Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Cooking after surgery and kids

I am almost 3 weeks post op. I had my surgery on 10/5/16. I am also 20lbs down. My daughter says my head shrunk. Anyway I have some questions about cooking. I love to cook. This making my meals has been working wonders for me. My children are less than thrilled. I have 8 year old twins and I was wondering if anyone had some kid friendly meals that would work for my whole family. I am in the soft food stage but regular foods will come so I welcome them all. I am a mom who does not make meals ready to individually order. You eat what I cook. However, I am feeling bad about that right now.

HW: 425

SW: 399

Weight day of surgery: 377

CW: 358

Surgery 10/5/16

Try not to over think things. I'm not sure what your typical dinners are, but say you do meatloaf one night. Kids get the taters, you eat the meatloaf and the veggie. Spaghetti? Kids get the Pasta, you eat the sauce and the meat. So basically instead of completely changing your typical menu (besides making some modifications to make them healthier, like ground turkey instead of beef for meatloaf) you be the one that's adapting by just eating what you can from it. There's usually always a Protein and veggie, right? You just skip the starch and let the rest of the family eat it.

See? Easy peasy.

PS

There's TONS of great low carb recipes online!

Chances are it's not going to hurt the kids to learn to eat healthier either.. I'm lucky my son is grown and can fix his own meals of necessary.. But he's actually grown to like the healthy stuff and eats pretty much the foods I eat (I was doing Protein n veggies before wls diet)

Munky

Take a typical meal......serve everyone the full spectrum......but leave off the sides and Desserts for yourself......and cut the size of the entree in half.

Start from there and see how it goes for a month.

I will start with saying my kids are very used to healthy meals. Pre surgery meal which always consist of a healthy balance because I am terrified of my kids getting fat. I'll get over that someday. It was a success. My son and daughter were like we got mommy back. I was definitely overthinking it.

HW: 425

SW: 399

Weight day of surgery: 377

CW: 358

Surgery 10/5/16

It's hard when you're dealing with kids. Try sitting down with them and a Low carb/healthy cook book or pinterest and have them help you pick out meals. One thing I've learned is that cooking smaller portions (I make sliders instead of burgers, mini lasagnas-mine with zucchini, theirs with pasta- in muffin tins etc) they can eat more if they need/want it but I'm not overwhelmed.

Also, if I cook chicken, I cook theirs in whatever and cook mine on the side...same meal, im just avoiding the sauces. Worse case if there is something planned for them that I cant/wont eat, I keep a rotisserie chicken from the deli around as a go to meal for me.