Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

No one in Nov?

Thanks Dianne! I am doing very well with not smoking. I know I can quit once I put my mind to it. As soon as I found out I was pregnant I stopped and never took one puff the whole time. Of course, a few months after having my daughter I started right back up. This time will be different! I will NEVER touch another. Congrats to you for staying smoke free for so long!!!

Okay everyone, I am getting so excited/nervous now! Tomorrow will begin my two week countdown. Everything went fine with the problem I thought I ran into yesterday so the first is still on! Tomorrow I am having my pre op at the hospital and then Monday I have a 2 hour teaching class at my doctors office to go over EVERYTHING. Wow! I can't believe it's happening so soon!!!

I don't understand how you can say that because you are paying out of pocket it means more to you. Being banded is the biggest and most important decision of my life. I decided a few months ago, before I even knew my insurance would pay, that I was ready to go full on with this procedure. Yes, I am one of the lucky ones that doesn't have to come up with thousands of dollars but that does not, no way, mean that I wont appreciate it just as much as some who does have to pay out of pocket. I would love to see the studies that you all have come up with that show insurance payers/out of pockets payers statistics. I don't care how much you pay or don't pay if you aren't ready to face this full force you will fail. I am not on a diet now because I have chosen not to. Last month I went crazy with the eating because I felt like I was going to be losing something that I hold dear to my heart, food! Now I have come to realize that food should not be on the top of my list. I have starting watching what I am eating but I will not go on a pre-op liquid diet before. Does that mean that I am not taking this surgery serious? NO Please don't judge us insurance payers as slackers because that is not the case at all!!!! I am sure if you had the privlage you would be just has determined as I am.

I agree completely with you Nessa! I am an insurance person myself and I don't have to pay but I don't see how it can be connected. I can't even keep track of how many people I know that pay for expensive Trainers at the Gym and then don't show up and forfiet their session and $$. I struggled myself with food too. I have cut back on my portions tremendously but still eat almost anything I want for now. The only pre-op my doctor requires is something to lose weight and I have done that with success. Now I know there are many more struggles ahead but I am definitley ready to face them head on.

My doctor has us on "Stage I" Clear Liquids for 1-2 days after surgery, "Stage II" foods; Jello, broth, strained Soups, Protein Shakes, no sugar applesauce for day 2 - week 2 and then "Stage III" Cautious regular foods, like tender meats, cooked veggies, soups not strained, jello, and all others above. We can ALL do this with great support and determination!! Good luck to all!!!!!!

I am an ex smoker myself. I quit October 13th, 2004. It has been over 4 years. For me it was a mind control thing. I too smoke since a teenager and stopped while pregnant with daughter but sure enough when she wa s6 months old I started right back up again with a vengence. I was up to a pack a day. I did the patch for 3 weeks on Stage 1, during which time I kept a carton of cigarettes in my freezer"just in case" I really wanted on I could. On day one I had a 1/2 of cigarette at night, day two the same, and day three I had a whole one that night. After 3 weeks I gave the carton to my smoking best friend and never turned back. About 3 months ago I tried smoking a ciagarette just to see if I could still do it if I wanted to for stress relief and what do you know I got sick for 4 hours from it. I almots threw up. I am so glad to know I a rid of smoking and will NEVER go back!!! Just keep trying no matter what never give up and we are all here for you!!!:clap2:

I'm new to the site but after hearing all the things you are having to go through I feel like I'm cheating a bit.

I checked into some local places where I live but they were all incredibly expensive and my insurance doesn't cover it. I decided to have my surgery done in Mexico to save myself $10,000 and they don't seem to require as much red tape.

I'm scheduled for Nov 30th and really looking forward to it. My family was a little hesitant about me going out of the country but everything I've seen so far in my research has been overwhelmingly positive.

Now I just have to get my Passport in time :)

April - I am going to a training meeting on Monday. There, I will learn what I will be eating after surgery. I went to my pre op today and they did an EKG because I've never had one and I was a smoker. I was congratulated several times for quiting smoking. That made me feel really good!

hi everyone!!

I had my first appointment with my surgeon yesterday and since I already had all of my other appiontments done as well as the lab work I was set up with a surgery date of Nov 6th - as long as insurance doesnt mess with anything!!! I cant believe it will happen so soon but hey I will take what I can get!!

anyone else from NJ here?

Is the KFC worth it? I don't know, I don't like KFC ... but the chips and the chocolate? Definitely! haha. No, seriously, food is basically all I had for a long, long time. I couldn't enjoy many other things in life due to being a largish person - well, everyone here understands, I don't have to go into detail. So basically losing my bingeing, losing the quantity of food, is a bit like losing a friend, one that I'm mourning right now (sounds corny but true). That's great that some people are already gung ho and in the mindset of losing weight way before surgery, but I had to say good bye to food in my own way. I'm glad some others out there were brave enough to say "me too" when I asked is anyone else totally pigging out pre- pre-diet. Made me feel a little less lonely.

Now, as for the insurance/self-pay, I don't care who's doing what, where, with who, we're all getting a surgery done here, people, SURGERY, with all the risks and lifestyle changes involved. I'm sure no one is going into this lightly. So let's just get this thing done and start losing weight together and support each other. Who knows, maybe we'll even have some fun?!

Linda

Yesterday I had my pre-op appointment with the doctor...my surgery is November 1st!! We just talked a bit and he took my before pictures. I then had an hour long session with the nutritionist. My doc requires 2 weeks liquids post op and then 2 weeks mushy. My doc didn't require a liquid diet prior to surgery but he did ask me not to binge and have my "last supper" every meal. He says doing this can enlarge the liver making the surgery harder for him and more risky for me.

The nutritionist gave me a sample of Liquid Protein called Proteinex. It has 18 grams of serving and can just be mixed with a little Water. She says it great for someone having problems getting enough Protein in a day. Anyone heard of this?

Had my preop appointment with the nurse. Signed on all the dotted lines and I am scheduled for Nov. 1. I believe I have to see a nutritionist before surgery but don't know when. I guess I need to have someone take a before picture of me too. I am officially on my third day of my diet and I agree, It will be a long two weeks. Good luck everyone!

Bobbi

Day two of pre-op diet - already lost 4 pounds - I know, I know, it's all the Water weight. Got my hubby to take my before pics.

Take care everyone!

Linda

Hi Nessa,

Just quit today with the patch. Concerned about how the smoking will affect the anesthesia. I smoked about a pack a day. I'm not confident that I will be successful since I have tried to stop a few times before and the longest I lasted was about 3 weeks. I'm getting banded on Nov 9th - I hope I can remain an "inactive" smoker until then! Maybe even forever! Good luck to you on your journey to Bandland!

Maria

Good luck kicking the habit Maria - imagine if you could quit smoking forever AND lose the weight how great you would look and feel!