Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

NOT WHAT I EXPECTED IT TO LOOK LIKE

So when i was at my highest , i had weights that i felt like i would be happy with. Now that im hitting those numbers i'm happy the scale is moving but thought i would look different.Anyone else going through this ? I thought 170's would be cool not my goal but i size but before surgery it sounded good. Now i just feel a different kind of fat, still big....who else is finding these lower sizes are as satisfying as you thought

I think there are a couple of issues here. One is that most people have a hard time seeing the weight loss on themselves, when they look in the mirror they still see their former fat self. It helps to look at pictures of yourself before the surgery, comparing them to current pictures. Also, taking measurements helps. Once you see the numbers getting smaller and smaller it may sink in. BUT it usually does take time for the mind to catch up.

Also, were you overweight for a long time? Or did you used to weigh 170's, as an adult, and feel good at that weight? People who have been overweight for a long time (or all their lives) don't have any idea what they will look like at lower weights. They have a hard time picking a goal weight because of that.

I know for me I weighed in the 140's in high school and thought I was huge. I look back at pictures now and can't remember myself ever being that small. At my current age I don't even know if it would be possible for me to ever get that low again but I also don't think I am going to feel small until I get really low.

Are your clothes too big? That would be a good sign in my book!

Another thing to keep in mind is we can't choose where we will lose the weight. People will start looking small in their upper bodies, and their faces will look skinny, but they will still be big on the bottom. Women will lose their boobs but still have a big stomach or butt. It's sad we can't pick and choose where we want the weight to go away first :(

Thanks i take pics compare and also take measurements.. I've been overweight for my height since forever. Was in the 170s about 4 years ago. But i guess at almost 230 i never really felt that big i always felt like i was a few lbs away from healthy... Lol lies so i guess my issue is i can't trust myself.. My eyes clearly lied to me for years

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

@@Womanvsmirror you need to really look at yourself and include how you feel I that assessment :) you are also under 5 ft and I think, in general, you will probably "see" skinny in the 135 lb range or less. I am 5'8" and at 175ish I feel pretty good but would feel skinny closer to 150...

just my opinion.

some may be that it takes your brain awhile to catch up to your weight loss. And some may be that at 4'11", 170 is still technically obese. I looked good at 170, but I'm way taller than you. You'll probably continue to lose weight and will feel really differently once you start hitting 140-ish and lower. Hang in there!!!

I think for me i never felt fat. Not even at my highest. I guess some of it is cultural. Being aa, and in the south "THICK" is used to explain away obese. Nobody had a problem with my weight except me. Never called names to my face, hair and makeup is a hobby so I've always been the "pretty for my size" girl. I think now that i look back at pics and really see myself for what i was, i wonder i can i trust what i see if i couldn't see that?

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

I'm at my goal size (Size 12 - but not my goal weight), and there are days where I still feel huge. Plus, I'm still shaped the same, just smaller overall. I wonder what it would take so I don't feel that way anymore? Therapy is helping, but it's another daily battle that I'm fighting.

@@Womanvsmirror

Your name says it all. Its a struggle to fight what we see in the mirror. the weight loss is a rapid change in our appearance. You may see yourself in the mirror incorrectly for quite a while. It will take time for your mind to catch up.

I totally understand where you are coming from. Like I always thought if I could get back into the 190's I'd be satisfied. BUT I knew that when I was in the 190's before I thought I was disgustingly fat and really wanted to lose weight before I got into the 200's. When I was in the 170's I thought I was fat and just a chicken and biscuit from 200. So I never forgot my body image at any of these weights. Although the scale is descending and I am happy about that I always remember where I came from and where I'm trying to go. I'm also trying to appreciate the things that I can do at my current weight vs my highest weight and try to live in the moment.

I think most of us still see the fat in our mirror's. I'm 3 years out and there are days that I still feel FAT!! I weigh 125#'s now and have maintained my weight loss ( all except a 8# gain) for 21/2 years. Do you know how long it took me to stop heading for the PLUS SIZED clothes. When I went shopping my daughter would say, Look Mom this will fit you. Of course I would argue that it wouldn't and it did. My STATS: HW 249 ( I did weigh 285#'s before but managed to loose some) SW 232 LW117 CW 125#'s. I now wear a med blouse and a size 6t to 8 jeans. Now I weigh less than I did when I got married at 17 years old, I weighed 145#'s then and I thought I looked FAT!! I didn't know what FAT was!! I may weigh less now but I don't look any thing near to what I did back then. Whenever I lost weight my skin never never looked like it does now. I had a Panni and my PS removed 10 plus #'s but I still have skin issues that I don't think I will have surgery for now. I'm 60 years old and I have found clothes can hide a multitude of sins!! I belong to a few other support groups and it is so nice to be able to see that I am not the only one that feels like this. I think women think it more than men but I don't know the statsitics on that. One of the thing that I have heard is to take a pcture in a door way then use the same doorway to measure your sucess with because our minds can play with us very hard. Good Luck in your journey!!

I can relate. I'm down 80 pounds from my highest weight but am still clinically obese. I can really notice the weight loss now but at the same time I feel like I notice my fat even more. It's so weird to be seeing two things at once if that makes sense.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

it does take your mind forever to catch up with it. I find myself looking in dressing room mirrors when trying on clothes, lamenting on how "fat" my stomach and butt are. I am now exactly 6 lbs overweight. Eighteen months ago, I weighed almost 400 lbs. Really??!!!???

I am now down 87 lbs. and feel I have a long way to go, so never really see it yet.

My son and wife keep saying I am really getting slimmer, but not till I recently tried on cloths that I have not worn for over 7 years (Last time I was just overweight, not obese), am I starting to realize the immense changes happening.