Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I'm 4 weeks post-op. I'm looking for ideas on what I can eat. NUT suggested very soft broccoli, sweet potato since I had really bad issues with Constipation. The broccoli does NOT sit well in my stomach. I can eat a scrambled egg, soft cheeses (but trying to stay away), butternut squash Soup, meatloaf (very tender) and tuna. Now I'm bored with those.

I'm returning to work on Monday but wondering what I should pack for Breakfast and lunch.

Any suggestions, please?

Sent from my SM-T810 using the BariatricPal App

I am 5 weeks post-op and it's finally getting easier to eat and drink. I'm still not hitting my Fluid and Protein goals, but I'm coming close and am down 32 pounds since surgery. I teach school so my free/lunch time is limited, and it's hard to drink all the time while teaching, LOL! Here's what my "meal" plan looks like:

Breakfast- a slice of cheese and a cup of coffee (with about 1T 2% milk). I don't have time to cook and eat slowly in the morning, so I grab a slice of cheese and break off little pieces of it to eat while I am getting ready for work. An alternate to the cheese is a Protein shake; I use Syntrax nectar and mix it with either Water or unsweetened almond milk (Almond Breeze).

Morning fluids- If I had cheese for b'fast, I take a Protein shake with me to work to drink during the morning. I also drink Powerade Zero, because I need the electrolytes. If I don't bring the Protein Shake, I try to drink more liquid (clear, sugar-free, non-carbonated stuff).

Lunch- I measure out all my food, aiming for 4T total. I never can eat all of it. Some things I've had success with: tuna salad, chicken salad, egg salad (all homemade, finely chopped and using low-cal mayo), cottage cheese, ricotta cheese (both low fat), apple sauce, Fruitocracy squeezable fruit (i like the strawberry banana), minced meat with broth from the prior evening's dinner, thinly sliced ham to wrap around cheese (1 slice of thin, pre-packed ham with about 1/4 slice cheese, I'll make 2 of these), Peanut Butter (eaten off a spoon- actually I lick at it, not really eat it). IF I take veggies, it's usually canned veg, mushed up pretty finely. I've had success with canned green Beans, carrots, beets, zucchini, baked squash.

Mid-afternoon fluids- I just keep drinking. I have a cup of homemade broth (from roasted chicken carcass or roasted beef bones- yes, I get them from the butcher section labeled "pet bones" but only the FRESH ones, not the prepackaged ones!) during this time- love the savory flavor and as we eat dinner fairly late, it helps tide me over.

Dinner- I eat whatever meat DH is having, chopped up with some broth or cooking liquid. I really enjoy stuffing thinned out with broth, but am trying to avoid the carbs so it's a treat- something I can eat on a day when nothing else has gone down well and I'm way short on calories. It's not protein, but it's food. I've also had luck with mashed potatoes, mashed sweet potato, baked potato, etc., but once again there's that carb thing. Hmmm... that ricotta bake recipe that's going around is OK, but has too much oregano flavor for me to really enjoy. LOVED pizza night on Friday- I ate about half the cheese from one slice and it was delicious!! NO crust or bread product, though! No Pasta, which killed me when I made homemade mac-and-cheese for dinner last week, but I was happy to have about 1/4 cup of the sauce for my dinner! Higher fat than I'd normally choose to eat, but it was amazingly overwhelmingly delicious and it made me feel like I could get through this!

Evening fluids... more Clear liquids, maybe a sugar-free popsicle.

So that's where I am right now.

Thank you for your suggestions! I have no problem getting in my Protein, though my NUT told me to lower it since Constipation is a problem. I'm still able to get 50 grams in as well as at least 64 ounces of liquids. My problem is that some foods sit like a lead weight in my stomach and I'm just not comfortable. I'll try egg salad. Not my favorite, but better than nothing.

I make a seafood salad that i like. It has 4oz of the tiny shrimp and 3oz of the imatation crab (crab snackers, but you could use real crab) and one stalk of celery. I wizz these into a micro dice (maybe the size of a couple of grains of sand) but not pureed in the food processor. I wizz them one at a time because they have different consistancies.

In another bowl i mix 4 table spoons of light mayo, old bay, onion powder and garlic powder. It makes distributing the spices easier. I add the mayo to the chopped food and stir to combine.

It makes 3-4 servings, depending on how much you can get down.

HW 385 SW 359 Sleeved 10/5/16

Thank you, QueenOfTheTamazons, that's different.

Broccoli is rough on a new tummy. For Constipation, try good old fashioned Metamucil. I definitely wouldn't cut down on the Protein because you need that to maintain muscle mass and to promote great healing, but that's just MY opinion. Steamed spinach has a lot of Fiber and is much easier to digest. Less filling, too.

You might want to incorporate more healthy fats to help ease things out, if you know what I'm saying. ;) Olive oil, avocado, full fat cheese.

Beans are a great source of Fiber and Protein so they are definitely a win. Apples if you can have them, but I'd only recommend 1/2 a day max.

The more you drink, the easier you will poo, but a stool softener is not something to be ignored, for sure.

Good luck!

Thank you for your suggestions! I have no problem getting in my Protein, though my NUT told me to lower it since Constipation is a problem. I'm still able to get 50 grams in as well as at least 64 ounces of liquids. My problem is that some foods sit like a lead weight in my stomach and I'm just not comfortable. I'll try egg salad. Not my favorite, but better than nothing.

I wouldn't cut down Protein because of constipation. Protein is too important for healing and weight loss. As @@LipstickLady so wisely stated - take something for the constipation. I'm not on food stage yet but here's some ideas I'm thinking of for that time.

Egg salad, chicken salad, ham salad, seafood salad, tuna salad (mayo or Italian style), a buffalo chicken dip type casserole, ricotta bake (change up the ingredients if you don't like something - I'm not a fan of oregano either), chicken parm bake (will modify ricotta bake recipe), Mexican dip (refried Beans, sour cream, cheese, etc), little meatballs (mushier than usual) with either red sauce or a mushroom gravy (Swedish meatballs - not Swedish fish ????), hummus(with cucumbers once I can have them or added to something else), blended chili, savory homemade soups(no Pasta or rice), egg (quiche) muffins (recipe online) or crustless quiche, you can make the egg, tuna and chicken salad with different things to change it up (avocado, dill relish, dried mustard), cauliflower pizza, soft cheese...

Can you tell I haven't eaten in 3 weeks! ????

Use your imagination and stay with in your plan.

Enjoy!

Edited by KristenLe

Who is DH ?

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

Sorry, my husband; shorthand from a different forum!

Also- I like oregano, but the flavor is VERY pronounced in the ricotta bake recipe- probably because there's not much else there to mellow it! @@KristenLe has good ideas, but make sure your nut/surgeon approves them. Although I didn't have to do purees- "mushies" is good enough- I am not cleared yet for any Beans, avocado, hummus (garbanzo beans), broccoli, cauliflower, onion, whole fruits (unless peeled and cooked, and even that's limited)... a bunch of stuff that they consider too fibrous or too gassy. I am still waiting for refried Beans with cheese, sour cream, and salsa!!!

Edited by leebick

I am taking a stool softener AND Miralax (every other day). I cut down on the Protein through drinks but make up the difference in food. I make sure to get a few cups of just Water in between. I had been eating the ricotta bake and eating soft cheeses. I think that's how the problem started.

Thanks everyone for all your suggestions. I'm going food shopping now. :o)

That was helpful. Thank you, AngelaP600.