Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

No one in Nov?

I don't understand how you can say that because you are paying out of pocket it means more to you. Being banded is the biggest and most important decision of my life. I decided a few months ago, before I even knew my insurance would pay, that I was ready to go full on with this procedure. Yes, I am one of the lucky ones that doesn't have to come up with thousands of dollars but that does not, no way, mean that I wont appreciate it just as much as some who does have to pay out of pocket. I would love to see the studies that you all have come up with that show insurance payers/out of pockets payers statistics. I don't care how much you pay or don't pay if you aren't ready to face this full force you will fail. I am not on a diet now because I have chosen not to. Last month I went crazy with the eating because I felt like I was going to be losing something that I hold dear to my heart, food! Now I have come to realize that food should not be on the top of my list. I have starting watching what I am eating but I will not go on a pre-op liquid diet before. Does that mean that I am not taking this surgery serious? NO Please don't judge us insurance payers as slackers because that is not the case at all!!!! I am sure if you had the privlage you would be just has determined as I am.

Hi Nessa,

Just quit today with the patch. Concerned about how the smoking will affect the anesthesia. I smoked about a pack a day. I'm not confident that I will be successful since I have tried to stop a few times before and the longest I lasted was about 3 weeks. I'm getting banded on Nov 9th - I hope I can remain an "inactive" smoker until then! Maybe even forever! Good luck to you on your journey to Bandland!

Maria

I understand that's what the lady said in the dr's office but that does not make it true for everyone that has insurance coverage. Nobody has a right to say that they want it more than anyone else on here. We are all equal and have suffered enough in life. We do not need our internet "support system" saying that because we have insurance we wont appreciate the chance at a happier, healthier life! This just upsets me because we all have been outcasted in many, many occasions and now some of us are being thrown under the bus just because we we have insurance coverage? I guess I can start to list many reasons that I could want it more than some else on here but that is petty and immature. My whold point is that we should not be a divided group, insurance/self pay. We are all in this for the same reason and yes some may suceed and some may fail but lets not point fingers so soon and support everyone on their journy.

Maria - Thanks! Good luck to you as well. I've always been afraid of quitting because I know I would have replace that cigg with something to eat. Now I don't have to worry about gaining while quitting because I am putting all my focus into the lapband and my eating habbits. No time to even think about a cigg.

This just wonderful! I just got a call from the surgery center and the nurse said when I had 7 tubes of blood taken from me they forgot to test my stomach for some kind of bacteria. The nurse said I need to go give more blood tomorrow and cross my fingers that I don't have the bacteria. If I do then I need to get on antibiotics and it may postpone my surgery! I am soooo freaking ticked now. I had all my blood work done about 4 weeks ago. If they would have tested what they were supposed to then I would be good to go! Keeping my fingers crossed that I don't have this bacteria in my stomach!

Oh man.... That is like last week for me. I was supposed to have surgery this Friday and I had been on a liquid diet for a week and a half and then come to find out I cant have my surgery until Nov 2.......... I was ticked and crying.... I will keep my fingers crossed for you girl!

Nessa & Kristina, you two hang in there with the quitting smoking. I smoked a pack a day since I was 12 years old. I quit when I was 43. That would be over 30 years! I "tried" to quit like 3 times unsuccessfully. I would last from anywhere between 3 days to 3 months. The last time I quit was for good on Jan. 5th 2007. I used the patch #14 strength and my doctor also put me on Zyban. Using the both of them really did it for me. The patch was for my anxiousness - I'm sure you know what that is, the thing like... I HAVE GOT TO HAVE A SMOKE!!! It worked well for that. And the Zyban was for my husband. HAHAHAHA!! So I wouldn't kill him in the process of my quitting. Actually, the Zyban helped with the depression you will get not having your long time friend around. It can be like losing a huge part of you and your identity. It so helped me in that area. I stayed on the Zyban and patch for about 3 or 4 months. Maybe you can check with your doc to see if you can get either of them or better yet both? Even though you can get the Patches over the counter now, your doctor can write a prescription for them too for insurance purposes. Good luck to you with the quitting!! You can do it. Just think of the journey your taking now.... getting healthier all the way around!! Not to mention that you will smell better too. :-) And you will be able to smell things that you've not really been able to smell before!! Good luck my fellow bansters! My date is Nov. 5th at the Arnot Hosp. in Elmira, NY. Dr. Moon.

Dianne

Thanks for the encouragement, it really helps! This board has been great I have met a lot of new people and everyone has been so supportive. Good Luck on the 5th! I am going in on the 2nd, UGH. NERVOUS!

My doctor's office called to reschedule my consultation. That's throwing everything off because I can't just cancel classes and take off so I won't get in now until October 30. He has also changed his protocol -- I can't get the pysch eval until I see the doctor which means they can't be done on the same day.

I'm going to use this time to check into other doctors, just in case. This change is a reminder how inconvenient it is to go to another city, even one that is an hour and a half away, when there are good doctors right here in Austin!

I still hope I get to be a November bandster!

Hey Longhorn, I live in Austin too! I am going into Piedras Niegras to Dr Alvarez on Nov 2nd. with free fills for life! Maybe you can look into him????

Hi, Kristina! I'd really rather stay in Austin, if I can. I teach at ACC and can't take off easily. But thanks for the recommendation and I hope all goes well for you. I'll be watching your progress!