Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I eat carbs every day. I just finished a delicious bowl of hot oat bran Cereal with toasted walnuts for Breakfast. But I didn't start eating high carb foods until after I was successfully in maintenance, and I limit what I eat now. Oat bran cereal or groatmeal is delicious and packed with nutrition, and they don't cause cravings for me. bread (just for example) on the other hand has virtually no nutrition and makes me extremely physically uncomfortable after eating just a couple of bites.

Carbs do come up in life but acting like your only choices are to eat noodles and stay slim or refuse to eat noodles, have a breakdown and gain back 200 lbs is kind of drastic. Eating Pasta and rice and bread is not going to help me stay slim -- it may very well work that way for other people, and I completely respect that, but the OP asked for personal experiences and I shared mine.

I asked a simple question.. but in return everyone is getting back with such harsh comments and remarks... the reason we all did this is because we love food .. and now cuz everyone is loosing weight u guys hate food that is just tasty n not that nutritional... talk about hypocrisy

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

First and foremost, The comments above were not harsh.

Second, you don't know why everyone had this surgery.

Third, I don't hate food at all. I don't care for Pasta anymore because it makes me feel like crap. Should I pretend to love it to make you feel better about wanting to eat it? Because that's unlikely, I'm a hypocrite? Seriously?

If Pasta is on your plan, eat it. If it's not on your plan and you still want to eat it, have at it. While you are enjoying your bowl of pasta goodness, try to evaluate why are you being ugly to those who are giving you nutritionally sound post-WLS advice. You asked, they answered. You were clearly hoping for a different answer, and that's fine, but it's poor behavior to lash out at those who chose to answer responsibly.

I think the question was "when did u guys start having noodles" I answered never because I have not started to eat noodles. It's a carb I choose not to eat. I didn't say I never eat carbs. I track everything I eat in myfitnesspal and try to keep it under 60g of carbs in a day. Has it ever gone over? Hell yeah , I've had birthday cake.

Carbs=

That is truly my face when I think of carbs (bad carbs)

i love when people say they will never eat carbs again, one day your going to binge and your going to feel so bad. one day i hate to say it your going to eat carbs, you need to get a good relationship with food to know how to limit. i would love to hear from someone 10 years out saying they have never eaten carbs...

Where did anyone say they don't eat carbs??

I don't eat rice and I don't eat Pasta. Why? They make me hurl within 20 minutes. I don't eat ice cream either because it makes me dump. I know, I am a monster.

@@shrusara Never. LOL Never liked them before surgery and the low carb ones are nasty af.

However, zoodles are great, but I didn't have room for extra stuff until like 6 months.

I gained 20 lbs in x weeks when I went on a cruise and 30 day vacation and thought I could have a little bread, rice, and carbs. It has taken me moths to get off ten lbs. there is no bread, rice or Pasta in my house, and when we eat out I learned to stick to basics and know that I cannot allow myself to ever go back to the things that I love. Comfort food I call it, and I sure miss it. But that boat has sailed.

When did u guys start having noodles?

I think your best bet is to go with a gluten free "noodle" and/or spaghetti squash.. Or make zoodles.. Part of this is learning new ways so we don't end up right back where we were..

Munky

i love when people say they will never eat carbs again, one day your going to binge and your going to feel so bad. one day i hate to say it your going to eat carbs, you need to get a good relationship with food to know how to limit. i would love to hear from someone 10 years out saying they have never eaten carbs...

No one said they never eat carbs. You're coming off as very nasty in your comments. My plan suggests that I never eat bread, Pasta or rice. That doesn't mean I won't / don't eat carbs. There's a huge difference in carbs - some are healthy - some are not. We got surgery for a reason - and I can guarantee you that one day I will not binge on Pasta, rice or bread. I'm not a binge eater in the first place (never have been). If someone has celiac disease - do you think that they just have pasta or bread (or noodles) because it's impossible for anyone to avoid it (as you suggest)? I will be listening and following those that have been successful.

Pasta is one of my go-to emotional binge foods. Penne Pasta with roasted garlic, olive oil, red pepper flakes and parmesan cheese...then a pint of Mediterranean Mint Gelato. These two foods were my best friends for years. Curling up with both of these on a Friday night in front of the T.V. Sadly, I began planning for this moment a day ahead. Going to the grocery store to purchase them was almost as good as eating them.

I did try to introduce pasta back into my life at about 6 months, I thought I could handle "just a little bit." It was a slippery slope, I found myself craving it, plus other carbs like bread right away. I haven't had any since. It's just too hard for me to do in moderation.

I'm 2+ years out, and I don't eat Pasta and haven't since surgery. I'm personally choosing to stay away from anything "white"--pasta noodles, bread, rice, potatoes. They are processed differently in our bodies which can possibly cause cravings and hunger (and weight gain).

I eat pretty clean, because let's face it, eating the way I did before didn't work, right? I was morbidly obese and so unhealthy. The "little of this and a little if that" theory works great for most people early out pre op, because let's face it, you're going to lose some weight no matter what. But there's going to come a time when you can eat more, you're hungry more frequently, and can tolerate pretty much everything. So what's the better choice then? A cup of linguini or a cup of zucchini noodles? A cup of white rice, or a cup of a whole grain rice that's actually good for you? A peice of white, starchy bread with 150 calories,or a peice of grainy whole wheat bread with 80 calories? All that stuff adds up the further out from surgery we are and causes weight gain. I'm choosing to eat more deliberately, both for my health and for ensuring I'm maintaining my weight. I take pleasure now in being able to run a couple miles and fit into size 6 jeans, not just food. I'm not perfect, but I know if I stick to that 90-95% of the time, an occasional english muffin or piece of cake isn't gonna kill me. That's what "moderation" means to me.

What others have said about no Pasta is true. It fills you up with little nutrition and lots of carbs/calories. Instead try using one of the vegetable spiralizers and make "zoodles". I make zucchini noodles to eat with a meaty Pasta Sauce and find it to be tasty and filling. Add a little parmesan and you don't even miss the Pasta.< /p>

On this weight loss journey you learn to think about food in a different way. I like the notion of good foods vx bad foods. You have to decide for yourself if it's worth eating "bad" food - does it make you sick or uncomfortable? does it raise your calorie count for the day to pre-weight loss levels? We know some people gain back the weight they have lost and reverting to your old eating habits is how that happens. It's up to you but as for me, I like my slimmer self and want to keep losing weight.