Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Questions to the ones who Had GASTRIC BYPASS!

Hi Missbeautry16

I had my RNY 3 years ago. I am one of the lucky because I still have no physical hunger at all. BUT....wuth that being said I still fight mind hunger!! It really it's sad that the WLS doesn't fix our heads!! I also didn't have much gas after my surgery. I have gas now but I use PAPAYA ENZYMES and they have absolutely have saved my life. I did become LACTOSE INTOLERANT but some dairy doesn't bother me. Strange but true.Now the best advice I have is KEEP YOUR EYES ONN THE PRIZE!! Remember why you are having this done. Follow everything that your Surgeon and nutritionist guidelines. Everything they tell you help. The Preop helps with your liver. It shrinks it so the DR can get in and do what he needs to do, the have to move it around so if it's smaller there is less chance of bleeding. Postop everything they tell you to do about the stages of food do them. You just had major surgery and our new pouches need time to heal. After your surgery, you will need to sip and sip some more it is very important to get your fluids in the small pouch makes it so easy to get dehydrated quickly. Also get up and walk as soon and as often as you can. I hope this helps you and I look forward to following your journey. Good Luck

I am two years post op and my feeling of hunger came back at about 5 months post op. I think because i was working out like crazy.

The good news is, it does not take much to fit my tummy and if i follow the rules i can stay full for a long time.

The only real pain i had post op was from the gas they pump into you and the only way to get rid of it faster is to walk alot for days. When you do sit, a heating pad helps and when your bowels begin to move again, gas x will definately help that pain.

Be prepared to stick to the plan and really the first few weeks are all about getting your fluids in. that sounds os easy but when you are not hungry it is much harder than you think. If you dont do it, you get dehydrated very quickly which can make you feel tired, nausea and hungry. I learned to keep the Water bottle in my hand and sip like crazy all day long.

I'm 9 days post op and yes I feel hungry...grumbly stomach whole deal but based on what I've read that is unusual. i suspect some of it may be gas/acid. Gas was the worst in the first 3 days after surgery, but walking helps. I still burp when eating/drinking, but I think that will likely get better with time.

My advice for prep would be to try Protein drinks and powder so you find one you like. Have a good variety of Soups for the post op liquids phase and other approved liquids to eat. I have a variety of about 4 Soups I've been cycling through and i'm already bored after a week.

Warmth helps! post surgery I could not drink anything cold. I'm drinking a lot of warmed crystal light and warm soups and I'm warming my Protein shakes too.

Hi!

I'm almost seven months post-op. I lost 82 lbs.

So I'll share my experience :)

So after you had gastric bypass surgery do you still feel hungry or not?

Yes. Both actual hunger and head hunger (aka cravings).

But I only felt actual hunger after 90 days.

Did you have any gas pain?

Yes, I had gas pain. For me what helped (and still does) is: walking. Also, ask someone you love to tap your back to help break the gas... Like someone would do with a baby.

What is the most important thing to prepare myself for this surgery in November?

The first 15 days are tough, but hang in there. It's the best thing I ever did.

I am only 3 weeks post op, I do not feel actual hunger. My stomach will growl sometimes if I forget to drink my shakes or try to get something in me at all. Other than that, I deal with head hunger, usually when my family eats something that I can't, like pizza. I really haven't had any gas pains either, but I do have more gas than before (I hope that goes away). Every body is different though. Good luck to you.

HW: 267

SW: 260

CW: 245

GW: 130

RNY: 9/26/16

Sent from my LGMS428 using the BariatricPal App

Edited by Gordita81

my hunger came back at six months out. It doesn't take nearly as much to satisfy it as it did pre-surgery, though

and like others have suggested, stick to your plan...

Great post! Great advice too!! I am still waiting on my approval... and it seems I am not nervous about the surgery at all, but the thought of eating and making decisions on my own after surgery and sticking to the plan after surgery TOTALLY FREAKS ME OUT!!!! Can I do it? What if I fail? What if I screw up? Will I know what to do? Will I be able to tell if I am full? Will I be able to resist the cravings? Am I strong enough for this? No lie... totally freaking out and I am not even approved yet. Anyone else go through this?

I have felt hungry since about a week after surgery. Still working on the head huger part. And I've never felt a lot of restriction like some people.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

My hunger came back around 4 months post-op. I'm close to 8 months post-op now and the big difference is that the hunger isn't anywhere near as intense as pre-op. I describe it as more of a gentle reminder to eat than a ravenous hunger. I hope it remains this way as it's a heck of a lot easier to lose/maintain weight when you aren't starving!!!

Yes I had hunger after my surgery on September 14 , but I didn't want to eat or drink anything. Gas pains yes had them to by the gas they put in you during your surgery. But walking helps the gas to pass. Very important to walk. The most important thing to prepare for is the discomfort, the hunger you may or may not feel everyone is different, being able to only sip liquids, Water . but most important that the hunger will come , it's all in your mind though, you gonna want this want that but you can no longer have them

Sent from my N9520 using the BariatricPal App

At nine years out, I have only been hungry once. I was busy and went about 10 hours with no eating and was vey hungry. I make sure I have about a 200 calorie snack three times a day in addition to three meals of about 300 calories each.

Eating simple carbs can also cause hunger to RNY'ers.

Do not eat anything with sugar, flour, bread, rice, potatoes, Pasta or Cereal and you may never be hungry again.

All you need is Protein, Water and non-starchy vegetables.

laneydasilva sometime if you eat to much or drink to much it will feel like it is stuck in your throat and chest. Just try to eat slower and measure what you are taking in just to make sure that isn't causing it. It WILL get BETTER I promise!! Hang in there.

Beware of buying to much Protein Drink ahead, I speak with the truth your taste might change after your WLS. I would really hate to know how much I have spent in my 3 years for Protein stuff to just give it away. I'm lucky because my Grandkids think if NANA eats it it is GREAT!! LOL I also have a nephew that does Protein to be heealthy so he got quite a bit too.