Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Big Con

kudos to you sir for being a supportive husband - any surgery is risky - but this really was a piece of cake (oops I said cake) it totally works if you put forth the effort - you can cheat it unlike bypass (correct me here) Lap Band is just a tool but effective - still have to watch what you eat and how much, still have to get some excercise in every day - and it's expensive if you have to self pay but it totally improves the quality of your life, I really can't say enough good about it.

I'm pretty sure you can cheat with the bypass, why would you not be able to?

I think eventually you can cheat with the bypass or so many people wouldn't gain their weight back. I think it's great you and your wife have both endeavored to get more information before she gets the lap-band. You are showing partner support that is so valuable during this entire process. I, personally, don't care what you name your post or how you word it when you're just trying to get better educated!!! This is important stuff and kudos to you for getting in there and making the effort. In fact, the name of the post and its content probably drew more of us to view your message, hence more responses!!! Best wishes to both of you.

Sallie

I am 55...tried every diet known i think..banded in April 2003..lost 95-98 lbs...maintaining for over 2 yrs... When is the last time you maintained for 2 years??...need I say more???

Go for the dream!

deb

it gets old reading a what a few of these nattering naybobs of negativity have to say about the band - c'mon people educate yourselves before you come on here and bitch and moan about the lap-band - for most of us it's been a very positive rewarding experience -

exactly!!! i dont understand why an uneducated person would just come on here..sign up just to bitch and TRY to say negative things...i have had my band for 10 days and lost 17 pds already..

to lose any weight of course you cant just eat everything in sight and not budge of your freaking couch... the band is a tool to help you..

wow some people just amuse me!!!:o

Dear Jiggleypuff and all

I have a confession to make.

The fact is that my wife, (savery), is thinking of getting banded so she tried to get me to agree but I was dead against it. But I said that I would look for a forum to find out more about banding, and found this one. My wife is completely computer illiterate and has never even touched a keyboard so I agreed to post this thread to get more info for her. So it's my fault that I called it a BIG CON, not my wifes. As it happens the replies have changed my mind and I now think that it would be a good idea for her to get banded, she is 300lbs. Maybe you could get your husband to read some of the posts - he might change his mind.

I hope the moderator doesn't mind me posting on behalf of my wife.

Once again, thanks for the replies about taking tablets, you have all been most helpful. No doubt my wife will have other questions to ask in due course.

Brian.

Brian, I had to laugh when I saw this. I thought you were pretty darn creative to get the answers you were seeking! Glad we could help! It's hard to believe that something so "simple" really does work....but we are here to prove it! I hope your wife has great success!!

Now that is a first...get us stirred up to get the answers you need..IT WORKED!!...Tell wife that for me and for many others it is the very best gift I have ever given myself...well...now the size 6 jeans are..haha.. My health is so much better that it amazes me. I have more energy now at 55 than I did at 35..Go for the dream!

deb

"The band is a con." Yes. Of course it is. And the world is flat. Diets work and Britney Spears is a good mom.

I've been studying posts herein for awhile. No-one who hath been banded is on a diet. Not one of them. They are certainly enjoying challenging new ways of eating, but then, isn't that the point? Eating too much too fast too often is the culprit. Eating less, slowly and when hungry may not be what the food industry has in mind for us, but it is the way bandsters eat. It's not a diet. It's a lifestyle change that will help us enjoy what we eat more fully, because there's no third bite. Anything after two bites is just for show, any way.

I will be banded in 10 days. I swear I hear a chorus of angels praising my decision.

You want a con? Let me introduce you to my former husband.

You want to live healthy and eat joyfully: get banded.

Darr

Dear Jiggleypuff and all

I have a confession to make.

The fact is that my wife, (savery), is thinking of getting banded so she tried to get me to agree but I was dead against it. But I said that I would look for a forum to find out more about banding, and found this one. My wife is completely computer illiterate and has never even touched a keyboard so I agreed to post this thread to get more info for her. So it's my fault that I called it a BIG CON, not my wifes. As it happens the replies have changed my mind and I now think that it would be a good idea for her to get banded, she is 300lbs. Maybe you could get your husband to read some of the posts - he might change his mind.

I hope the moderator doesn't mind me posting on behalf of my wife.

Once again, thanks for the replies about taking tablets, you have all been most helpful. No doubt my wife will have other questions to ask in due course.

Brian.

When it comes to banding I don't really believe you can research too much. You can't ask enough questions, you can't know too much. There is a great deal to learn to be successful.

I don't think it really matters if it is you or your wife posting. You both need to know everything there is to know about banding. You have come to the right place.

I agree with TerriDoodle, we have spent so much money on weight loss gimmicks and fads that we just don't believe anything works anymore. There was a poll on this forum some time ago, it was a "Would you do it again" poll. As I recall over 90% of the people said yes, they would. Less than 10% said no, they would not.

I don't think everyone is cut out for a band. People that just aren't ready to give up food are not going to be great for banding. A friend of mine has lost 50lbs since surgery. I forget exact numbers now but she lost quite a bit on the pre op and post op diet. She is hardly losing at all now (surgery 2/1/07) but, she isn't ready to give up food. She was in tears at her first fill in fear that she couldn't eat in huge quantities again. She needs a fill now and refuses to get one, she's just not able to wrap her brain around normal portions of food. She's larger than your wife.

She eats her 800 calories daily in food and 2000+ calories DAILY in chocolate and crap. She won't get a fill, she won't exercise, she won't make good food choices, she won't chew her food well so she PBs and claims she's too tight. She won't work the band. So the band isn't for everyone. I still have hope for my friend but I'm telling you, it's not a fast process in her case.

Matter of fact, I need to PM a person that has been helping me to help my friend. I'm at a loss, I don't know how to support her at this point.

Anyway, my point is to keep posting, keep asking the tough questions, keep learning about the band, how it works, how to choose a surgeon, how to do everything. You just can't know too much. Then you and your wife can make decisions.

I would read the following links (can't remember if I posted them already):

Tracy's FAQ I know the owner of this site and she was banded in Mexico. Much of this is about surgery in Mexico but certainly not the bulk of it. It answers just about every question on banding.

LAP-BAND: Surgery Technique Interesting and informative.

BMI Calculator A must know for every person considering banding or any WLS.

Weight-Loss Surgeries Compared Another must know for newbies.

Keep reading, it doesn't matter if it is you or your wife posting. Just make sure you both are as informed as possible.

Savery: I can understand what you are asking even if you did choose slightly inflamatory wording...I have had many of the same questions at times. I think what makes attempting weightloss WITH the band so different than WITHOUT the band is the fact that somehow the band gives you a baseline satiety...meaning you feel more sated and less obsessed with your next culinary conquest. At least that is my short experience with my band. I'm a newb and no expert, but that's what I notice. Good luck, I hope you find the path that's right for you to achieve health and happiness.

Brian,

I totally see where you are coming from. I'm glad you were so willing to do this much research for your wife. I've seen many post from people where their SO wont do any research, they've decided it's bad and they wont be supportive about it. I've also seen posts where AFTER the person gets the surgery, without their spouse's support, their spouse finally learns some things and turns around. Your wife is lucky to have you supporting her so early in the game :eek: