC eaters, I feel great and I have lost about 6 pounds in 6 days. I figured...it's a lifestyle change and I NEED to change my mindset.

I spoke to the girl at the Dr's office, who was banded last Dec and has lost 102 lbs, and she said that the self pay people seem to be more focused on the lifestyle change than the insurance people. So I hope all of you can think about the real reason you are binging before you do it. I want all of us to succeed. Just take 5 minutes and think about it before you do it..is this fried chicken really worth it? (thank goodness I never liked KFC too spicy)

BTW, the Optifast is going great. I feel great and I am clearing my mind to get ready. You really don't realize how much time you focus on food choices. After you start the liquids, and you don't have those choices to make anymore, you can focus on other things. It somehow relaxes me and calms me.

Patty,

You are doing just what I am. I didn't have to start my preop until Oct 18 but I decided to start it early (the 15th). I have been saying that I am in practice for the real thing.

I agree on the mindset if you are a self pay person. If my insurance was to cover it I don't think I would be as serious about my choices. Not that I wouldn't be serious because it is no matter what, but it is coming out of my pocket so it means more to me.

Good luck!

Bobbi

Bobbi,

Sounds like we are in the same place at the same time...Stick with it.

BTW, my Dr requires Clear Liquids for 2 weeks after banding, then full liquids for 2 weeks, then mushies for 2 DAYS, then soft diet. I find that very strange...

What do you have to do?